How to Shred the Last 5 Lbs

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Okay summer's coming and we will all be wearing our swimsuits in a few months. How are you preparing to shred those few extra pounds that you gained during winter hibernation?

You've got suggestions?

I'm dreading tomorrow because it's my workout day. :(

I just amp it up a bit more at the gym. Instead of a half hour workout, I've been doing 45 minutes to an hour. More elliptical and weight lifting reps, more sit ups at home.

Yep, by the end of May the pools open around here! :clap2:

Give yourself an enema each day at 8:00 pm for a week. You will lose on average 32 pounds in 10 days.

I keep reading the title as "How to shred the last 5 libs."

I have an acute negative reaction each time I read it.

I only need to lose about 5 kg - if I keep reading the title that might do it :eusa_whistle:

Okay summer's coming and we will all be wearing our swimsuits in a few months. How are you preparing to shred those few extra pounds that you gained during winter hibernation?

You've got suggestions?

if you drink booze....stop for 30 days....

I only need to lose about 5 kg - if I keep reading the title that might do it :eusa_whistle:

It has never been my intention to "shred the last 5 LIBS!"

Never.

But if there were only 5 left, I'd put 'em in a zoo and charge admission, you know as in "pay a nickel to see the loonies."

It has never been my intention to "shred the last 5 LIBS!"

Never.

But if there were only 5 left, I'd put 'em in a zoo and charge admission, you know as in "pay a nickel to see the loonies."

Shred 5 lbs ? That puts a whole new meaning into a 'chipper and shredder'
( is "shred" what you really call it these days ?)

You've got suggestions?

if you drink booze....stop for 30 days....

I didn't know foul examples of obscenity such as this were allowed at USMB :eek:

Do you guys get FitTv? They have the best yoga series I've ever seen. Namaste Yoga,, and some pretty rigorous workouts and belly dancing too.. And, the other night they had lessons in hip hop.. Thank God everybody had gone to bed.. but I tried..

You've got suggestions?

Raise your metabolic rate as often as you can during the day. I've gained 17 pounds during the winter, and I'm looking forward to mowing season. I divide my mowing up, doing it several days during the week and do it all with a power push-mower. I don't have a beautiful lawn, but I maximize calory burning by doing it that way. I haven't been faithful in my elliptic and other regular exercises like sit-ups and weight reps because of preparing bids and other office work. I need to break out of that routine. When I'm doing physical work, even if it's not a lot of it, I'm amazed at how fast the pounds melt away.

Keep grapes or jello handy for an evening snack if you have a weekness for going to the fridge.

PC, what do you normally do for your workout?

I would prefer to recline. :lol:

My ideal would be take a kickboxing class 3x a week, but the times they offer it are not convenient.

I'm not fond of working out on machines at the gym. They bore the heck out of me.

For a couple of years now, I've been on workout DVD's. The last 2 were:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/HIP-HOP-ABS-DVD-Set/dp/B001M508N6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238506041&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: HIP HOP ABS DVD Set - 6 Workouts Set - (1) Secrets to Flat Abs; (2) Fat Burning Cardio; (3) Ab Sculpt; (4) Total Body Burn; (5) Hips, Buns, Thighs; and (6) Last Minute Abs. [DVD Set] - Shaun T: Your Store[/ame]

and

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238506119&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred: Jillian Michaels, Andrea Ambandos: Your Store[/ame]

If I am sweating and my muscles ache the next day, then it's a pretty good work-out in my book.

The down side with the videos is that eventually I'll be tired of the same spiel, so I go looking for a new one every 6 months.

While the workouts have been great at maintaining weight and providing good muscle tone and definition, I haven't been able to lose the extra weight.

I also swim daily in the summers in addition to the workouts.

Do you guys get FitTv? They have the best yoga series I've ever seen. Namaste Yoga,, and some pretty rigorous workouts and belly dancing too.. And, the other night they had lessons in hip hop.. Thank God everybody had gone to bed.. but I tried..

I heard good things about FitTV. Do they have workouts that make you sweat?

You've got suggestions?

Raise your metabolic rate as often as you can during the day. I've gained 17 pounds during the winter, and I'm looking forward to mowing season. I divide my mowing up, doing it several days during the week and do it all with a power push-mower. I don't have a beautiful lawn, but I maximize calory burning by doing it that way. I haven't been faithful in my elliptic and other regular exercises like sit-ups and weight reps because of preparing bids and other office work. I need to break out of that routine. When I'm doing physical work, even if it's not a lot of it, I'm amazed at how fast the pounds melt away.

Keep grapes or jello handy for an evening snack if you have a weekness for going to the fridge.

Yes, that is the key. When I'm running around doing things and not focusing too much on meals, I see myself losing weight as well. I love to cook and I live to eat so I need to find creative recipes using low calorie foods.

I try to walk at least 20k steps a day, twice the 'goal' of AHA for women. I work out on the machines at least 3 times a week and swim at least 5 times a week. It's the swimming that makes me keep my club membership, especially through Chicago winters, that last 9 months of the year. ;)

With this workout and watching diet, I've been able to reach my 'ideal weight', now I'm trying not to lose anymore. Swimming is the best for the 'look' I want; while the weight machines are good for muscle development, or in my case, maintaining muscle tone. Walking, well it's good cardio and I just like it. :lol:

PC, what do you normally do for your workout?

I would prefer to recline. :lol:

My ideal would be take a kickboxing class 3x a week, but the times they offer it are not convenient.

I'm not fond of working out on machines at the gym. They bore the heck out of me.

For a couple of years now, I've been on workout DVD's. The last 2 were:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/HIP-HOP-ABS-DVD-Set/dp/B001M508N6/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1238506041&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: HIP HOP ABS DVD Set - 6 Workouts Set - (1) Secrets to Flat Abs; (2) Fat Burning Cardio; (3) Ab Sculpt; (4) Total Body Burn; (5) Hips, Buns, Thighs; and (6) Last Minute Abs. [DVD Set] - Shaun T: Your Store[/ame]

and

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Jillian-Michaels-30-Day-Shred/dp/B00127RAJY/ref=pd_bbs_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1238506119&sr=8-2]Amazon.com: Jillian Michaels - 30 Day Shred: Jillian Michaels, Andrea Ambandos: Your Store[/ame]

If I am sweating and my muscles ache the next day, then it's a pretty good work-out in my book.

The down side with the videos is that eventually I'll be tired of the same spiel, so I go looking for a new one every 6 months.

While the workouts have been great at maintaining weight and providing good muscle tone and definition, I haven't been able to lose the extra weight.

I also swim daily in the summers in addition to the workouts.

What I've realized it that no matter what I'm doing exercise-wise my body eventually adapts and I burn less calories doing it and my body gets a less effective workout. Plus I get bored. So I mix it up and much as possible.

I run on the TM but vary it. Some days it's just running; some days I'll do interval workouts (walk at say 3.5 mph for 1 minute followed by 30-45 seconds of high intensity running at 8.0mph, then back down for a 1 minute recovery at 3.5mph. Do 6-8 rounds); some days I'll do incline intervals (just like the speed ones but cranking the incline up and down); some days I'll do a 40 minute walk at 4.5mph at a 6%-7% incline. The point is to vary it and not to get into an exercise rut. Your mind and body will be better off.

Do you have a stability ball? You can get a nice workout using one of these. They're cheap (like ten bucks) and there are tons of workout videos on youtube. They can be short or long but they seem to me to work some of the smaller muscles. These workouts are a nice addition to more strenuous stuff.

I also have that Jillian Michaels Shred dvd. I like it cause it's short and sweet. I'll do them then go and do a 30-40 minute workout using weights. Her dvd gets the HR going and also warms everything up for the weight workout. I also have some good yoga dvds (haven't used them in a bit).

I've heard that kicking boxing is excellent. I should look into that. Oh, and I workout at home. If I can't do it there it won't get done.

I try and walk to the dog as much as possible, although in the winter and even this time of year it depends on the weather. I walk her about 1.5 miles in about 23 minutes.

Swimming is great, no stress on the joints. Try incorporating intervals into your swims as well. Anything to keep your body off guard and from settling into a familiar routine.

Like AH said, just moving burns more calories. I'm getting itchy to get outside and get the yard cleaned up. lol, I say that now but after the novelty of 'spring clean up' wears off, it will lose it's appeal - usually does!

Forum List

Back