How to get or make your own wood chip mulch - Steps

I have an electric grinder that can handle wood up to 1 inch in diameter. The wood chips from that combined with assorted shredded materials from the garden make a fine mulch. As yiostheoy noted, if you want wood chips, you need a wood chipper. My little grinder is scary dangerous enough, thank you.

Most tree companies around here will gladly give them to you when they are grinding trees. Some have a wait list, but most just give them to whoever was last to ask.

Most tree companies around here will gladly give them to you when they are grinding trees. Some have a wait list, but most just give them to whoever was last to ask.

tree company? like commercial loggers?

I have an electric grinder that can handle wood up to 1 inch in diameter. The wood chips from that combined with assorted shredded materials from the garden make a fine mulch. As yiostheoy noted, if you want wood chips, you need a wood chipper. My little grinder is scary dangerous enough, thank you.

would an osterizer do it? food processor? coffee bean grinder?

Those work great to mulch your desktop terrarium.

oh-----but the leftover wood chips in the mayonnaise? how do I get them
to function like toothpicks?

If that's what you think mulch ingredients are for, I'm glad I'll never be a dinner guest at your house.

If that's what you think mulch ingredients are for, I'm glad I'll never be a dinner guest at your house.

you have no lived until you have partaken of my COMPOST/MULCH POTLUCK
SURPRISE

Like people who go around and cut trees down when you call them and say, "Hey come cut down this tree." I guess they are called tree removal services. Around here, they have names like Bob's Tree Company; H&D Tree Company; etc.

Hello friends,

2 options for getting free or cheap ramial chipped wood.

I do that in my garden.

Steps ---> Get or make wood chip mulch

Comments?
You would need a wood chipper.

Dangerous machine.

No thanks.

Just buy the mulch bagged at your garden supply store.
"Spoken" like someone who might have a problem safely using a retractable pen. I've been using a buddy's chipper but it can only handle twigs up to 1", or so. I'm looking for a chipper that can handle the kind of slash I have to deal wit up to 6" logs and that will attach to the PTO on my tractor.

Actually, government road crews clearing rights-of-way are more than happy to share chips, you have to provide your own transport, though.

Actually, government road crews clearing rights-of-way are more than happy to share chips, you have to provide your own transport, though.

Our city composts all that stuff with the leaves they suck up. You can get it for free, already composted, if you just drive out, park, and the guy who is always turning the pile drives over on his front-end loader and fills you up, and drives off. Never even have to speak with him. You might have to fish some plastic bags or whatever ground up in it out as you are spreading it, but okay stuff generally.

Our city composts all that stuff with the leaves they suck up. You can get it for free, already composted, if you just drive out, park, and the guy who is always turning the pile drives over on his front-end loader and fills you up, and drives off. Never even have to speak with him. You might have to fish some plastic bags or whatever ground up in it out as you are spreading it, but okay stuff generally.
I compost my own stuff because I own livestock. I've been researching how to make hot water to heat a greenhouse and plan on implementing an apparently workable process next year. I'm also looking at bagging and selling compost to the new pot growers springing up all over in Alaska. Pot needs good, rich soil, and compost is some of the best! Who'd have thought you could sell old shit?

I compost my own stuff because I own livestock. I've been researching how to make hot water to heat a greenhouse and plan on implementing an apparently workable process next year. I'm also looking at bagging and selling compost to the new pot growers springing up all over in Alaska. Pot needs good, rich soil, and compost is some of the best! Who'd have thought you could sell old shit?

I have a book on Colonial Williamsburg gardening techniques. One of the things they did was use composted manure under their cold frames to heat the soil from below. Basically it was a cold frame with a pit under it they would fill first with the compost and then put dirt over it and plant in the dirt.

There are some youtubes on how to make heaters out of coffee/soda/beer cans that might interest you. Basically they paint them black and they suck up the heat and radiate it through hoses. Some examples:

I have a book on Colonial Williamsburg gardening techniques. One of the things they did was use composted manure under their cold frames to heat the soil from below. Basically it was a cold frame with a pit under it they would fill first with the compost and then put dirt over it and plant in the dirt.

There are some youtubes on how to make heaters out of coffee/soda/beer cans that might interest you. Basically they paint them black and they suck up the heat and radiate it through hoses. Some examples:

That is interesting, I'll definitely be looking more closely at the pop-can idea. Working with an off-grid place, you try a lot of low-cost options. I've made a hay baling machine using a plywood box and a car jack. It works, too.

New Topics

Forum List

Back