“How to Debate a Liberal,” a systematic guide to trouncing a lefty opponent.

Debating righties is easy . Call Them out on their lies . They then resort to name calling .

No we don't have to resort to what you do.

Actually look at the many threads on this forum...

OP say some right wing

Other idiots back him up

Pointed out it is a untrue or unfounded and there is evidence for the exact opposite..

OP insults the reply...

Other idiots back him up

They claim vistory...

You are one of the many unwashed leftard morons that suck at making a coherent argument that bails when confronted after hurling a lame insult because you couldn't refute a point. I have you filed under "Why Does He Even Bother?"

IF YOU DO NOT KNOW SOMETHING, ADMIT IT

That's where you lost republicans. When they don't know they simply invoke Obama or Clinton to avoid the point that was made.
The problem isn't what we know. It's what you don't know but swear is the only way that's the problem.

Yeah, that's like the quote from "The Big Short" and I agree. Except that doesn't address anything I've said.
It perfectly addresses what you said. Congrats you are now on the same side as the too big to fail banks that didn't understand what was happening. But that is the big government you want isn't it?

:confused-84:

Debating righties is easy . Call Them out on their lies . They then resort to name calling .

OP say some right wing

Other idiots back him up

Pointed out it is a untrue or unfounded and there is evidence for the exact opposite..

OP insults the reply...

Other idiots back him up

They claim vistory...
Which is why a forum is not the proper place for debate. Proper debate requires structure. There is another site that has structured debates. You can decide how many rounds it lasts. You present arguments, and counter-arguments, along with evidence to back up what you say. When the debate is over, everyone votes for the winner, on a point system, and must provide a written explanation of why they think that person is the winner. Only problem is it's a LOT of work. You really have to research and validate any evidence you use, because your opponent can give rebuttals during the debate. And you have to do it within the time limit both parties agree upon. It was a pretty stimulating experience. The reason I left is because the site seems to be dominated by leftists. But it's still a great tool for sharpening your debating skills. Considering the obvious bias of the participants, I think I did good with a 34 percent win rate. BTW, there are many liberals on there who were honest, and voted based on the debate itself. I found that rather refreshing.

Debating a conservative is like debating the taliban or isis.

Your ideas on economics isn't used anywhere else in the world. Slashing and cutting isn't what makes a country strong....Get it?
Your hatred of education, science and infrastructure will just weaken our own country.

The only solid argument conservatives have is their support of the family unit...At one time conservatives wouldn't have crapped on knowledge and education as they do today but that is why old style conservatives were so much superior.
You don't debate conservatives. You post a bunch of childish jibberish just like you did with your opening sentence in this post. You're an idiot and do nothing but make a fool of yourself regularly.

There was a time you could actually discuss something with conservative leaning people. That ended about 15 years ago after con-media had enough time to herd all these people into a bubble into which rational thought and fact cannot penetrate. The alt-right lives there, Fox News lives there, and con-talk-radio lives there. Listen to any of these entities and all of their programming, even local con-talk-radio, is set up as 'what topic today can we couch 'them' as our enemy with'. It is a constant 24/7 365 inculcation of 'our team is good and pure and the only real whatever' and they are evil and sent by Satan himself.

Conservative media reduces all discussion to us vs them. It creates a false dichotomy for EVERYTHING.

There was a time you could actually discuss something with conservative leaning people. That ended about 15 years ago after con-media had enough time to herd all these people into a bubble into which rational thought and fact cannot penetrate. The alt-right lives there, Fox News lives there, and con-talk-radio lives there. Listen to any of these entities and all of their programming, even local con-talk-radio, is set up as 'what topic today can we couch 'them' as our enemy with'. It is a constant 24/7 365 inculcation of 'our team is good and pure and the only real whatever' and they are evil and sent by Satan himself.

Conservative media reduces all discussion to us vs them. It creates a false dichotomy for EVERYTHING.
Both sides play that game bud. It's not exclusive to the right. Remember when Hillary said the GOP was her enemy? She certainly isn't part of the conservative media now is she...

Both sides play that game bud. It's not exclusive to the right. Remember when Hillary said the GOP was her enemy? She certainly isn't part of the conservative media now is she...

One of the main tenets of this 'bubble' is the false equivalency. It is always "well everyone does it equally". No, they don't. And one anecdotal example doesn't nullify anything. That's like saying "well no one is perfect so we're all the same and it's just one big mud puddle". False equivalency.

One of the main tenets of this 'bubble' is the false equivalency. It is always "well everyone does it equally". No, they don't. And one anecdotal example doesn't nullify anything. That's like saying "well no one is perfect so we're all the same and it's just one big mud puddle". False equivalency.
Wrong

Timmy, you have never been able to "debate" me....you always run away like a scolded child.

Here is another chance for you to "school" me in the ways of leftardism....knock yourself out.

Can you cite an example ?

Cause like I said . Righties make a claim, when called out they just hurl insults . You managed to do both in one post ! Good job !

Timmy, you have never been able to "debate" me....you always run away like a scolded child.

Here is another chance for you to "school" me in the ways of leftardism....knock yourself out.

Cause like I said . Righties make a claim, when called out they just hurl insults . You managed to do both in one post ! Good job !

Can you cite me an example of you ever trying to debate me? You have said I was "crazy" and that "La Raza" isn't even racist. You can't debate anything worth a shit...all leftard talking points filled with denial and ignorance....it's what you do best. Pick a topic and let's debate it and let the board members decide which one of us makes the better argument.

OP say some right wing

Other idiots back him up

OP insults the reply...

Other idiots back him up

They claim vistory...
Which is why a forum is not the proper place for debate. Proper debate requires structure. There is another site that has structured debates. You can decide how many rounds it lasts. You present arguments, and counter-arguments, along with evidence to back up what you say. When the debate is over, everyone votes for the winner, on a point system, and must provide a written explanation of why they think that person is the winner. Only problem is it's a LOT of work. You really have to research and validate any evidence you use, because your opponent can give rebuttals during the debate. And you have to do it within the time limit both parties agree upon. It was a pretty stimulating experience. The reason I left is because the site seems to be dominated by leftists. But it's still a great tool for sharpening your debating skills. Considering the obvious bias of the participants, I think I did good with a 34 percent win rate. BTW, there are many liberals on there who were honest, and voted based on the debate itself. I found that rather refreshing.

Oh come off it Doodles. Your entire OP was completely not about debate at all --- it was about "framing" and ad hominem and deflection and how to think you "won" based on a shitpile of fallacies, themselves built out of other fallacies. You can't even decide whether your target is "Liberals" or "leftists". I called that conflation out when the thread was first started, and you just ran away. So much for "trouncing" huh. :eusa_hand:

How do you debate a liberal who is determined to paint you as a racist, sexist, homophobe who still believes the Earth is flat?

For the answer, we look to KTTH host Ben Shapiro, fabled agitator of leftists everywhere. Shapiro has figured out a winning formula to defeat flawed leftist rhetoric.

On Oct. 3, 2013, Shapiro gave a groundbreaking lecture at the University of California San Diego’s David Horowitz Freedom Center called “How to Debate a Liberal,” a systematic guide to trouncing a lefty opponent.

Want a free eBook of Shapiro’s “How to Debate a Liberal” lesson? Click here to sign up to be a member – it’s free! – at Shapiro’s Truth Revolt website.

Shapiro opened his lecture with a useful lesson from recent political history: that Republicans lost the 2012 presidential election not because of policy, but because Democrats were able to frame Mitt Romney as a “bad guy,” and Barack Obama as a “nice guy.”

It’s a common leftist “bully tactic,” Shapiro says, that you must outmaneuver in order to win the debate.

Here are Shapiro’s steps to winning an argument against a liberal.

EMBRACE THE FIRE

Politics is war, Shapiro says, crediting his late friend Andrew Brietbart. So, if you’re going to get into a debate with a liberal, be ready to punch them hard – but also be willing to sustain a few punches yourself.

“You have to be willing to take the first punch,” Shapiro said.

Of course, that’s a rhetorical punch. You can land a hard one with the next step.

FRAME YOUR OPPONENT

Discussing gun control with liberal CNN host Piers Morgan on live TV in January 2013, Shapiro scored a near knockout in the first few seconds of the debate by framing his opponent. He accused Morgan of standing on the graves of murdered children to further his anti-gun agenda.

The result? Shapiro appeared as the victor in the debate, and as a reasonable, levelheaded, and competent opponent. Turn your lefty opponent’s ludicrous tactics against them by framing them as the bad guy.

FRAME THE DEBATE

Just as important as step No. 2 is putting your opponent on the defensive by framing the debate in a way that they are unfamiliar with, Shapiro says.

If the debate is about global warming, do not debate on whether it is manmade. Rather, debate about what policies can solve it.

If you are debating gun rights, prepare yourself for the standard liberal argument, which is that we don’t need guns at all. Instead, ask them what we can do to curb gun violence, and violence as a whole.

“You have to frame the debate in ways they’re not familiar with,” Shapiro said. “Otherwise, it turns into a character argument. You’re a flat-Earther, you’re corrupt, you’re mean, you’re stupid – these are the lines of [liberal] attack.”

SPOT THEIR INCONSISTENCIES

Every single leftist argument is full of inconsistencies. They claim they want marriage equality, but at the same time they want to force churches to endorse an irreligious practice; they want universal government-sponsored health care, but they do not support forcing people to become doctors, which would be necessarily to support such a massive program.

The positive thing is this irrational logic is easy to spot. Do not be afraid to point out these wacky contradictions.

FORCE THEM TO ANSWER QUESTIONS

Sure, liberals love to put conservatives on the defense by forcing them to answer questions, but do liberals have to answer?

Force them to answer questions. If they are pro-gay marriage, ask them which parent is less vital to a family: the mother or the father. Chances are, they’ll have to concede that a family is better with a mother and a father, not just one or the other. And, if they’re for the separation of church and state, ask them if they think government should be forced to perform same-sex marriages.

DON’T GET DISTRACTED

Liberals love George W. Bush. That is, they love to invoke his name to prove that Republicans and conservatives are incompetent. Ignore weak rhetorical tactics. Stay focused on the debate at hand, not left field references that leftists use to make you look weak.

YOU DON’T HAVE TO DEFEND ALL CONSERVATIVES

It’s not your job to defend every conservative. Conservatives are human and often do any say things you might not always disagree with. Just because you voted for someone and largely agree with their views doesn’t mean you have to defend them.

If your liberal opponent wants to bring up something Reagan did or said 30 years ago, tell them to build a time machine. If you stand around defending every conservative ever, you’re going to waste a bunch of time and energy.

You are not an oracle, and you’re not Google. You don’t need to know everything.

If a liberal challenges you on a topic you’re unfamiliar with, politely decline to talk about it. You’re allowed.

“If you don’t know something, don’t discuss the topic,” Shapiro said. “Say, ‘I haven’t researched it sufficiently.’ If they insist, tell them that they’re being unfair.

“Ego will kill you in these kinds of debates.”

LET THEM HAVE MEANINGLESS VICTORIES

Do you stand for diversity? Of course, why not?

Are you in favor of immigration reform? You betcha.

Conceding certain points to a liberal will accomplish several things. First, it puts them off guard. When they ask you if you support immigration reform, they’re expecting you to say “no,” which would allow them to accuse you of being a racist. The thing is the term “immigration reform” is essentially meaningless, which allows you to agree with it without conceding your position.

Second, it will make the liberal think you are more of a moderate, which has the effect of softening their rhetorical attack.

CONCLUSION

Above all, remember that leftists are not there to debate you; they are there to use you to prove that conservatism is a radical ideology that professes racist, sexist ideals. It isn’t true, of course, but you can’t win an argument with someone who hates you for your beliefs.

Instead, debate liberals on substance and policy, Shapiro says.

“The left has only one play,” Shapiro says. “The play is ‘you’re nasty.’”
If that is your "A" Game.......you got a lot of learning to do

For as far as I read in the OP, the approaches offered depend on one thing: attacking and tearing down the opponent's argument/position. That's all well and good if one can do so effectively and soundly; however, taking that approach doesn't do a thing to give merit to one's own position(s). It only shows the inadequacy of one or several positions that are not one's own. Thus, unless the realm of possible positions is in fact binary, that is not a winning approach.

I know a debate on political matters between two individuals seems to many people, most notably shortsighted folks, like a chess match, but it's not, other than that it's between two individuals. The discriminating differences are:
  • The range of possible outcomes/approaches to resolving the subject under debate is usually vast, and the range of possible outcomes from implementing whatever be the course of action for which the two parties advocate is vastly greater than two, which is the quantity of possible outcomes to any chess match played to completion.
  • A chess match, like any sporting competition, is played largely for its own sake and the impact of winning and losing pertains, by and large, to the competitors. Others are generally not greatly affected in any material way by the outcome, no matter what it is.

That is simply not so regarding political debate and the attendant outcomes and go-forward approaches resulting from elected and appointed officials winning or losing the debate. (Winning or losing a debate here is of no real value.) The goal of a policy debate among the people who make policy is to effect outcomes that are better for all, or for more than merely the simple majority that defines the lower limit of a quantity called "most."

FRAME YOUR OPPONENT

Discussing gun control with liberal CNN host Piers Morgan on live TV in January 2013, Shapiro scored a near knockout in the first few seconds of the debate by framing his opponent. He accused Morgan of standing on the graves of murdered children to further his anti-gun agenda.

The result? Shapiro appeared as the victor in the debate, and as a reasonable, levelheaded, and competent opponent.

Appearances can be deceiving. What one makes one's debate opponent look like is one thing, but it has nothing to do with the sufficiency and rigor, or lack thereof, in one's own lines of argument.

Additionally, though emotional lines of argument such as those described in the above example you've given are appealing to the hoi polloi, they don't hold water with rational thinkers.

putting your opponent on the defensive by framing the debate in a way that they are unfamiliar with

That is the very essence of an ad hominem attack/line of argument, which almost always is unsound from square one.

Every single leftist argument is full of inconsistencies. They claim they want marriage equality, but at the same time they want to force churches to endorse an irreligious practice; they want universal government-sponsored health care, but they do not support forcing people to become doctors, which would be necessarily to support such a massive program.

The positive thing is this irrational logic is easy to spot. Do not be afraid to point out these wacky contradictions.

Spotting and noting the inconsistencies in another's line of argument is important, it's the right thing to do. The thing is that the inconsistencies given in the quote just above are false comparisons. The things compared are contextually unrelated. For example, having marriage equality has nothing to do with who performs the marriage. Similarly, who pays for heath care services provided has nothing to do with who provides the palliative services.

I stopped reading the OP at that the last quote I've noted above. I'd hoped to see something substantive in the OP's suggested approaches to debating. I found only unsound foolishness and puerile balderdash; thus I stopped reading.

Can you cite me an example of you ever trying to debate me? You have said I was "crazy" and that "La Raza" isn't even racist. You can't debate anything worth a shit...all leftard talking points filled with denial and ignorance....it's what you do best. Pick a topic and let's debate it and let the board members decide which one of us makes the better argument.

Well I started a thread comparing nukes to guns if you want to join the fun.

How do you debate a liberal who is determined to paint you as a racist, sexist, homophobe who still believes the Earth is flat?

For the answer, we look to KTTH host Ben Shapiro, fabled agitator of leftists everywhere. Shapiro has figured out a winning formula to defeat flawed leftist rhetoric.

"Leftist" rhetoric?

Your title says "Liberal". Then it suddenly switches to "lefty". Then your OP waddles aimlessly back and forth between both.

Which way you wanna point this thing?

Republicans really don't give a shit as long as they're not in the picture.

On Oct. 3, 2013, Shapiro gave a groundbreaking lecture at the University of California San Diego’s David Horowitz Freedom Center called “How to Debate a Liberal,” a systematic guide to trouncing a lefty opponent.

Want a free eBook of Shapiro’s “How to Debate a Liberal” lesson? Click here to sign up to be a member – it’s free! – at Shapiro’s Truth Revolt website.

Shapiro opened his lecture with a useful lesson from recent political history: that Republicans lost the 2012 presidential election not because of policy, but because Democrats were able to frame Mitt Romney as a “bad guy,” and Barack Obama as a “nice guy.”

It’s a common leftist “bully tactic,” Shapiro says, that you must outmaneuver in order to win the debate.

Here are Shapiro’s steps to winning an argument against a liberal.

EMBRACE THE FIRE

Politics is war, Shapiro says, crediting his late friend Andrew Brietbart. So, if you’re going to get into a debate with a liberal, be ready to punch them hard – but also be willing to sustain a few punches yourself.

“You have to be willing to take the first punch,” Shapiro said.

Of course, that’s a rhetorical punch. You can land a hard one with the next step.

FRAME YOUR OPPONENT

The result? Shapiro appeared as the victor in the debate, and as a reasonable, levelheaded, and competent opponent. Turn your lefty opponent’s ludicrous tactics against them by framing them as the bad guy.

FRAME THE DEBATE

Just as important as step No. 2 is putting your opponent on the defensive by framing the debate in a way that they are unfamiliar with, Shapiro says.

If the debate is about global warming, do not debate on whether it is manmade. Rather, debate about what policies can solve it.

If you are debating gun rights, prepare yourself for the standard liberal argument, which is that we don’t need guns at all. Instead, ask them what we can do to curb gun violence, and violence as a whole.

“You have to frame the debate in ways they’re not familiar with,” Shapiro said. “Otherwise, it turns into a character argument. You’re a flat-Earther, you’re corrupt, you’re mean, you’re stupid – these are the lines of [liberal] attack.”

FORCE THEM TO ANSWER QUESTIONS

Sure, liberals love to put conservatives on the defense by forcing them to answer questions, but do liberals have to answer?

Force them to answer questions. If they are pro-gay marriage, ask them which parent is less vital to a family: the mother or the father. Chances are, they’ll have to concede that a family is better with a mother and a father, not just one or the other. And, if they’re for the separation of church and state, ask them if they think government should be forced to perform same-sex marriages.

DON’T GET DISTRACTED

Liberals love George W. Bush. That is, they love to invoke his name to prove that Republicans and conservatives are incompetent. Ignore weak rhetorical tactics. Stay focused on the debate at hand, not left field references that leftists use to make you look weak.

YOU DON’T HAVE TO DEFEND ALL CONSERVATIVES

It’s not your job to defend every conservative. Conservatives are human and often do any say things you might not always disagree with. Just because you voted for someone and largely agree with their views doesn’t mean you have to defend them.

If your liberal opponent wants to bring up something Reagan did or said 30 years ago, tell them to build a time machine. If you stand around defending every conservative ever, you’re going to waste a bunch of time and energy.

You are not an oracle, and you’re not Google. You don’t need to know everything.

If a liberal challenges you on a topic you’re unfamiliar with, politely decline to talk about it. You’re allowed.

“If you don’t know something, don’t discuss the topic,” Shapiro said. “Say, ‘I haven’t researched it sufficiently.’ If they insist, tell them that they’re being unfair.

“Ego will kill you in these kinds of debates.”

LET THEM HAVE MEANINGLESS VICTORIES

Do you stand for diversity? Of course, why not?

Are you in favor of immigration reform? You betcha.

Conceding certain points to a liberal will accomplish several things. First, it puts them off guard. When they ask you if you support immigration reform, they’re expecting you to say “no,” which would allow them to accuse you of being a racist. The thing is the term “immigration reform” is essentially meaningless, which allows you to agree with it without conceding your position.

Second, it will make the liberal think you are more of a moderate, which has the effect of softening their rhetorical attack.

CONCLUSION

Above all, remember that leftists are not there to debate you; they are there to use you to prove that conservatism is a radical ideology that professes racist, sexist ideals. It isn’t true, of course, but you can’t win an argument with someone who hates you for your beliefs.

Instead, debate liberals on substance and policy, Shapiro says.

“The left has only one play,” Shapiro says. “The play is ‘you’re nasty.’”

Can you direct us to an example of you doing the above here at USMB?

lol

Forum List

Back