How to create a budget.

emptystep

VIP Member
Jul 17, 2012
Given the current state of affairs it is safe to say creating a budget is not an easy task. That is why I have created a thread to explore this very topic.

There has been many references to the National Commission on Fiscal Responsibility and Reform, or the Simpson-Bowles, report. The Commission included 18 members and one executive director appointed by the president. This included six members of the U.S. House of Representatives, and six members of the U.S. Senate. There were five public meeting in which 12 individuals testified and one public forum featuring nearly 90 groups and individuals. The report seems to be well referenced but not very well liked. I went through the bio's of the twelve individuals who gave testimony and only one person seemed to have a relevant background to the topic, Doug Elmendorf. Full list below at end of post.

This thread will be similar to my other threads in which I chase a topic hoping to gain a little insight, or at least a little argument. Please feel free to provide either.

1. Ben Bernanke, Federal Reserve
2. Director Peter Orszag, Office of Management and Budget
3. Rudolph Penner, The Urban Institute
4. Robert Reischauer, frm. Congressional Budget Office
5. Carmen Reinhart, Professor, University of Maryland
6. Carlo Cottarell, International Monetary Fund
7. Doug Elmendorf, Director, Congressional Budget Office
8. Public Forum featuring nearly 90 groups and individuals
9. Maya MacGuineas, Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget
10. Barry Anderson, fmr. Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
11. Paul Posner, George Mason University
12. Janet S. Laurent, Government Accountability Office
13. Patricia Dalton; Government Accountability Office

This thread will be similar to my other threads in which I chase a topic hoping to gain a little insight,

a liberal will be dumb because he is disorganized. You are the perfect example!!. You lack the IQ to know the basic difference between a liberal and conservative so you lack the background to contribute here about the budget or anything else.

Why not go away until you're read up a little?? Do you want to be a brain dead liberal all you life??

This thread will be similar to my other threads in which I chase a topic hoping to gain a little insight,

a liberal will be dumb because he is disorganized. You are the perfect example!!. You lack the IQ to know the basic difference between a liberal and conservative so you lack the background to contribute here about the budget or anything else.

Why not go away until you're read up a little?? Do you want to be a brain dead liberal all you life??

I was hoping you would tutor me. Lay some sage wisdom on me brother.

Libertarians since Aristotle have been for freedom from liberal government. Can you put into words what you have against freedom?

Libertarians since Aristotle have been for freedom from liberal government. Can you put into words what you have against freedom?

Freedom is highly over rated. Once you are truly free you long to belong.

I took the 2013 White House budget,
E-Book | The White House
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d43CRg1GwhUfZlA&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dmQ&cad=rja
and put each department listed, total budget, and the amount changed over 2012 budget. I left out all other information which might be important but how would I know. I will try to find the numbers in the House budget so a comparison can be made. The sum of all departments listed is $1269.349B or about $1.27Tor $1.27 x 10^12
(for the those who know my document program kept crashing so I did this in gvim :))

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
$23B, -3%, -$700

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
$8B, +5%, +$380M

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
$525.4B, -1%, -$5.1B
achieve $486.9 billion in savings by 2021.

NATIONAL INTELLIGENCE PROGRAM
$52.6B

OVERSEAS CONTINGENCY OPERATIONS
$96.7B, -24%

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION
$69.8B, +2.5 percent, +$1.7B

DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
$27.2B, +3.2

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
$76.4B, +$0.3 billion

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
$39.5B, -0.5%, -$191M

DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
$44.8B, +3.2%, +$1.4B

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
$11.4B, +1%

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
$27.1B, -0.4%

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
$12B, -slight

DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
$51.6B, +1.6%, +$0.8B

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
$74B, +2%, +$1.4 billion

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
$14B, -2.7%

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
$64B, +4.5

CORPS OF ENGINEERS—CIVIL WORKS
$4.7B, -5.4%

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
$8.3B, -1.2%, -$105M

NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
$17.7B, -0.3 percent, -$59M

NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
$7.4B, +$340M

SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
$949M, +3%, +$32M

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
$11.7B, +slight

CORPORATION FOR NATIONAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
$1.1B, +1%

so the libturd dislikes freedom because it makes people feel lonely?????? Why would one be lonely with a God spouse kids relatives friends heros charities colleagues, neighbors, etc etc.

see why we are 110% positive a liberal will slow, so very very slow!!

Now can you admit as a liberal that you lack the IQ to be here?? Sorry, but if liberals had any integrity at all they would not dare comment here. Right??

Liberalism is so pathetic that conservatives find themselves in the position of shouting that the emperor has no clothes on. Certainly our Founders would think us near our doom when we have gotten to a point where liberals are very powerful.

Last edited:

so the libturd dislikes freedom because it makes people feel lonely?????? Why would one be lonely with a God spouse kids relatives friends heros charities colleagues, neighbors, etc etc.

Now can you admit as a liberal that you lack the IQ to be here?? Sorry, but if liberals had any integrity at all they would not dare comment here. Right??

Liberalism is so pathetic that conservatives find themselves in the position of shouting that the emperor has no clothes on. Certainly our Founders would think us near our doom when we have gotten to a point where liberals are very powerful.

I must say your swell comments are really increasing my Call of Duty kill streak right about now.

I must say your swell comments are really increasing my Call of Duty kill streak right about now.

can you imagine that all liberals are as intelligent about politics as you are??? Its a fact. Show me if ever you find a libturd making an intelligent argument.

You want to kill me for doing my patriotic democratic duty?????

can you imagine that all liberals are as intelligent about politics as you are??? Its a fact. Show me if ever you find a libturd making an intelligent argument.

Who me? :eusa_whistle:

Attachments

• $kill_bill.jpg
    $kill_bill.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 89

Who me?

well if liberals are slow, not intelligent or persuasive shall we say how can they get their way if not with violence? They have no other options. Liberal violence is a function of liberal ignorance. Sorry!!

Who me?

well if liberals are slow, not intelligent or persuasive shall we say how can they get their way if not with violence? They have no other options. Liberal violence is a function of liberal ignorance. Sorry!!

If liberals know violence I must not be a good liberal. I just got ground to a pulp. Just can't match these kid's reflects, that and I haven't put in the thousand(s) hours they have. I just started playing and I am going to have to give up all my play time soon. Now back to that Ryan budget.

I indeed must not be that intelligent. I don't understand what the House's 2013 budget even says. I think is is basically summed up in these two charts. For a budget this thing doesn't seem to have very many numbers in it. It is mostly a statement of intent. That's all well and good but it doesn't make a budget. I will do an analysis next post unless someone, who I will not name, distracts me.

Attachments

• $ryan_s3.png
    $ryan_s3.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 57
  • $ryan_s4.png
    $ryan_s4.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 51

What is your point? You have a habit of immediately ruining threads by repeating the same bullshit about liberals. I myself disagree with democrats (not that I agree with republicans) and I disagree with them on the fundamentals. What I understand that you don't is that you can convince someone to change their mind if you are polite and patient. If you troll around looking for a fight what is the point? Neither one of you are listening. It makes no sense and is such a waste of time.

What is your point? You have a habit of immediately ruining threads by repeating the same bullshit about liberals. I myself disagree with democrats (not that I agree with republicans) and I disagree with them on the fundamentals. What I understand that you don't is that you can convince someone to change their mind if you are polite and patient. If you troll around looking for a fight what is the point? Neither one of you are listening. It makes no sense and is such a waste of time.

It's Friday night. Let him have his fun. I don't mind none.

There is a problem with evaluating the House's budget. For example it lists 'Global War on Terrorism' at $51B. There is no such item in the budget as the 'Global War on Terrorism'. Without a breakout to each department of the government the document is meaningless.

These are the executive departments of the federal government. I can't find where these departments are referenced in the House's budget. Is there another document somewhere?
Federal Executive Branch | USA.gov
Executive Departments

Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Department of Commerce (DOC)
Department of Defense (DOD)
Department of Education (ED)
Department of Energy (DOE)
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Department of Justice (DOJ)
Department of Labor (DOL)
Department of State (DOS)
Department of the Interior (DOI)
Department of the Treasury
Department of Transportation (DOT)
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

These are the executive departments of the federal government. I can't find where these departments are referenced in the House's budget. Is there another document somewhere?
Federal Executive Branch | USA.gov
Executive Departments

Department of Agriculture (USDA)
Department of Commerce (DOC)
Department of Defense (DOD)
Department of Education (ED)
Department of Energy (DOE)
Department of Health and Human Services (HHS)
Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD)
Department of Justice (DOJ)
Department of Labor (DOL)
Department of State (DOS)
Department of the Interior (DOI)
Department of the Treasury
Department of Transportation (DOT)
Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

I've always had trouble finding NUMBERS when I am looking for a budget. The government is pretty good at hiding them. It wasn't always this way either.

I took the 2013 White House budget,
E-Book | The White House
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...d43CRg1GwhUfZlA&bvm=bv.41524429,d.dmQ&cad=rja
and put each department listed, total budget, and the amount changed over 2012 budget. I left out all other information which might be important but how would I know. I will try to find the numbers in the House budget so a comparison can be made. The sum of all departments listed is $1269.349B or about $1.27Tor $1.27 x 10^12
(for the those who know my document program kept crashing so I did this in gvim :))

DEPARTMENT OF AGRICULTURE
$23B, -3%, -$700

DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE
$8B, +5%, +$380M

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
$525.4B, -1%, -$5.1B

$52.6B

$96.7B, -24%

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

DEPARTMENT OF ENERGY
$27.2B, +3.2

DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES
$76.4B, +$0.3 billion

DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY
$39.5B, -0.5%, -$191M

DEPARTMENT OF HOUSING AND URBAN DEVELOPMENT
$44.8B, +3.2%, +$1.4B

DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR
$11.4B, +1%

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
$27.1B, -0.4%

DEPARTMENT OF LABOR
$12B, -slight

DEPARTMENT OF STATE AND OTHER INTERNATIONAL PROGRAMS
$51.6B, +1.6%, +$0.8B

DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION
$74B, +2%, +$1.4 billion

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY
$14B, -2.7%

DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS AFFAIRS
$64B, +4.5

CORPS OF ENGINEERS—CIVIL WORKS
$4.7B, -5.4%

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
$8.3B, -1.2%, -$105M

NATIONAL AERONAUTICS AND SPACE ADMINISTRATION
$17.7B, -0.3 percent, -$59M

NATIONAL SCIENCE FOUNDATION
$7.4B, +$340M

SMALL BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION
$949M, +3%, +$32M

SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
$11.7B, +slight

CORPORATION FOR NATIONAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
$1.1B, +1%

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE
$525.4B, -1%, -$5.1B

$52.6B

$96.7B, -24%

DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION

Looking at this is disturbing, I mean most of it I find disturbing but this section in particular. All that money spent on war is so crazy, what a waste. I think that public education should be switched over to a voucher system but then triple the education budget.

I like that "OVERSEAS CONTINGENCY OPERATIONS"

How to create a budget.

Let's say you have $1.00 (keeping it simple). That is what you earned this week. You earn a total of $4.00 a month. (here again, keeping it simple.)

Your monthly bills are as follows:

Car payment: $0.20
House payment: $1.00
Utilities: $0.40
Routine bills: $0.60
Health insurance: $0.35

Total expenses: $2.55 per month

Excess cash: $1.45

Save $1.00 per month.

This leaves you with $0.45 per month.

Might as well get married and have 3 or 4 kids.

Forum List

Back