How to Talk to An Atheist.............

MissileMan said:
I was watching the "The Greatest Story Ever Told" this weekend and in the movie, Jesus used the word commandment, not command, but it sounds like the same thing to me.

John 13:34
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another."

Which is actually brilliant in it's simplicity..You can do away with all the other commandments if you just practice this one which in effect encompasses all the the other ones. If we were to actually love others as God loves us, there would be no murder, adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, abortion, coveting they neighbors goods, disrespecting parents...and so on Hence we have the embodiment of the New Testament...

Bonnie said:
Which is actually brilliant in it's simplicity..You can do away with all the other commandments if you just practice this one which in effect encompasses all the the other ones. If we were to actually love others as God loves us, there would be no murder, adultery, stealing, bearing false witness, abortion, coveting they neighbors goods, disrespecting parents...and so on Hence we have the embodiment of the New Testament...

I'm not arguing against the concept. It's a close parallel to the golden rule.

I brought this up because someone was suggesting that there isn't any room for adaptation or compromise in religion; that the rules and standards are totally inflexible, yet this fundamental principle is frequently cast aside for petty, personal reasons. There seems to be an attitude from some that everyone else (non-Christian) is expected to meet Christian standards of morality even though they themsleves fail miserably to meet them.

MissileMan said:

I brought this up because someone was suggesting that there isn't any room for adaptation or compromise in religion; that the rules and standards are totally inflexible, yet this fundamental principle is frequently cast aside for petty, personal reasons. There seems to be an attitude from some that everyone else (non-Christian) is expected to meet Christian standards of morality even though they themsleves fail miserably to meet them.

MM, there are Christians who are still learning the ropes--they screw up--don't judge the whole barrel by a few bad apples.

dilloduck said:
MM, there are Christians who are still learning the ropes--they screw up--don't judge the whole barrel by a few bad apples.

I'm not judging anyone...not my place. I was merely providing a counterpoint to some posts that seemed to lump all non-Christians into one immoral, devious, heathenistic pile.

MissileMan said:

That is true, we all screw up most of the time. I have met some Christians who indeed preach from the pulpit of self proclaimed perfection, thankfully not many though. Most Christians and Catholics I meet really just want to do the best they can each day, and are genuinely concerned for others who for some reason really have a bad taste in their mouths about Christian religion. It's one thing to know what the true essence of Chrisitanity is and then decide not to embrace it, but it's really sad in my opinion to disavow oneself from the faith based on total misconceptions that others here have posted regarding their notions about Christianity, because they were turned off at some point in their lives. I'll tell you what my priest tells us to do to spread that faith to others, 1, pray for everyone, and 2, lead by example. No beating over the heads with iron frying pans, and no yelling or demeaning of anyone. They have never said non christians are horrible people that are condemned to hell etc,.

But yes that "golden Rule" is truly what Christianity boils down to.

MissileMan said:
Always nice to hear from a member of the "If you ain't Christian, you ain't shit" coalition. Why do you always accuse a non-believer of having some insidious motive for coming to the conclusion that there is no God? I came to that conclusion a long time ago, for no other reason than God's existence makes no sense. But, why not look to your own house where I see very few Christians following the 11th commandment given to them by Christ?

Always? I didn't say "always", I said "My observation is that people who don't believe in some part of a faith often do so because if they DID believe in it, it would require them to change".

Also, did I say anything even remotely akin to what you're accusing me of? Just where did I say anything about one religion being better than another especially Christianity?

The point I was trying to make is that religion was not meant to be an "alla-carte" (i.e. pick what you want to believe") affair. It seems oftentimes people claim they believe or don't believe in something when in fact they don't want to change their behavior. A structured belief system doesn't allow that.... many religions require a certain standard of behavior.

Of course, you prove a point that has been made in the past.... it is fashionable and in some cases expected that Christianity is open to attack but hands off all the other faiths (or lack thereof). In fact, in some cases, people attack Christians as a reflex action, without even thinking about it. Whereas, Christians are expected by some to tip-toe and sidestep around everyone else's belief systems in order not to offend them.

BTW.... you find what you're looking for. If you expect to find bad Christians, you'll find them. If you expect to find saintly ones, you'll find them, too.

BTW2 ... what is the "11th commandment"?

ScreamingEagle said:
I believe there is an ultimate name for "liberal spiritualism": Communism

here is their church -- http://www.shareintl.org/

Many now expect the return of their awaited Teacher, whether they call him the Christ, Messiah, the fifth Buddha, Krishna, or the Imam Mahdi. Millions now know that the Teacher who fulfills all these expectations is already living among us.

Maitreya, the World Teacher, has not come alone, but with a group of wise Teachers who have long guided humanity from behind the scenes.

They are returning to the everyday world to help us solve our most critical global problems. Maitreya is not a religious leader, but an educator in the broadest sense.*

He is here to inspire us to create a new era based on sharing and justice, so that all may have the basic necessities of life: food, shelter, health care, and education.*

His open mission in the world is about to begin. As Maitreya himself has said: 'Soon, now very soon, you will see my face and hear my words.'

http://www.shareintl.org/magazine/SI_main.htm
Share International magazine

Share International Foundation is a non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO) in association with the Department of Public Information at the United Nations.

Share International covers news, events, and comments bearing on the priorities of Maitreya, the World Teacher: an adequate supply of the right food; appropriate housing for all; health care and education as universal rights; and the maintenance of ecological balance in the world.

MissileMan said:
I'm not judging anyone...not my place. I was merely providing a counterpoint to some posts that seemed to lump all non-Christians into one immoral, devious, heathenistic pile.

Could you point out a few of those posts for me? I guess I'm failing to see what you are referring to.

KarlMarx said:
Of course, you prove a point that has been made in the past.... it is fashionable and in some cases expected that Christianity is open to attack but hands off all the other faiths (or lack thereof). In fact, in some cases, people attack Christians as a reflex action, without even thinking about it. Whereas, Christians are expected by some to tip-toe and sidestep around everyone else's belief systems in order not to offend them.

You also said, "Or, it's probably more likely that some people don't really believe in anything because after all, beliefs get in the way of a good time?"

This appears to be an accusation against atheists, if I misread it, I apologize.

KarlMarx said:
BTW2 ... what is the "11th commandment"?

See post #18

Missileman, check this. If people believe you're going to hell, that's their right. They cannot touch a hair on your head, but they may fancy you damned. It's called free thought.

MissileMan said:
You also said, "Or, it's probably more likely that some people don't really believe in anything because after all, beliefs get in the way of a good time?"

This appears to be an accusation against atheists, if I misread it, I apologize.

See post #18

Actually the real commandment is also known as the Great Commission. As Christ ascended to Heaven He said....

Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age

Matthew 28:19

Forum List

Back