How to find what you love to do

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Freakin' awesome. I plan on doing this sometime this weekend.

------------------

This article was inspired by Steve Jobs’ commencement speech at Stanford University. In it, he says the advice we’ve all heard a thousand times:

“You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” - Steve Jobs

Well then, the question naturally arises, how do you find what you love to do? It’s such a big question.

more...

http://briankim.net/blog/2006/07/how-to-find-what-you-love-to-do

5stringJeff said:
Freakin' awesome. I plan on doing this sometime this weekend.

------------------

This article was inspired by Steve Jobs’ commencement speech at Stanford University. In it, he says the advice we’ve all heard a thousand times:

“You’ve got to find what you love. And that is as true for your work as it is for your lovers. Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do.” - Steve Jobs

Well then, the question naturally arises, how do you find what you love to do? It’s such a big question.

more...

http://briankim.net/blog/2006/07/how-to-find-what-you-love-to-do

Good article--I especially liked--
What would I love to do on a daily basis utilizing both my skills and interests that will add significant value to people?

I did the, pretend I had a million dollars thing. I wound up deeply in debt and spending all my time with you losers. Oh well.:laugh:

Nienna said:
That's what you said before. What don't you buy?

I don't buy the premise that somebody will know themselves by using a pen and paper...intellectualizing?

To know oneself, one has to let oneself live, fail, and junk.

dmp said:
I don't buy the premise that somebody will know themselves by using a pen and paper...intellectualizing?

I think he's saying to write down all the stuff & junk you've learned by living & failing. Or whatever.

Nienna said:
I think he's saying to write down all the stuff & junk you've learned by living & failing. Or whatever.

ya--you already know what your real strengths and weaknesses are. Writing them down anchors them and more importantly has the brain "work" differently.

Baldfaced honesty is a must tho.

this is good...it is how i found architecture....

i would add this.....

sometimes we lie to ourselves about our strengths and weaknesses

so, a list of efforts that you have been complimented on

if you get compliments (mom's and friends don't count) on what you do that should be a clue as well

i did three columns at 16....this same advice came from my uncle in 1976....god bless him or i would be a criminal defence attorney

dmp said:

Think of it as a mid-life AAR (that's After Action Review, for those non-Army types). AARs are always written down so that people learn from mistakes (and strengths).

5stringJeff said:
Think of it as a mid-life AAR (that's After Action Review, for those non-Army types). AARs are always written down so that people learn from mistakes (and strengths).

Thanks for posting, Jeff. Some of us are looking at a career change in a year or two. :)

Forum List

Back