How to Regulate Colleges?

[

I guess they're funded by magic.

They are funded by tuition from the student.

The GSL means that the taxpayers pick up the tab should the student default on their loans, but that is as far as taxpayer funding goes in the vast majority of institutions.

The college gets paid somehow... They don't wait until the student starts paying back the loans to get their money. The taxpayer pays the college and then gets paid back by the student, and then if the student defaults, they're on the hook for the default.
Certified 'stupid' degrees? Their parents failed to teach them that one should not overload their ass with debt while starting out what or where they may possibly wanna be in life.

[

The college gets paid somehow... They don't wait until the student starts paying back the loans to get their money. The taxpayer pays the college and then gets paid back by the student, and then if the student defaults, they're on the hook for the default.

That is utterly false.

When a student enters college, they work with a finance counselor who sets them up with lenders such as Discover or GE Capital, These lenders send payment to the school. The debt the student carries is to the lender. IF the student eventually defaults on the loan, the GSL trust fund reimburses most of the loan amount to the lending institution.
How much is that fund paying out per year?

Colleges are like any other business.

They have cash-out requirements and cash-in resources.

Student loans are NOT funded by colleges.

God forbid you call the professor out for being an asshole without being kicked out of school

If one truly thinks that of one's professor, why would one want to remain at the school? If one's opinion of one's instructors/professor(s) is so low, one should be indifferent about being there to take their class(s). Moreover, one is, in college, an adult, which means one is there by choice. If one is dissatisfied, one should leave.

Because the professor works for the student, not the other way around.

If a student has debt and is 3/4 of the way through to their bachelor's degree and already has $70,000 in debt, the student has every right to call the professor an asshole if they want.

Well, you just keep thinking that....In the real world, consumers don't buy discretionary goods/services with which they have become dissatisfied. If one is dissatisfied, say, with one's attorney, doctor or accounts, one may call him or her an asshole, but in doing so, if one doesn't terminate the relationship, the professional quite likely will.

The professor terminate the relationship? The professor should be fired for even thinking about being disrespectful towards a student.
The professor is providing a service -- education -- to the student. By leaving the institution, or at least withdrawing from the class, the student is for all intents and purposes, firing the professor. No institution is going to fire a professor over his/her having a contretemps with a student. They wouldn't be able to keep them on staff if that were to happen.

The professor works for the student and should be fired if they act inappropriately. They are employed by the college who is funded by taxpayers and ultimately the student... They aren't self-employed and aren't providing a service, they're working a job.
[Professors] are employed by the college [which] is funded by taxpayers and ultimately the student...

Some colleges, yes, others, no.

[Professors] are employed by the college [which] is funded by taxpayers and ultimately the student...

Sometimes yes. Sometimes, no.

The professor works for the student and should be fired if they act inappropriately.
  • Professors' job:
    • research and publish findings
    • share subject matter expertise with students
    • perform administrative tasks
  • Students' "job":
    • master the information shared by professors
Professors do not work for students, they work for the institutions that employ them.

They aren't self-employed and aren't providing a service, they're working a job.

They are working a job, and that job is to provide a service -- imparting to others the knowledge they've gained. I don't know what makes you think educating, transferring/sharing knowledge, and researching is a not a service. I don't even care what makes you think it. The notion is thoroughly absurd. Don't reply to me any more.

I guess they're funded by magic.
Trillions going to Universities from federal grants. I put one list up here last night and now its gone. From the colleges they distribute the money they get from the taxpayer coffers into their professors and others pockets along with building their little . I tracked a portion of that and it is not for just teaching students. I'm with Trump drain the swamp as it is killing the country and its people. It was a slow death that Obama and Clinton's turned into a more rapid decline. Everyday people that their forefathers built this country have been stripped bare for they could have their little fifedoms and tell everyone else that they are too stupid to determine policy of any kind, even when it comes to making decisions for themselves.

Forum List

Back