How to Save Money on Eating

Mar 5, 2009
Munch on this food for thought. Eating out or in tests your recession psychology. You can choose to help the economy or yourself. You can choose to keep spending a lot of money eating out at restaurants or spending much less on groceries and cooking at home. Which you choose will also greatly impact whether you are eating healthy and eating too much. A leaner wallet can mean a leaner you.

Read the rest of my article at:

How to Save Money on Eating by Joel Hirschhorn

affluenza virus.

Good one! :clap2:

It is a rare occasion that we waste money eating out. We are much better cooks.

I seldom eat out.

Occassionally I'll get a pizza.

My cooking is better than most of the restuarants round here, anyway.

We had a Koran restuarant here that rocked, but the woman retired.

We rarely eat out. To me it's quite boring.

I see eating as a chore. Sure, I like good food and when my wife and I go out alone, we'll enjoy the experience, but with the kids? No fun.

I like to eat quickly and get it over with. I have other things to do.

And if I'm going to eat something bad for me, I'll just throw a frozen pizza in the microwave instead of go out to dinner. A frozen pizza is two bucks, and eating out is a lot more than that.

Besides, unlike a lot of people in restaurants, I actually know how to wash my hands.

After my wife died, we ate out almost all the time. I was spending $2000 per month just on restaurants. After I got sick, I decided to adjust my diet. Now I spend around $500 per month on food for me and my two boys, and we eat very good. I've also become a decent cook. Still, I like to go out once a month for a really nice meal, and we'll buy fast food once or twice per month. I think a lot of people go out for convenience, but the cost just doesn't justify it for most.

i don't eat out.

but at least i eat.

before i didn't even eat. i would just have a gallon worth of protein shakes every day, some vitamin & mineral pills, fiber and oil in capsules.

eventually i got tired. now i just eat chicken breast ( by itself ) like 5 times a day. i have about 10 pounds of cooked chicken in the fridge right now.

when i can't stand any more chicken i substitute eggs or mozarella cheese.

sometimes i do combinations of the three - something like pizza only its just the top part.

Last edited:
After my wife died, we ate out almost all the time. I was spending $2000 per month just on restaurants. After I got sick, I decided to adjust my diet. Now I spend around $500 per month on food for me and my two boys, and we eat very good. I've also become a decent cook. Still, I like to go out once a month for a really nice meal, and we'll buy fast food once or twice per month. I think a lot of people go out for convenience, but the cost just doesn't justify it for most.

It's not just about saving money, or that what you cook at home is likely more nutritious, either, Aud.

Cooking for your family is a manifestation of your love.

Your boys may not say anything, they may even appear indifferent to the fact that you cook for them, but the fact that you do that speaks volumes to them, about you AND about them.

It conveys an unspoken but powerful message about important they are to you.

And if they know that you love them, it makes it one hell of a lot easier for them to love themselves, too.

You're not just creating better food, you're creating better, happier, people, dude.

I cook dinner every night and when I bake it's always homemade (thanks mom!). However, Friday and Saturday nights are my 'off' nights. On Fridays, there are usually enough leftovers from the week for several meals or it's a 'whatever' night. Hey, a can of spaghettios or grilled cheese (yes, I consider that not cooking) won't kill anyone. The kids actually look forward to this. Saturdays are almost always burger nights. We're very happy campers now that the weather is changing and we can light the grill again. My theory is that everyone enjoys a break from the 'norm' or the 'everyday' things. That includes cooks. Now, if I can just convince someone else to clean the bathrooms once in awhile!

I cook most nights and neither of us really like big heavy dinners so we eat very cheaply. Breakfast is a big deal around here. Always something very creative, healthy and delish.

We go to dinner with friends and family about once a week.

Companion = those with whom I break bread.

Yeah, eating together is THAT important

Forum List

Back