How to Fix the Economy

I theory you are absolutely correct.

It's always the APPLICATION of that theory where I find myself at odds with most libertarian thinkers.

so theoretically you are a freedom lover but in practice you are a fascist.

The basis of your proposals is centered around ignorance of the diminishing rate of marginal utility.

you're so predictable ;)

ok Agna - give me a LINK !

i want to read about this shit so i can drive you off this board :)

Last edited:
Always the extreme arguments.

The only reason the federal government should exist is to manage those activities that cannot be done at a local level. National defense, brokering and enforcing treaties with foreign governments etc.

The only reason for state and local government to exist is to manage those activities that cannot be done at an individual level. Roads, sewers, etc

Neither federal or local governments should have as a responsibility any more than that.

Add to that the concepts of federal regulating / standardizing of interstate commerce and making sure that every American is afforded similar educational opportunities and you have my vote, SP.

Personally, I believe that if we invested enough in education, we would all be able to afford our own health care and most of the other entitlements would dry up for lack of use.

-Joe

Last edited:
There needs to be some government simply because on a large scale the law of the jungle simply leads to even more death and corruption and warring factions than we've got now and makes business essentially impossible.

If you think you haven't been helped by a cop you don't listen to the TV News or read your local legal news. Everytime the cops take a mugger of the street they help you, everytime a second story man or a robber is jailed you are helped either directly or indirectly.

Restrict the federal government to those things that are constitutionally permitted to it and you could reduce federal taxes by at least seventy percent and have no deficit.

There needs to be some government simply because on a large scale the law of the jungle simply leads to even more death and corruption and warring factions than we've got now and makes business essentially impossible.

If you think you haven't been helped by a cop you don't listen to the TV News or read your local legal news. Everytime the cops take a mugger of the street they help you, everytime a second story man or a robber is jailed you are helped either directly or indirectly.

Restrict the federal government to those things that are constitutionally permitted to it and you could reduce federal taxes by at least seventy percent and have no deficit.

I agree. The idea that 'no government' is the answer to 'too much' is as bone-headed as the latter. The federated system is necessary and there are many things only the fed can do. However, they have for over 70 years now, grown too large, expensive, intrusive, and controlling. It has become the monster the Founders feared. The alternative is returning the power to the states that was delegated in the Constitution. The power to Congress that was delegated and specified-which they gladly it seems, bequeathed to the Executive.
Of course the reason the states and the Congress gave up power, was they also gave up the responsibility that was incurred. It's past time for the people to demand that each level and branch of government do what they were created to do best.

yeah they help me a lot. first i pay all the parking and speeding tickets, then i pay for feeding the mugger as well as his guards while they're in jail through taxes, and then i am afraid to get behind the wheel because i know they're always trying to hunt me down for a ticket.

it's not as if the mugger stops eating at my expense while he is in jail. the only difference is now i have to feed not only the mugger but cops, guards and bureacrats.

actually i donated to Wikipedia last year. its wonderful.

anyway you're a tool.

obviously the loaf of bread that you need to avoid death by starvation is more important than the loaf of bread that you can't possibly eat cuz your stomach is about to burst.

i don't know how you can keep saying that anybody can be "ignorant" of such an obvious idea.

you damn commie !

yeah they help me a lot. first i pay all the parking and speeding tickets, then i pay for feeding the mugger as well as his guards while they're in jail through taxes, and then i am afraid to get behind the wheel because i know they're always trying to hunt me down for a ticket.

it's not as if the mugger stops eating at my expense while he is in jail. the only difference is now i have to feed not only the mugger but cops, guards and bureacrats.

I bet when you go to football games and see the teams in a huddle, you think they are talking about you.

actually i donated to Wikipedia last year. its wonderful.

anyway you're a tool.

obviously the loaf of bread that you need to avoid death by starvation is more important than the loaf of bread that you can't possibly eat cuz your stomach is about to burst.

i don't know how you can keep saying that anybody can be "ignorant" of such an obvious idea.

you damn commie !

You didn't factor it into your "commentary."

And marginal utility has what to do with this arguement?

I was referring to his references to cutting corporate and capital gains taxes and abolishing the (progressive) income tax. That's the second time wherein you've implied that my references to marginal utility are off-topic...but they aren't. ;)

Let's see ... still spending money, still have deficits. Didn't work.

lol what are you talking about ?

virtually ALL of the government can be tossed in the trash safely.

certainly all of the FEDERAL government can.

if those degenerates can't balance a budget well we don't really need them to begin with !

my favorite definition of government is "institution or organization that exercises a monopoly of violence of a given geographical area"

for all the fun they get to have raping us least they can do is balance the budget.

OK, you are an anarchist. Enough said.

Perhaps cops are a differant breed in New York than here in Oregon, but I have been helped by officers of the law numerous times. Everything from directions, to major aid when broke down. When I was still a teenager, the old car I had broke part of a points set. I was working on it in the dark in a driving rain. My younger brother was providing light with a cigarette lighter. A highway patrol officer stopped to see what was going on, and stood, in that driving rain, for nearly 30 minutes, holding a flashlight as I repaired the distributor. I will always remember that officer, for he was to me the epitome of the slogon, to serve and protect.

I theory you are absolutely correct.

It's always the APPLICATION of that theory where I find myself at odds with most libertarian thinkers.

so theoretically you are a freedom lover but in practice you are a fascist.

Yeah, right because there's absolutely nomiddle ground between absolute freedom and complete fascism.

How mature of you to think such a cheap shot would score anything but mild amusement with me.

Let me ask you freedom lover, because this fascist wants to know..

..do you believe that having an military is a necessary evil that goes along with living in a nation which helps us maintain individual rights??

If you do, then does that make you a facist, too?

Didn't think so.

So, when you're ready to come down off you Libertarian White Charger and join the rest of us who like to talk about reality instead of tilting at Libertarian FREEDOM windmills, do feel free to chime in, okay?

Nobody's particularly impressed that you love freedom, Champ.

How to maintain as much freedom as is possible, while still living in a fuctional civil society, while a whole lot harder to talk about and describe, is still something that grownups like to do when they're not trying to play the gotcha game.

Last edited:
Let me ask you freedom lover, because this fascist wants to know..

..do you believe that having an military is a necessary evil that goes along with living in a nation which helps us maintain individual rights??

If you do, then does that make you a facist, too?

Didn't think so.

to be honest i never asked myself the question whether the military is needed at all. but since you're asking it i would say NO. we do NOT need it.

i am sorry if you think its unpatriotic not to be scared.

Forum List

Back