how to explain gay rights to an idiot

In Oklahoma we have a constitutional amendment that says that marriage is between one man and one woman. It also says that the state of Oklahoma will not recognize same-sex marriages performed in any other state. It has already survived three attempts to overturn it AND the Oklahoma Supreme Court has ruled it is constitutional. I helped pass that amendment. I gave money to the effort to pass the amendment and I believe it is the right thing for Oklahoma.

That is not the case in California and other states. And quite frankly, I believe that this is a state's rights issue. If any state in this union believes that same-sex marriage is something they want to acknowledge, then I say that they are absolutely, 100% within their right to do so.

Any other arguement is crap soup...

A reason I would not go to Oklahoma nor advise any one I know to go thru Oklahoma. Don't need to visit a 3rd world country like place.

I have no issue with gay mariage and gay rights. What they do with their lives is up to them just as what I do with my life is up to me.....and whereas I would not want someone telling me I cant do something because it compromises THEIR moral convictions, I feel it is inappropriate for me to do the same to anyone else.

However, I respect those that are against it from a religious standpoint...they have the right to feel it is inappropriate and express such sentiments.

Ironically, those that are pro gay rights seem to not care about the rights of those with religious convictions.

But I guess that is a debate for another day.

In Oklahoma we have a constitutional amendment that says that marriage is between one man and one woman. It also says that the state of Oklahoma will not recognize same-sex marriages performed in any other state. It has already survived three attempts to overturn it AND the Oklahoma Supreme Court has ruled it is constitutional. I helped pass that amendment. I gave money to the effort to pass the amendment and I believe it is the right thing for Oklahoma.

That is not the case in California and other states. And quite frankly, I believe that this is a state's rights issue. If any state in this union believes that same-sex marriage is something they want to acknowledge, then I say that they are absolutely, 100% within their right to do so.

A reason I would not go to Oklahoma nor advise any one I know to go thru Oklahoma. Don't need to visit a 3rd world country like place.

You see?

This is what pisses me off.

"if you dont think like me then you are an asshole"

Fucked up attitude...and gets us nowhere.

And still they don't get it. Amazing isn't it?

I freely admit I still don't understand why gays need government recognition of their relationship and checks of other people's money. Nope, I don't.

I freely admit I still don't understand why straights need government recognition of their relationship and checks of other people's money. Nope, I don't.

excellent point

I have no issue with gay mariage and gay rights. What they do with their lives is up to them just as what I do with my life is up to me.....and whereas I would not want someone telling me I cant do something because it compromises THEIR moral convictions, I feel it is inappropriate for me to do the same to anyone else.

However, I respect those that are against it from a religious standpoint...they have the right to feel it is inappropriate and express such sentiments.

Ironically, those that are pro gay rights seem to not care about the rights of those with religious convictions.

And I totally respect their choice not to gay marry, not to go to a gay marriage, not to send gifts to a gay marriage or not allow a gay marriage in their church. However, I do not respect them trying to use secular law to prevent equal rights under that law.

You see?

You must be in a perpetual state of anger.
On a personal level, I just dont care. Now politically is different. If the opposition can not treat me fairly without looking at my wallet first, Why cant I look to see if they are deviant first?

Oklahoma is not alone. This is part of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Virginia:

Only a union between one man and one woman may be a marriage valid in or recognized by this Commonwealth and its political subdivisions. This Commonwealth and its political subdivisions shall not create or recognize a legal status for relationships of unmarried individuals that intends to approximate the design, qualities, significance, or effects of marriage. Nor shall this Commonwealth or its political subdivisions create or recognize another union, partnership, or other legal status to which is assigned the rights, benefits, obligations, qualities, or effects of marriage.​

Not even civil unions between same sexes are recognized.

And I totally respect their choice not to gay marry, not to go to a gay marriage, not to send gifts to a gay marriage or not allow a gay marriage in their church. However, I do not respect them trying to use secular law to prevent equal rights under that law.
I understand.

But whereas you (and I for that matter) ask for "tolerance"......you should also offer tolerance and understanding of their position.

It is their religious belief that what THEY have done is marriage and anything different compromises what they see as a religious rite.

To them, it is saying their "marriage" is no longer what they were religiously taught was marriage.....so to them, it is IMPEDING on their right.

I am not taking that position....but I completly understand it and respect it.

If a man is not allowed to take a dick (or a fist) in his ass is that man truly free? I think not. It's all so clear to me now!

Fortunately for gay and straight couples through out the U.S. it is, as long as consenting adults and in private.....but what does that have to do with the topic of marriage?

While they are virtually unenforceable, actually a lot of States still have sodomy laws on the books that include making it illegal to have gay or oral sex. While I mock that gays need government validation of their relationship and government "benefits" rather then just being able to live their lives, I do find it an arrogant violation of people's bodies that government would even have laws regulating sex in private between consenting adults. The main opposition to removing them are Christian bigots who like having them even if they can't enforce them. Yet another reason I have no respect for social conservatives who generally then turn around and say government should stay out of our wallet...but in our bedroom...

You see?

On a personal level, I just dont care. Now politically is different. If the opposition can not treat me fairly without looking at my wallet first, Why cant I look to see if they are deviant first?
Becuase "deviant" is defined differently from person to person.

You see?

nah...not in a perpetual state of anger.....just making a point.

You see?

So is wealth..... And????

So is wealth..... And????

lol...yes....so is wealth.....success....hell.....people define "work ethic" differently as well

No..."and".....just making a point.

Thanks for posting this TM, I didn't know suckin' a dick was a "Civil Right".
If a man is not allowed to take a dick (or a fist) in his ass is that man truly free? I think not. It's all so clear to me now!
Fortunately for gay and straight couples through out the U.S. it is, as long as consenting adults and in private.....but what does that have to do with the topic of marriage?
The topic is about "Gay Rights". Did you miss that?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back