How to stop the BP oil spill: What else can be tried now?

I'm in Colorado, sweetie, there's no fucking way I'm getting Fresh Shrimp from the Gulf of Meico or anywhere else, and, frankly, don't really care that much: If I wanna eat a fish, I go pull a trout out of a river of flowing snowmelt.

If I wanna fly somewhere to Eat Fresh Seafood, I can go to Bubba Gump's House in South Carolina, or to California, or to Chesapeake Bay....Gulf Coast has no Monopoly on Shrimp.
Actually...it does. 25% of what we Americans eat as seafood comes from the Gulf Coast.

So if this 25% gets destroyed then prices will go up for what is left to share around.

Not to mention that it is looking possible that the oil will get sucked into the gulf stream...and then you can kiss your Chesapeake Bay shrimp adios.

What an interesting figure:

"25% of what we Americans eat as seafood comes from the Gulf Coast."

I wonder how that works since according to the World Resources Institute "eighty percent of seafood consumed in the U.S. is currently imported."

:eusa_whistle:
Oh, my bad...I remembered incorrectly.
RICH FISHERY
The river delta marshes help make the Gulf of Mexico one of the richest fisheries on earth. Fish and shellfish dependent upon estuaries supply 75 percent of the total annual seafood harvest in the United States. According to the National Marine Fisheries Service, the combined fish and shellfish harvest from the five Gulf states equals nearly 20 percent of the total U.S. domestic landings and 40 percent of the recreational finfish landings. Recreational anglers contribute billions of dollars each year to the economy.
A football field disappears from the Louisiana coast every hour

Regardless, you're still making an idiotic and incorrect point.

In terms of what this oil spill means for the gulf coast and its long term effects it will be tragic for years to come and it's my hope that BP does step up to the plate and helps mitigate some the damage caused by this well. However, speculating on how engineers can seal off the flow of oil from this well is just that speculation, and I have every confidence that a solution will be found and the challenge will be met and the well sealed off. The after-effects of this spill will need to be addressed by cool heads and not by reactionary voices using this as a hammer or as a gotcha to further some agenda when the real tragic results of this spill will be the people living it. I frankly find it somewhat amusing everytime I hear from the extreme anti-petro side of this argurment they are doing so on a petro based product and no doubt at some tie duing the week consuming any number of products produced by that same industry all the while condemning its use for others except for themselves. It's prudent for our nation to move forward in a DIVERSE energy solution for the future and one that includes fossil fuels for the near term and using this tragic spill to promote favored solitions does not help in that promotion.

Ditto,

Was watching the news last night and it seems that engineers are trying to put together a dome to fit over the top of the leak. Don't know how that will work but at this point I think anything is worth a try.

As for how this happened? I find that very mysterious. I've heard of leaks being sprung on an oil rig but never that one had blown up.

The fact that Special Ops were sent to other rigs tells me that mayby the Govt knows something we don't and won't for quite some time.

Something to definetly think about.

If they're talking about fitting a dome over the leak that means they couldn't install a second BOP and they're going to have to drill a secondary well. IMO

I would agree with this assessment but add that the wellhead was damaged by the explosion. The concrete company is going to be sued by Trans-Ocean and BP. As far as what type of explosion it was and what caused it...that's better left to the investigators to uncover. As far as some type of foreign government covert op....that is just pure fantasy at this point.

RICH FISHERY
The river delta marshes help make the Gulf of Mexico one of the richest fisheries on earth. Fish and shellfish dependent upon estuaries supply 75 percent of the total annual seafood harvest in the United States. According to the National Marine Fisheries Service, the combined fish and shellfish harvest from the five Gulf states equals nearly 20 percent of the total U.S. domestic landings and 40 percent of the recreational finfish landings. Recreational anglers contribute billions of dollars each year to the economy.

My point is that the USA is gonna survive pretty easily without Gulf Seafood: Recreational Anglers, can fish the PACIFIC or ATLANTIC Coasts, for cristssakes.

What's YOUR point?

Spidey only eats shrimp and oysters collected in those fishing Sailboats or the ones that slaves propel with oars.

Never does he eat seafood collected with petroleum burning vessels. That would be unethical.

RICH FISHERY

My point is that the USA is gonna survive pretty easily without Gulf Seafood: Recreational Anglers, can fish the PACIFIC or ATLANTIC Coasts, for cristssakes.

What's YOUR point?
That you're an idiot.

I had no idea the Gulf Coast was not part of the USA. Please explain.

I had no idea anyone disputed that the USA had a Gulf Coast. Please Explain.

So its your contention the oil flow will not cause anyone's livelihood to be destroyed?

I had no idea the Gulf Coast was not part of the USA. Please explain.

So its your contention the oil flow will not cause anyone's livelihood to be destroyed?

Its my contention that its no big deal for the USA.

Individuals are affected every day by events beyond their control. Its my contention that most recover.

Ditto,

Was watching the news last night and it seems that engineers are trying to put together a dome to fit over the top of the leak. Don't know how that will work but at this point I think anything is worth a try.

As for how this happened? I find that very mysterious. I've heard of leaks being sprung on an oil rig but never that one had blown up.

The fact that Special Ops were sent to other rigs tells me that mayby the Govt knows something we don't and won't for quite some time.

Something to definetly think about.

If they're talking about fitting a dome over the leak that means they couldn't install a second BOP and they're going to have to drill a secondary well. IMO

I would agree with this assessment but add that the wellhead was damaged by the explosion. The concrete company is going to be sued by Trans-Ocean and BP. As far as what type of explosion it was and what caused it...that's better left to the investigators to uncover. As far as some type of foreign government covert op....that is just pure fantasy at this point.

I'm confused as to why SWAT was called out though. Unless they're petrochemical engineers, they won't be much help in determing the cause or much help in figuring out a solution. I doubt eco-terrorist or anything like that was involved, but I wouldn't dismiss the notion altogether.

Individuals are affected every day by events beyond their control. Its my contention that most recover.

I agree with you, for example the site of the Exxon Valdez was cleaned up and proved to be a profitable fishing area after the cleanup.

I'm confused as to why SWAT was called out though. Unless they're petrochemical engineers, they won't be much help in determing the cause or much help in figuring out a solution. I doubt eco-terrorist or anything like that was involved, but I wouldn't dismiss the notion altogether.
SWAT was called in to round up everyone that discovers that muslim tree hugging kenyans were behind this so called accident and put them in FEMA camps.

What do you have in life that you value? Much at all? In addition to the economic devastation, thousands and thousands of people are about to lose something that many of them have had in their families for 100 or more years. People who have worked hard all their lives, paid their taxes, and done the right thing - will lose the only way they know how to provide for their family - and its not going to be because of an act of God or a natural disaster, its because other human beings decided profit was more important than people.

The lost of our 3rd coast's economic resources and much of its culture is not "no big deal for the USA" - its just no big deal to you, because nothing is a big deal to you.

I agree with you, for example the site of the Exxon Valdez was cleaned up and proved to be a profitable fishing area after the cleanup.

Even if it hadn't been cleaned, I'm guessing almost nobody in the USA would have noticed unless the NYT visited Alaska with a camera crew while their candidate of choice was behind in the polls.

Forum List

Back