How to Cut the Military Budget

Whenever we start talking about cutting social programs and military spending in the same sentence, we might just be getting somewhere. Until then....it's just a hack fest.

Have any of you actually looked at our military strength in Europe?

"In 2006, for the first time since Leighton and his battle buddies arrived, U.S. troop strength on the continent fell below 100,000. The drop is indicative of a post-Cold War effort to restructure the force, a campaign that stretches back to the early 1990s, when there were more than 300,000 troops in Europe.

By 2015, the number of troops in Europe is scheduled to drop to 60,000 as part of the current restructuring initiative popularly known as “transformation.” The plan also calls for cutting 14,500 civilian slots, shutting down scores of installations and reconfiguring and repositioning dozens of units."
Transformation: Military looks beyond rich history toward its future in Europe - News - Stripes

This is less than 50% of the number of troops that were in Europe in the early 70's and we are still pulling out of there. This is not the place to look. There are many places to cut military spending but pulling even more out of Europe is not it.

The first Unit I was stationed with in Europe is having a reunion this year, I've seen pictures of the empty barracks and launcher and radar areas. It's almost sad. But I agree with the cutbacks there so far.

Are you ACTUALLY serious about reducing the deficit?
Really?
For real and for true?

I'll make you a deal:
I'll agree to you cutting $X from defense spending. Whatever you want.
You'll agree to me cutting $3X from entitlement spending. Whatever I want.

Who's in?

Really?
For real and for true?

I'll make you a deal:

Who's in?

Just wondering where the 3x number comes from. How did you come to that number? Just wondering.

Really?
For real and for true?

I'll make you a deal:

Who's in?

Just wondering where the 3x number comes from. How did you come to that number? Just wondering.
Defense spending is leas than 1/3 that of entitlement spending.
$655B v $2288B (FY2009)

One way to cut defense spending is to get the hell out of Afghanistan and Iraq

25% is a big chunk that deserves some cutting.
In 1 trillion dollars...there's got to be something you can cut that matters.
You can inflate any number by inputing other things to it, just as we see here.
Of course, when you do that, it means you're just making things up.
Generally, -that- means you dont have much to stand on, and you know it.

Huh?

How am I inflating 1 trillion dollars. How am I making 1/4th of the budget seem more than 1/4th?

And yeah...where did this "I get to cut 3 times what you get to cut" number come from?
If you say "well entitlement spending is 3x what military spending is" you might have a start of an argument...but only a start.

Since we can't seem to have some objective criteria of what's bad...and we have a two party system (for the most part)...it needs to be dollar for dollar, brah.

"the Romans fought for Empire. The Pride of that haughty people was to domineer over the rest of Mankind. But this is not our Object. We contend for the Liberty of our Country and the Rights of human Nature. We hope tosucceed in so righteous a Contest; and it is our Duty to aquire such Habits, and to cultivate in those who are to come after us such Principles and Manners as will perpetuate to our Country the Blessings which are purchasd with our Toils and Dangers"

-- Samuel Adams; letter to Alexander McDougall (May, 13, 1782)

How am I inflating 1 trillion dollars. How am I making 1/4th of the budget seem more than 1/4th?
I already explained that.
You are adding numbers to "defense spending" that are not actually defense spending.

And yeah...where did this "I get to cut 3 times what you get to cut" number come from?
This has also been explained.
Are you in, or not?

Below is what I posted in another thread on cutting the budget.
http://www.usmessageboard.com/econo...ollars-are-spent-where-do-you-say-to-cut.html

I agree Defense Spending MUST be cut, however, Dems can't win that argument without cutting other places. The easiest places to cut are (4) Safety Net, (6) Federal Pensions which equates to 21% of the budget (same as Healthcare, Social Security and Defense). Harder places to cut are Healthcare and Social Security. HOWEVER, if the Democrats dream of getting cross the isle compromises on significant Defense cuts then they will have to cut the above four mentioned

NOTE: It is very disturbing to me that a combined 5% of the Federal budget goes to Education 3% and Medical and Scientific Research 2%! These are the only areas that MUST be increased! It is no wonder our schools are falling so far behind when when spend so little on it!

(1) Medicare ($468K), Medicaid and Chips: 21% = $753 Bil:
First things first, STOP giving free healthcare to Illegals. When Jose, Juan and Joe go to the hospital and only Joe has insurance and is going to pay, but Jose and Juan are illegals not paying dick! The cost gets pushed to Joe. Meaning healthcare costs go up simply because only one person can pay! Its robbery!
Second is to move raise the ages for Medicare. Sorry, but we live longer and that needs to be considered. 65 half benefits if taken, 68 2/3 benefits and 70 ful benefits. Raising the rates will save a ton of money.
Medicaid. First things first, NO MEDICAID FOR ILLEGALS!!! Sorry CA but FUCK YOU! Illegal shouldn't get medicaid PERIOD! Like Obamacare or not, but the pre-existing condition eliminator will allow many who couldn't get health insurance the ability to get health insurance. It's one positive of the bill! Believe it or not this eliminates a problem Majority of the people on Chips and Medicaid are their because they can't get on private insurance!
Third, find a way to get off the employer based system. This puts our corporations at a huge disadvantage and the Fed loses money due to tax exemption (note: The tax exemption shouldn't go away or be reduced unless we find a way to get off the employer based system.

(2) Social Security 20% = $708 bil[/B]:
Look, when the age was set at 65 people lived into the 70s and some into the 80s! That is not the case now. Most live to the 70s, many to the 80s and 90s! We need to recognize these realities. Do the sliding scale again. 65 is earlier retirement 50% benefits. 68 = 2/3. and 70 is the new 65 to get to 100% benefits. Allow the Social Security reserves to be invested! Have some of the best economic minds do the investing, like Warren Buffet!

(3) Defense 20% = $715 B (including $172 B for the 2 wars):
You would be dishonest to say that SS and Medicaid/care must be cut, but not defense. Look, defense needs to be cut. Leaving Iraq will save cash, but Afghanistan looks like years away from ending. Cut defense! Close some bases. Sorry, but it needs to be done! I hate saying it, but I know the danger of Islamic terror, but defense must be cut.

(4) Safety Net 14% = $482 B:

The explanation of what it is below! Basically it's entitlement spending!
First things first, NO FOOD STAMPS, WELFARE or ENTITLEMENTS for Illegals.
Second, cut them drastically and have at least welfare be temporary. Don't let people fall into a cycle of relying on it.
Third, means test should apply!
Fourth, don't penalize someone from getting married or having a job on welfare. People don't do either because they lose the benefits.
Fifth, only allow the "essential" food identies for food stamps. Make it for basic necessities only. It should be a life saver not a life enhancer!
Sixth, REQUIRE month druge test for welfare! Sorry, but far too many drug addicts are on welfare!

Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
will support programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship.

These programs include: the refundable portion of the earned-income and child tax credits, which assist low- and moderate-income working families through the tax code; programs that provide cash payments to eligible individuals or households, including Supplemental Security Income for the elderly or disabled poor and unemployment insurance; various forms of in-kind assistance for low-income families and individuals, including food stamps, school meals, low-income housing assistance, child-care assistance, and assistance in meeting home energy bills; and various other programs such as those that aid abused and neglected children.

(5) Interest on Debt 8% = $209 B:
This is the equivalent of a reckless person making $100K a year and have $80K in credit card debt! We need to pay this quick. Our interest payment to China should not be higher than 2% of the budget!

(6) Benefits for Federal Retirees (PENSION PLANS) 7%:
This is HIGHWAY FUCKING ROBBERY! Not a damn cent of tax payor money should go to pay pension plans. The private sector had to go from pension plans to individual retirement plans (like 401K), so why the hell shouldn't the GOVERNMENT! This should be an instance 7% savings!

(7) Transportation and Infrastructure 3%:
This is an are where there is a lot of waste and we constantly fix highways that don't need fixing. I know they want to provide jobs, but come on waste is waste!

(8) Education 3%:
This is an area we need to increase, but not on teacher pension plans!

(9) Scientific & Medical Research 2%:
This is actually an area we should increase! Starting with Stem Cell research!

(10) Non-security Interest International 1%:
So when people scream about those dirty Jews getting our tax dollar realize it a time portion of the debt. Ditto for Pakistan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Yemen, African nationsl fighting AIDS etc. It's a talking point!

(13) All other Debt 4%:
This includes pork barrel spending. So truthfully that is a talking point. Yes it can be a starting point, but the real cutting must come from the Top 68% (SS, Medicare/caid, Defense and Pension Plans)

Better yet, lets just disband the Military. The boy scouts can take care of us, they train with guns and bow and arrow anyways.

If we stop acting like we have the right to defend ourselves, no one will feel the need to threaten us, and so we won't -need- a military.

Better yet, lets just disband the Military. The boy scouts can take care of us, they train with guns and bow and arrow anyways.

Given that no foreign country has managed to invade the US mainland in almost 200 years, the Boy Scouts may be able to handle the job

Given that no foreign country has managed to invade the US mainland in almost 200 years, the Boy Scouts may be able to handle the job

Lets do it, I'm sure they will do great when we send them out to humanitarian missions in places like Haiti as well.

Given that no foreign country has managed to invade the US mainland in almost 200 years...
... a fact made possible -only- by the creation and maintenance of an effective military...

Lets do it, I'm sure they will do great when we send them out to humanitarian missions in places like Haiti as well.

Then again we can take second amendment remedies and have well regulated militias to defend CONUS

Forum List

Back