How to get on the Sex offender List

That could be anyone. Stupid frickin laws; stupid frickin lawyers. But I do warn my sons and my students about statutory rape laws. Ignorance is no defense.

I'm not sure about other states, but in NJ there is a tiered system with Tier 3 being the most dangerous. On the sex offender website they state their M.O., age and sex of their victims.I must say I've never seen "visual crime against a child". For goodness sakes, they send nekkid pics to each other on their cell phones.

That could be anyone. Stupid frickin laws; stupid frickin lawyers. But I do warn my sons and my students about statutory rape laws. Ignorance is no defense.

I'm not sure about other states, but in NJ there is a tiered system with Tier 3 being the most dangerous. On the sex offender website they state their M.O., age and sex of their victims.I must say I've never seen "visual crime against a child". For goodness sakes, they send nekkid pics to each other on their cell phones.

I have a nephew who was victimized by these laws. They've ruined his life---appalling.

This is what happens when lawmakers overreact because they all rush to get more voters for the next election. They make laws like these that ruin innocent lives. Yes, there are plenty of convicted sex offenders who go on this list, and they may strike again. However, that does not excuse the existence of a system where people like the two in the article in the OP end up having their entire life destroyed due to such a error.

I know of someone who is married to a guy on the Sex Offenders List. Her family refuse to speak to her because of it. His crime (and she verified it) was having sex with his underage girlfriend - the girl was just 2 years younger than him.

Ridiculous.

Maybe people should study a bot more and learn exactly what juries are meant to do. Believe it or not, they are not there to punish people, or even follow the law without question. We were given the right to a trial before a jury of our peers as another way to limit the power of the government.

Fully Informed Jury Association

I have a nephew who was victimized by these laws. They've ruined his life---appalling.

What did he do?

There was a push a few years ago to ban sex offenders from living anywhere near a school, playground, bus stop etc but it got beat down, Initially I was for it until I learned how many Tier 1s had stupid trumped up charges against them. They pretty much could not live anywhere.

I know of someone who is married to a guy on the Sex Offenders List. Her family refuse to speak to her because of it. His crime (and she verified it) was having sex with his underage girlfriend - the girl was just 2 years younger than him.

Ridiculous.

I heard Japan has laws that make it only a misdemeanor (or maybe no crime at all) to ave sex with someone under age if the age difference between them is 2 years or less.

Now why the hell can't we have those laws?

There was a push a few years ago to ban sex offenders from living anywhere near a school, playground, bus stop etc but it got beat down, Initially I was for it until I learned how many Tier 1s had stupid trumped up charges against them. They pretty much could not live anywhere.

Exactly. Everywhere has a school, playground, and bus stop.

You would think such laws would be unconstitutional anyway under the whole cruel and unusual punishment deal. After all, after you serve your punishment in prison, should you not have to suffer for your crimes anymore? But of course, they worked their way around that.

Well I still don't like the idea of dangerous predators living near playgrounds. "Serving their time" sometimes only amounts to a few years. I like the GPS idea but I'm sure that will get knocked down as well.

I just read a disturbing story about a former whackjob student of mine. He was arrested for "criminal sexual conduct" (whatever that is) and grabbing teenage girls off the street and trying to pull them into his car. In both instances the girls got away but I'd sure as hell wouldn't want a creep like that in my neighborhood.

Well I still don't like the idea of dangerous predators living near playgrounds. "Serving their time" sometimes only amounts to a few years. I like the GPS idea but I'm sure that will get knocked down as well.

I just read a disturbing story about a former whackjob student of mine. He was arrested for "criminal sexual conduct" (whatever that is) and grabbing teenage girls off the street and trying to pull them into his car. In both instances the girls got away but I'd sure as hell wouldn't want a creep like that in my neighborhood.

Yes but until we fix the fact that people can get on the list for minor offenses/non-offenses that don't make them a danger to society we shouldn't be thinking about adding more punishment onto the list.

Besides it's dangerously close to ex-post facto in my opinion.

Forum List

Back