How to have a "good" life.

Good rules to live by.

I still am baffled by mans inhumanity to man. What possesses someone to harm children, animals, others. What makes someone "evil?"

I still am baffled by mans inhumanity to man. What possesses someone to harm children, animals, others. What makes someone "evil?"
The first question is what is evil?

Am I evil for not automatically assuming that all Muslims are terrorists?

Am I evil for refusing to eat dead animals?

A lot of evil is a matter of perception. I think the litmus test of true evil would be that it is a reasonably universal evil.

What classifies as harm to children? "I know it when I see it" does not fly as that is 100% perception. There is provable harm done to children who are molested. What motivates the molester? I have no clue and in some ways I do not want to know.

To get at what you were really asking, one or both of two things is generally what I have heard and observed the reason behind evil. Training/trauma/environment or actual brain issues. Those with biological issues need to have medical intervention. Most of the other group can be prevented and or sometimes patched up (like the kid that goes and torches cats, has a chance of having a normal healthy life if the root problem is corrected).

Good rules to live by.

Well, to take a stab at "What makes someone "evil?" Way back when I was married to my first wife I came home drunk one night after partying with some friends. A bit too much alcohol was involved to say the least. She came down the steps only to find me peeing into the fish tank. She didn't think it was as funny as I did. As I began to crawl up the steps I began to call her name telling her to come with me to the bedroom because I had something in my pants that I know would do her a little bit of good. Here again, she didn't think this was as funny as I did. I got up stairs and before I fell onto my side of the bed in a deep state of sleep, I puked on her side of the bed. I woke up the next morning to find her sleeping on the sofa. I noticed right away when I told her good morning that she appeared to be in a foul mood. A little loud too. As I walked by the fish tank I noticed that several of them were floating on the surface obviously dead. I asked what was for breakfast and that's when she became "evil". Apparently, if you have a hang-over in the presence of dead fish and ask for breakfast it can cause a person to turn evil.

Three easy rules to live life by ... or are they?

1) Defend the weak from the strong.

2) If it harms none, feel free to do it.

3) Rule 2 does not negate rule one.

I've heard Genghis Khan was a happy man, but its only a rumor.

genghis_khan.jpg

Forum List

Back