How to get old wood screws out of a deck

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013
I posted this under current events because it is a current event for me.........I'm replacing the wood on the old pool deck and the phillips heads screws are killing me..........I'm using the hammer method now by tapping the screw head of the drill into the screws with a hammer and then using the drill .............then I'm tearing up the board with a hammer and using a pair of pliers to get them out.

Any tricks to make it easier other than lighting it on fire and starting from scratch .LOL

I posted this under current events because it is a current event for me.........I'm replacing the wood on the old pool deck and the phillips heads screws are killing me..........I'm using the hammer method now by tapping the screw head of the drill into the screws with a hammer and then using the drill .............then I'm tearing up the board with a hammer and using a pair of pliers to get them out.

Any tricks to make it easier other than lighting it on fire and starting from scratch .LOL
Run a sawzall between the deck boards and rails. You can the flip the baords over and use the drill chuck to conter sink around the cut screws. Then tighten the chuck to back the screws out from the other side.

Run a sawzall between the deck boards and rails. You can the flip the baords over and use the drill chuck to conter sink around the cut screws. Then tighten the chuck to back the screws out from the other side.
Worth a shot............I'm ready to light it up. LOL

I love our sawsall. But if I can get the screw out by softening the wood around that screw...then I will try that. If it doesn't work...yep. Sawsall.

Screw extractor. You can buy a single one for about 3 dollars at the hardware store or home depot/lowes instead of the whole set.

71eaH5prizL._SL1000_.jpg

Do you have access to a thermo-nuclear weapon?

I have gasoline..........

:abgg2q.jpg:

Screw extractor. You can buy a single one for about 3 dollars at the hardware store or home depot/lowes instead of the whole set.

71eaH5prizL._SL1000_.jpg
I like that idea.........got a lot of screws still to remove......

Was getting medieval on it with a hammer

I have gasoline..........

:abgg2q.jpg:

Then go with the Home Depot tapset.

I usually use a cordless drill...

Well, any way you can get under the deck and hammer them up or are they rusted and becoming sand?

I have my own problem of sorts, I might ask here as well, figure some of you guys are handy, I am not particularly, though I have dealt with many technical issues in the house just from youtube videos etc.

Well, any way you can get under the deck and hammer them up or are they rusted and becoming sand?

I have my own problem of sorts, I might ask here as well, figure some of you guys are handy, I am not particularly, though I have dealt with many technical issues in the house just from youtube videos etc.
I can hammer them up by am trying to salvage the frame as much as possible.......will have to reframe some of it anyway though......been digging the wood away and twisting it out by hand.........which is aggravating............LOL

screw heads gone .......stripped you can drill all day...........LOL

I can hammer them up by am trying to salvage the frame as much as possible.......will have to reframe some of it anyway though......been digging the wood away and twisting it out by hand.........which is aggravating............LOL

Yeah that's alot of work. I will say, if you have the patience, you can tap hammer. It will take alot of time and probably hurt your back, but it will work with minimal harm to wood outside the screw hole area.

screw heads gone .......stripped you can drill all day...........LOL
I have a ten pound baby sledge that will fix that.

Yeah that's alot of work. I will say, if you have the patience, you can tap hammer. It will take alot of time and probably hurt your back, but it will work with minimal harm to wood outside the screw hole area.
Been using the hammer method........driving the phillips into the screw with the hammer then using the drill......working on a bunch but some are hopeless unless I go get the screw extractor.

Forum List

Back