How to reduce waste, overproduction, and destruction?

anotherlife

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2012
Cross-Atlantic
Manufacturers want their products destroyed after selling them, so that they can sell the next one. Isn't this perverted? How about extending the idea of leasing, to route back cash to the manufacturers from the life of the products instead of just the sale?

Why can't we allow manufacturers to lease their products and make cash that way, like a service based pricing, instead of just sales? Is there a reason why any product can't be just leased instead of sold?

Manufacturers want their products destroyed after selling them, so that they can sell the next one. Isn't this perverted? How about extending the idea of leasing, to route back cash to the manufacturers from the life of the products instead of just the sale?

Why can't we allow manufacturers to lease their products and make cash that way, like a service based pricing, instead of just sales? Is there a reason why any product can't be just leased instead of sold?
I'd like to lease a 24 oz. Porterhouse, if you get your project of the ground.

I lease a computer for three years -- at which time I return it to the lessor who -- destroys it. Then I lease another computer for three years.

Great plan. Did you spend a lot of time on it?

Manufacturers want their products destroyed after selling them, so that they can sell the next one.

Domestic automakers used to do that. Imported cars showed them it was a bad idea.

I lease a computer for three years -- at which time I return it to the lessor who -- destroys it. Then I lease another computer for three years.

Great plan. Did you spend a lot of time on it?

If the computer is leased, then it will not devalue as fast, as long as the computers manufacturer gets a regular cut of that lease. That is exactly the point.

Who's keeping this from happening?

I believe you have uncovered a market opportunity. You should set up a leasing/finance business that allows me to lease equipment and puts positive economic pressure on mfgs to produce higher quality, longer lasting products. I'll be a customer. PM me when you launch.

If the computer is leased, then it will not devalue as fast, as long as the computers manufacturer gets a regular cut of that lease. That is exactly the point.

Value has zero relevance to how I paid for the item. A three-year old computer is, depending on the requirements and desires of the user, either a brick or it has value. If I OWN the computer, I have a incentive to upgrade and keep the computer - extending its life and reducing waste. If I LEASE the computer, upgrading isn't an option. If I want new hardware, I return it at the end of the lease (at which point it's scrap) and get another.

Leasing for any manufactured good is simply a law-away plan where you pay more than the value of the item (profit to the lessor) in order to pay over time while you have possession of the item.

I know you think you've stumbled on some magic potion to turn the world into an eco-weenie's utopia... think again.

Value has zero relevance to how I paid for the item. A three-year old computer is, depending on the requirements and desires of the user, either a brick or it has value. If I OWN the computer, I have a incentive to upgrade and keep the computer - extending its life and reducing waste. If I LEASE the computer, upgrading isn't an option. If I want new hardware, I return it at the end of the lease (at which point it's scrap) and get another.

Leasing for any manufactured good is simply a law-away plan where you pay more than the value of the item (profit to the lessor) in order to pay over time while you have possession of the item.

I know you think you've stumbled on some magic potion to turn the world into an eco-weenie's utopia... think again.

It is scrap because it is not expensive enough. And if it was expensive enough, then the number of upgrades would be less too, because the product specs could be agreed between the lease company and the manufacturer.

The value of things sometimes depend on price, and sometimes the price depends on the value.

So, your plan is to make everything so expensive that people are inclined to keep it rather than scrap it?

We used to do that was called pre-industrialisation. It had a lot of interesting side benefits like staggering levels of poverty, life expectancy of 50, and rampant disease.

Good plan.

It is scrap because it is not expensive enough. And if it was expensive enough, then the number of upgrades would be less too, because the product specs could be agreed between the lease company and the manufacturer.

The value of things sometimes depend on price, and sometimes the price depends on the value.

why not trust the market to determine correct price/quality relationship??

why not trust the market to determine correct price/quality relationship??

Markets can't do that, except for a short time when some new industry is invented and not yet consolidated.

For example, the current product prices are primarily determined by government planned currency manipulations against the dollar.

For example, the current product prices are primarily determined by government planned currency manipulations against the dollar.

a ignorant liberal lie of course. Why so afraid to give the product that best represents this?? What does your fear teach you?

a ignorant liberal lie of course. Why so afraid to give the product that best represents this?? What does your fear teach you?
I am not sure if I understand your point. The fear I represent in this thread is my fear of waste, wasting products, wasting materials, wasting processes. It turns out that it is physically impossible to clear waste, it has its cycle like everything else, and comes back thereby right onto the negative side of every balance sheet, no matter how we like the word "externality". In this thread, I show, that there is a good possibility to make profits of huge cash, even in consideration of this basic natural law.

Leasing is merely a financing arrangement with tax benefits to the lessor.

After you add up all the debits and credits, you are always going to be better off in the long term by purchasing and maintaining than by leasing.

Leasing only works for anyone who is cash poor.

Leasing is merely a financing arrangement with tax benefits to the lessor.

After you add up all the debits and credits, you are always going to be better off in the long term by purchasing and maintaining than by leasing.

Leasing only works for anyone who is cash poor.

I speculate, that the cash poor aspect in your post can be exploited, to provide a new and more value oriented cash flow to the manufacturer itself.

Forum List

Back