How to START to fix Social Security

miami_thomas

VIP Member
Jan 20, 2011
Here is an idea of how to START to fix social security:

1. Stop providing Social Security to anyone that is not a retiree or a family member. Currently only 36 million of the 55 million on Social Security are Retirees or their families.

2. Increase the required credits up to 120. Is it not responsible to at least ask a person that will be receiving retirement benifits the rest of their life to at least have worked in a job that paid SS for 30 years?

3. Make a law that prevents law makers from using money that is meant for social security.

4. Provide a special buyout for those that wish to instead take out a lump sum and invest it themselves.

Or stop giving SS to anyone who is fat.

If you are overfed, and underworked, you don't deserve a handout.

1. Stop providing Social Security to anyone that is not a retiree or a family member. Currently only 36 million of the 55 million on Social Security are Retirees or their families.

You'd think that would be the most sensible reform right there. Yank it from all the recovering alcoholics and the drug addicts. That's something the Republicans could easily push that wouldn't allow the Democrats to come back and lie to senior citizens with their tired old "Republicans will take your Social Security away" talking points.

2. Increase the required credits up to 120. Is it not responsible to at least ask a person that will be receiving retirement benifits the rest of their life to at least have worked in a job that paid SS for 30 years?

3. Make a law that prevents law makers from using money that is meant for social security.

4. Provide a special buyout for those that wish to instead take out a lump sum and invest it themselves.

I'm not for totally axing social security. But I really like ideas 1 and 4, and think it would really start to solve the problem.

I know many people won't like this but...

............................................................ Remember many retirees are drawing more from Social Security then they paid in.

So....

1. Eliminate the cap on FICA, you pay FICA on what's earned not whats earned capped at $106,000.

2. Means test the receipt of Social Security retirement and SSI for example you receive full benefits if your income is less than $50,000, retirement income over that amount begins a reduction in SS paid until at $100,000 when you know longer can draw Social Security.

3. Separate Social Security (retirement) from Social Security (disability) so that people see true costs of providing for retirees and those under disability insurance. right now when people talk about "Social Secuirty" its all lumped in one big "pot" as perceived by the general population. Completely separate programs means each can be addressed individually.

>>>>

Last edited:

So a housewife of 65 years should not get survivor benefits?
Monitor the out of control "disability" side of SS which is a joke
I agree with the vestment but 30 years is too much
Social security will forever run as a deficit from now on so that law is moot.
A buyout would cause the system to explode and the nation to go bankrupt as everyone with a brain would take it.

So a housewife of 65 years should not get survivor benefits?
Monitor the out of control "disability" side of SS which is a joke
I agree with the vestment but 30 years is too much
Social security will forever run as a deficit from now on so that law is moot.
A buyout would cause the system to explode and the nation to go bankrupt as everyone with a brain would take it.

GAdawg, please see the bolded parts above. Isn't a wife a family member?

:razz:

>>>>

What handout?? :confused:

Just make SS optional. If you want to contribute that's fine, if not that's fine too.

Just make SS optional. If you want to contribute that's fine, if not that's fine too.

I'd support that! Then we'd see just how charitable and sympathetic our libtard friends are.

As for the other two comments what you would see are the ranks of those on welfare swell.

So nope, not an option.

Disability should not be part of the social security program. Period.

Technically, it isn't. SSI uses the efficient distribution mechanism OASDI has for sending checks. The money for SSI comes from the general fund.

OASDI is expensive and going broke because generally the people who are drawing the benefits have not paid an amount into it to cover the liability, the money was never invested, and a plurality of those receiving the benefits don't need it. It's not enough for those who have nothing and it's more than those who already have two houses and 3 cars ever expected, but they take ever dime because they are entitled since they paid into it.

I would love to see Social Security reformed into a safety net for those who took risks and lost everything and I would like the benefit floor to be set at that basic subsistence level and have the plan run as an insurance annuity. Then all caps on income could be removed and mandatory taxes on income could be assessed and those who make more pay more. This hybrid of ineffective money management/ineffective retirement plan just isn't working.

I'd support that! Then we'd see just how charitable and sympathetic our libtard friends are.

As for the other two comments what you would see are the ranks of those on welfare swell.

So nope, not an option.

You seem to have a handle on finance, so why do you invest in union pensions?

So nope, not an option.

Ummmm....Maybe it's because I don't get a union pension? :eusa_whistle:

Technically, it isn't. SSI uses the efficient distribution mechanism OASDI has for sending checks. The money for SSI comes from the general fund.

OASDI is expensive and going broke because generally the people who are drawing the benefits have not paid an amount into it to cover the liability, the money was never invested, and a plurality of those receiving the benefits don't need it. It's not enough for those who have nothing and it's more than those who already have two houses and 3 cars ever expected, but they take ever dime because they are entitled since they paid into it.

I would love to see Social Security reformed into a safety net for those who took risks and lost everything and I would like the benefit floor to be set at that basic subsistence level and have the plan run as an insurance annuity. Then all caps on income could be removed and mandatory taxes on income could be assessed and those who make more pay more. This hybrid of ineffective money management/ineffective retirement plan just isn't working.

In my extended family there are 4 adults that draw social security disability.
One there is nothing wrong with them and she draws $2200 a month and her husband earns 350K a year.
Another is lazy, fat and hooked on prescription pills. She is crazy because she is stubborn,argumentative and a troublemaker and eats pills so she gets a check.
Another is wealthy and at age 50 faked an injury. Now she raises horses and travels. NEVER does anyone check on these folks.
The last deserves his disability and am glad he gets it. He has schizophrenia, is a Viet Nam vet and is one of the most humblest kindest people on earth.

One there is nothing wrong with them and she draws $2200 a month and her husband earns 350K a year.
Another is lazy, fat and hooked on prescription pills. She is crazy because she is stubborn,argumentative and a troublemaker and eats pills so she gets a check.
Another is wealthy and at age 50 faked an injury. Now she raises horses and travels. NEVER does anyone check on these folks.
The last deserves his disability and am glad he gets it. He has schizophrenia, is a Viet Nam vet and is one of the most humblest kindest people on earth.

None of which has anything to do with Social Security OASDI. That's SSI and it's funded from general revenues.

None of which has anything to do with Social Security OASDI. That's SSI and it's funded from general revenues.

Nothing about any of it is efficient.
Hate to tell you brother, ALL SOCIAL PROGRAMS are funded by "general revenues".
There is NO money in any of the "trust funds".
Only IOUs.
Social Security is A TAX.
Sorry. There is no $ anywhere with your name on it and nothing whatsoever to cover any social security or any program. We are flat broke and all $$ goes into general revenues.

Ummmm....Maybe it's because I don't get a union pension? :eusa_whistle:

Ok, explain that one. You are a union worker who doesn't have a pension?

Yes I am a union member and yes I get a pension, but not from the union.

First, there ARE union pensions that are funded by union members, generally those who work out of a union hall and are hired by contractors. But I'm not one of them.

I work on the production end. I am employed by an independent power producer and all of my wages and benefits (including pension) is fully paid by my employer. So my pension is not as a result of an "investment", it was and is earned and part of a compensation package.

I believe it. I used to have a tenant that was collecting SSI Disability because she was a "recovering" crack addict, but she was still very much using. I could tell just by the look of her and I eventually evicted her and her family because they got over $2,000 behind on their rent (which of course I never ended up getting) and they left a ton of crap in the place. When I went through to clean it out after they left I found a burnt spoon behind the television.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back