Sep 10, 2010
impossible

I was born in 1953

The 30s had depression

The 40s had war

the 60s had turmiol

the 70s had bad tastes

50s ruled

the funnest time to live................................................

I remember when my mom rang thetriangle gong for meals in thlelate 50s/early 60s ------------------doesn't get much better than that....................

no godammn drug dealers in the hood

I was born in 1953 also....and yes, i think that was the best too!
We played OUTSIDE until dark.
We didn't worry about be snatched up by some crazy that wanted to murder us. (although it probably did happen at times)
Our parents didn't worry about us walking 1/2 mile to school and back, or even walking 2 miles into town by ourselves.
We rode bikes all over, didn't have to be taxied everyplace we went.
Our entertainment was the radio or record player. Some TV, although we only had rabbit ears and the stations didn't alway come in very good!
We talked on a phone hooked to the wall....and some of us even had "party" lines (those were a pain in the butt!).
Things were pretty simple during the 50's.

Yeah. The 50s were great. The greatest economic boom we have ever had. A chicken in every pot, two cars in every garage, a nuclear bomb shelter in every yard, and an iron lung for every polio kid. And our men were killing commies for Christ in Korea.

An extra added bonus in that blacks, Jews, and gays were kept in their place. A black kid could leave home in the morning and not come home UNTIL dark. If he did stay out after dark, there would be a burning cross for a night light and a noose for a blanket to see him through the evening.

You are absolutely correct it is impossible to improve on that!

Good times, good times.

Last edited:
The 50s may have not been perfect - but they were better than anything before or since........................

The 50s may have not been perfect - but they were better than anything before or since........................

.....................if you were a heterosexual white Protestant.

Now black people are allowed to ride in the front of the bus like me. What do they think they are, special?

Last edited:
I dunno, a lotta people think the 90s weren't so bad. I'd take that economic boom over the 50s; a lot of people don't realize we fought a nasty war in the early years of the 50s and the so-called boom wasn't booming in the last half of the decade. GDP growth in the back half was about half of what it was in the first half, around 2-2.5%. People back then worried a lot about the Soviets and communism, and Joe McCarthy was running his hearings. That wasn't so hot either. I remember in grade school practicing a drill to hide under our desks in case a missile hit nearby. It wasn't all sunshine and roses.

Why did this post have to turn into a racial thing?
Some people just have to bring race into EVERYTHING.
If you can't talk about something without making it racist then you have a huge problem.

I dunno, a lotta people think the 90s weren't so bad. I'd take that economic boom over the 50s; a lot of people don't realize we fought a nasty war in the early years of the 50s and the so-called boom wasn't booming in the last half of the decade. GDP growth in the back half was about half of what it was in the first half, around 2-2.5%. People back then worried a lot about the Soviets and communism, and Joe McCarthy was running his hearings. That wasn't so hot either. I remember in grade school practicing a drill to hide under our desks in case a missile hit nearby. It wasn't all sunshine and roses.

The 50s had hula hoops

The 50s had hula hoops

I remember, I wasn't too good with them. Body shape wasn't well suited if you know what I mean.

impossible

I was born in 1953

The 30s had depression

The 40s had war

the 60s had turmiol

the 70s had bad tastes

50s ruled

So you were born in 53

You probably don't remember much before you were 4 years old so for all of 3 years as an ignorant rug rat you lived in the 50s.

Sorry but you are not qualified to comment on the condition of a decade in which you might remember 3 years between the ages of 4 and 7

Every era, including the present, has its positive and negative aspects. The essential difference between the fifties and the present is the positive was more widespread and readily available back then, whereas today the positive American experience is available only to those who can afford it. In general, the quality of life in contemporary America occurs in proportion with the position of a decimal point.

The tempo of the fifties was Moon River. Today is it Heavy Metal. Some would say the difference is best described as sanity vs insanity.

impossible

I was born in 1953

The 30s had depression

The 40s had war

the 60s had turmiol

the 70s had bad tastes

50s ruled

So you were born in 53

You probably don't remember much before you were 4 years old so for all of 3 years as an ignorant rug rat you lived in the 50s.

Sorry but you are not qualified to comment on the condition of a decade in which you might remember 3 years between the ages of 4 and 7

I recalled 1956 on - kinder gentler time

Every era, including the present, has its positive and negative aspects. The essential difference between the fifties and the present is the positive was more widespread and readily available back then, whereas today the positive American experience is available only to those who can afford it. In general, the quality of life in contemporary America occurs in proportion with the position of a decimal point.

The tempo of the fifties was Moon River. Today is it Heavy Metal. Some would say the difference is best described as sanity vs insanity.

Beg to differ, the low end of American society back then was pretty low. The low end today ain't half bad for the most part, most of the people living today below the poverty line have all the modern conveniences. Civil Rights Act, Affirmative Action, Food Stamps, etc., there's all sorts of programs out there today that weren't there in the 50s.

impossible

I was born in 1953

The 30s had depression

The 40s had war

the 60s had turmiol

the 70s had bad tastes

50s ruled

So you were born in 53

Take cover drills and the threat of nuclear annihilation notwithstanding.

Why did this post have to turn into a racial thing?
Some people just have to bring race into EVERYTHING.
If you can't talk about something without making it racist then you have a huge problem.

The only people with a problem are those who live inside an insulated bubble of ignorance and self-absorption. "Things were going great for me, therefore life was good for everyone, so it could not have possibly been improved upon".

Uh, no. Not for the polio kid, it wasn't. No vaccines back then, remember? Shit was killing and crippling people left and right, including syphilis in the not too distant past.

Not for the black kid, it wasn't a great time. Not for homosexuals, it wasn't. Wake the fuck up.

And kids were disappearing back then, too. There just weren't any Amber alerts and there were only three TV channels with just a half hour of news every day. No time to talk for days on end about some missing girl halfway across the country.

A classmate of mine was raped by a pedophile at the public library in the bushes in eighth grade. His tragedy never made the press. That shit was buried back then. No one talked about it.

Sorry to pop the bubble. We are living in the best of times ever right NOW. And it will keep getting better and better because there are always things to improve upon. Getting all misty about the past is a deluded pessimist's pasttime.

Last edited:
impossible

I was born in 1953

The 30s had depression

The 40s had war

the 60s had turmiol

the 70s had bad tastes

50s ruled

So you were born in 53

Yeah and at 3 years old you were sage enough to realize the state of society

Forum List

Back