How to stop a school shooting - practical application...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
...had the FBI and Broward County Sheriffs Department handle Cruz's threats like this, those 17 victims would be alive today...

Schools close amid threat by employee

Friday, March 9, 2018
Associated Press
WASHINGTON, Mo. -- Schools in the eastern Missouri town of Washington were closed Thursday after a school maintenance worker allegedly tried to buy a gun and ammunition while warning of "a lot of shooting."

The Washington Missourian reported 33-year-old Thomas Wingfield of Union was charged Thursday with marijuana possession and is jailed.

Police say a handgun was seized from Wingfield early Thursday after he flourished the weapon at a motorist along Interstate 70 in St. Charles County.

An acquaintance told police Wingfield was recently suspended from his job. The acquaintance says Wingfield tried to buy a gun and 500 rounds of ammunition and made statements about "a lot of shooting" that would occur Thursday morning.

...had the FBI and Broward County Sheriffs Department handle Cruz's threats like this, those 17 victims would be alive today...

Friday, March 9, 2018
Associated Press
WASHINGTON, Mo. -- Schools in the eastern Missouri town of Washington were closed Thursday after a school maintenance worker allegedly tried to buy a gun and ammunition while warning of "a lot of shooting."

The Washington Missourian reported 33-year-old Thomas Wingfield of Union was charged Thursday with marijuana possession and is jailed.

Police say a handgun was seized from Wingfield early Thursday after he flourished the weapon at a motorist along Interstate 70 in St. Charles County.

An acquaintance told police Wingfield was recently suspended from his job. The acquaintance says Wingfield tried to buy a gun and 500 rounds of ammunition and made statements about "a lot of shooting" that would occur Thursday morning.

What type of English is that?

Friday, March 9, 2018
Associated Press

What type of English is that?
?

"flourished a weapon"? Wtf is that?

I could see "brandished". Clearly wrong use of adjective there.

They may not can say "wash" properly, but at least they know how to stop school shootings. More than can be said for Coward..er Broward County with their "forward-thinking" policies.

It ain't rocket surgery. Do your job.

They may not can say "wash" properly,

Been listening to Dana haven't you...

...but at least they know how to stop school shootings. More than can be said for Coward..er Broward County with their "forward-thinking" policies.

It ain't rocket surgery. Do your job.

Exactly.

I know how people talk in Mizzuruh. ;)

I may be a cracker, and I may be ignorant, but I'm not that ignorant.

There is no "R" in wash! :1peleas:

FWIW, I haven't read the OP (nor will I), but "flourished a weapon" is potentially/technically okay; however, if the context of that word's use is that of menace rather than artfully innocuous flair, its use is contextually/connotatively inapt.

"Flourished" connotes and emphasizes a measure of flair of presentment, the flair being the focus of said weapon being unholstered, unsheathed, etc., that "brandish" does not. Though the same flair in presentment may be exhibited when "brandishing" a weapon, as the term applies to weapons, "brandish" connotes thus emphasizes the "business" purpose for the weapon's having been removed from is holding place. (See synonym guide here: Definition of BRANDISH.)

The man in the video below is flourishing his sword.

The folks in the video below are brandishing their swords.

The folks below are flourishing guns (or pseudo guns)

I think the above videos adequately indicate the difference such that I don't need to include a video of someone brandishing a gun.

FWIW, I haven't read the OP (nor will I), but "flourished a weapon" is potentially/technically okay; however, if the context of that word's use is that of menace rather than artfully innocuous flair, its use is contextually/connotatively inapt.

"Flourished" connotes and emphasizes a measure of flair of presentment, the flair being the focus of said weapon being unholstered, unsheathed, etc., that "brandish" does not. Though the same flair in presentment may be exhibited when "brandishing" a weapon, as the term applies to weapons, "brandish" connotes thus emphasizes the "business" purpose for the weapon's having been removed from is holding place. (See synonym guide here: Definition of BRANDISH.)

I think the above videos adequately indicate the difference such that I don't need to include a video of someone brandishing a gun.

All that gun-spinning could trigger an SJW.

All that gun-spinning could trigger an SJW.

Hell, he had to skip the Original Post to keep from being triggered. Willful ignorance.

Move to a safer country?

Screenshot_20180319-014916_crop_459x318-344x238.jpg

Friday, March 9, 2018
Associated Press

Why does a maintenance worker (janitor?) now want to shoot up the school he works at? These schools must REALLY have some bad cafeteria food!

Once again, as with civil rights, abortion rights, same sex marriage and Obamacare you nutbags will have to come to terms with the hard fact that you are in the minority.

Lobbyist donations and crazy gerrymandered districts can slow down progress but they can't stop it.

We will codify universal background checks and we will regulate the amount of firepower that can be bought by you freaks. You'll have to ease your fears with shotguns and pistols before long. So sad.

You are in the minority.

Forum List

Back