How To Survive The Toxic Relative

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
Everyone has a few and if we don't, many of us acquire them by marrying. Some you can only avoid -- the groper, the racist, the preacher. But others can be managed and most of us would like to spend time with our families, even if they do include some low hanging fruit.

So, what to do? Here's a guide.

* Usually, these tensions arise in a struggle for dominance over an event or a third person, like your MIL who insists you should give choking hazards to your toddler. Think this through. If you do in fact have control -- that is your baby, after all -- assert it in whatever way you must, up to and including leaving/asking your MIL to leave.

If you don't, you don't. If your SIL treats you like a day laborer at her house during the dinner she is hosting, know this and acknowledge that by going, you've agreed to subject yourself to this treatment. Accept the things you cannot change, blah blah blah.

* Some of the tension occurs because the family group stays together too long. If a post-prandial period of several hours is your family's motif and you generally want to kill a few after leaving, then skip it this year. Claim you have a second engagement (be nice to actually have one, as most of us suck at lying), grab your coat and go. If you plan to do this, park on the street; don't expect your relatives to move their cars if they have blocked yours in the driveway. Most families are an Ode To Passive-Aggressive Behavior.

* Love Grandma but can't stand the Aunts and Uncles? Take Grandma to dinner on Friday or Saturday and skip the Thursday nightmare.....but let her know ahead of time. Call during dinner and wish her a happy day, and mebbe send flowers so your love is there. It's just you who is missing.

* Everyone has the same Norman Rockwell fantasies of family Thanksgivings, and most of us have a few relatives who'd more easily have stared in "Pyscho". Ratchet down the expectations and needs. Don't weep over how Uncle George did it again this year if he's been doing whatever makes you cry for 15 years. Expect your family to act like themselves -- chances are, they will.

* Newly married? Odds are overwhelming your in-laws have customs they treasure which you find bizarre. They are anxious to assure themselves your spouse has not left their tribe by marrying you, so if the rituals are not morally noxious, cave. Then take your new spouse to your family on the next holiday for the same treatment in reverse. Or better yet, stay home and mebbe host a few occassions yourselves that are relatively weirdness-free.

The very worst thing you can do is decide a situation is likely to recur, is repugnant to you, but you "must" go anyway. There's no law that says you "must" do any one thing on the last Thursday in November. Go with a "grin and bear it" attitude or skip the doosey doh and play "Grand Theft Auto" with your friends.

Either way, I hope you all survive and thrive!

Happy Thanksgiving, USMB-ers.

Madeline, I never had this problem, perhaps I am one of those you are talking about?

J/k I just never put up with those types. They may get mad at me but then would get over it. If not it is their problem.

heh, you should do a poll: which USMBer is most likely to be a toxic relative?

I'd put Queasy, CG and Stephanie at the top of that list.

:lol:

It's me. I'm so toxic that my family have flown thousands of miles to avoid me.... Oh, wait... no.... they've done the opposite. Yay.

What a sad bitch you are, Ravi. :lol:

When we have these family get-togethers I spend nearly the whole time laughing my ass off at some of the dopes. Most are pretty nice people but there are a few knuckle draggers.

It's me. I'm so toxic that my family have flown thousands of miles to avoid me.... Oh, wait... no.... they've done the opposite. Yay.

I think someones family has a butt load of money.

Are you one of the Hilton girls?

A Round trip ticket from D.C. to L.A. in December is $309. Not exactly a "but load" of money. Dude. :cool:

If you call remembering the dead, toxic, then you would be right.

All my blood relatives are dead.

But, thanks for your interest in my family and your odd need to post about my family. It seems to be a favorite pastime of the left.

Can't handle me so you go after dead relatives. With that, you've just raised lame to an art form, ravi. :thup:

Last edited:
Thank your lucky stars you have relatives to annoy you.

Many of us don't, ya know.

Yep.

No.

None of my relatives annoy me, not even the weird ones. Have beer . . . it's all good.

I'll drink to that! :beer:

The really toxic ones in my family are "mostly" gone now. When I was a kid Thanksgiving was one of my favorite holidays, actually. One year there was literally a free for all food fight. Now it's just the usual roll your eyes, check your watch and have another drink type stuff. I almost miss the good old days just for their entertainment value.

Forum List

Back