How to manage your colonies

I lived in the UK for a year and did a lot of rambling. I like the way that they had little steps over the fences. Delightful indeed.

Greg

I remember the Thames walks, and the rambles through the ancient Berkshire woods.

One of my walks was along the Grand Union Canal from Boxmoor where we were living. Helping with the locks was always appreciated. One of my "drop in" spots ...very occasionally.

the-fishery-inn-hemel-hempstead-1.jpg

Greg
I've been on that canal on my narrowboat. It's always nice when the gongoozlers lend a hand :beer:

You have a narrow boat??

I love the way they paint flowers on them; I saw what they said were woodbines on one and they were beautiful. What do they call that; I did know once? Folk art??

Greg

The original narrow boats were working boats and would be owned by Gypsy families, they painted everything they could as living in such cramped conditions would lead to the spread of disease's. Very clean and meticulous the Gypsies, unlike the modern traveller who is scruffy, dirty and devious.

Modern narrow boats have all the latest mod-cons and are very expensive to run, with the BWB licence alone running at £300 or so. Then there are boat yard fees and suchlike to take into consideration. Just put a small one on a trailer and use it on land, so much cheaper

Yeah; priced them when we were there years ago. I was very surprised at the costs associated with them but hey; they ARE beautiful.

Greg

I remember the Thames walks, and the rambles through the ancient Berkshire woods.

One of my walks was along the Grand Union Canal from Boxmoor where we were living. Helping with the locks was always appreciated. One of my "drop in" spots ...very occasionally.

Greg
I've been on that canal on my narrowboat. It's always nice when the gongoozlers lend a hand :beer:

You have a narrow boat??

I love the way they paint flowers on them; I saw what they said were woodbines on one and they were beautiful. What do they call that; I did know once? Folk art??

Greg

The original narrow boats were working boats and would be owned by Gypsy families, they painted everything they could as living in such cramped conditions would lead to the spread of disease's. Very clean and meticulous the Gypsies, unlike the modern traveller who is scruffy, dirty and devious.

Modern narrow boats have all the latest mod-cons and are very expensive to run, with the BWB licence alone running at £300 or so. Then there are boat yard fees and suchlike to take into consideration. Just put a small one on a trailer and use it on land, so much cheaper

Yeah; priced them when we were there years ago. I was very surprised at the costs associated with them but hey; they ARE beautiful.

Greg

And very hard to keep in that condition, not many really good painters around able to recreate the look

You have the right to ramble freely in England as long as there are no signs saying private property. The ramblers do not like it when people walk across their gardens

I lived in the UK for a year and did a lot of rambling. I like the way that they had little steps over the fences. Delightful indeed.

Greg

Greg

I was there in 2005/6. Any Aussie folk about 50 assist you back then?? I hope I did so. lol:rock:

Greg
Sadly not - we only got the boat about 3 years ago. It's so much fun. I love the canals and rivers and the beautiful scenery. This year we will probably be on the Kennet & Avon, and not sure where else yet.

Greg

Greg

You have a narrow boat??

Greg

British Waterways Were replaced by the gestapo CRT a few years ago. They are a nightmare with fees (over £1000), with fines for overstaying by even a few hours, and with their foot soldiers who patrol the towpaths on bikes, noting down your boat number and then checking you've not overstayed. They've become like over zealous heinous traffic wardens. The marina fees vary but are typically a couple of thousand or more a year for a 70 footer. So we take the boat out as much as possible to avoid some of that (allowing them to rent out our mooring on a temporary basis as much as possible - easy in the Summer where we are moored) - but not all marinas allow this.
Then there is the 3 yearly safety certificate which involves dry docking for blacking and anodes etc. So, it isn't cheap, but remember these boats are like apartments - you can easily live on them, as many do, and some of these people can get cheaper continuous cruiser licences and avoid marina fees.
I know some of the people who live on them don't get the hulls checked and blacked etc because they can't afford it, but the CRT has begun to refuse licences without such paperwork.
The CRT are constantly being sued for various reasons, mostly to do with their utter incompetence and with how they treat liveaboards with children etc.
But, it's still great fun, even in the Winter and despite the expense. I will never be boatless again!

Last edited:

Greg

You have a narrow boat??

Greg

British Waterways Were replaced by the gestapo CRT a few years ago. They are a nightmare with fees (over £1000), with fines for overstaying by even a few hours, and with their foot soldiers who patrol the towpaths on bikes, noting down your boat number and then checking you've not overstayed. They've become like over zealous heinous traffic wardens. The marina fees vary but are typically a couple of thousand or more a year for a 70 footer. So we take the boat out as much as possible to avoid some of that (allowing them to rent out our mooring on a temporary basis as much as possible - easy in the Summer where we are moored) - but not all marinas allow this.
Then there is the 3 yearly safety certificate which involves dry docking for blacking and anodes etc. So, it isn't cheap, but remember these boats are like apartments - you can easily live on them, as many do, and some of these people can get cheaper continuous cruiser licences and avoid marina fees.
I know some of the people who live on them don't get the hulls checked and blacked etc because they can't afford it, but the CRT has begun to refuse licences without such paperwork.
The CRT are constantly being sued for various reasons, mostly to do with their utter incompetence and with how they treat liveaboards with children etc.
But, it's still great fun, even in the Winter and despite the expense. I will never be boatless again!

Way to go, Tilly. When I was there a few commented that many newly divorced ex-hubbies used the Canal Boats as relatively less expensive accommodation. I'm not surprised that some Gov agency now considers them a cash cow.

Greg

Greg

You have a narrow boat??

Greg

Way to go, Tilly. When I was there a few commented that many newly divorced ex-hubbies used the Canal Boats as relatively less expensive accommodation. I'm not surprised that some Gov agency now considers them a cash cow.

Greg
Yes, we met quite a few men who were doing that, and also a few women.
We managed once to sort things out with work so that we could stay on the boat for six months (and work) - it was great - it can be a very addictive way of life - I didn't want to go back to bricks and mortar. At some point we are going to downsize and live on the boat while we house hunt - then we won't find ourselves in a chain.

You have a narrow boat??

Greg

Greg
Yes, we met quite a few men who were doing that, and also a few women.
We managed once to sort things out with work so that we could stay on the boat for six months (and work) - it was great - it can be a very addictive way of life - I didn't want to go back to bricks and mortar. At some point we are going to downsize and live on the boat while we house hunt - then we won't find ourselves in a chain.

The dilemma is storage: where will you put all your shoes?

Forum List

Back