How To Cook Steak?

I bought two gorgeous steaks for the Big Dinner this weekend, and I have no BBQ. Can I fry them? Bake them? Do I put them in baking bags?

Thankies, folks.

Broil them in your oven.

Your oven did come with broiling pan did it not? Surely your oven has a broiling option, too, right?

Broiling is, FYI, is just another word for grilling them in an oven.

If you like the taste of charcoal, there's even stuff you can buy to give an oven broiled steak to give it that charcoal flavored taste, too (I don't recommend it)

Yes, totally BROIL in a broiler pan. Preheat broiler( 15 minutes ) and if those steaks are an inch or more thick, place them just about 4 inches from broiler, for about 7 minutes on the first side, then flip for about 5 minutes. Stick a fork in lightly to check for desired doneness. The above is for medium rare. Don't forget to slather on the garlic salt ( Lawry's coarse ground ) ( unless you don't like garlic ) and do some pepper. Nothing else. Mouth-watering steaks. I wish I knew which cut you bought. Some can spatter. ( Ribeye ) I like the flavor of T-Bones best. Also NY cut or fillets.

Bon appetit, *baby!* :)

:eek::eek::eek: One does not stick a fork in steak to test for doneness..Bye bye juice. One presses down slightly in the middle of the steak with their finger to see how much "give" it has.

Broil them in your oven.

Your oven did come with broiling pan did it not? Surely your oven has a broiling option, too, right?

If you like the taste of charcoal, there's even stuff you can buy to give an oven broiled steak to give it that charcoal flavored taste, too (I don't recommend it)

Yes, totally BROIL in a broiler pan. Preheat broiler( 15 minutes ) and if those steaks are an inch or more thick, place them just about 4 inches from broiler, for about 7 minutes on the first side, then flip for about 5 minutes. Stick a fork in lightly to check for desired doneness. The above is for medium rare. Don't forget to slather on the garlic salt ( Lawry's coarse ground ) ( unless you don't like garlic ) and do some pepper. Nothing else. Mouth-watering steaks. I wish I knew which cut you bought. Some can spatter. ( Ribeye ) I like the flavor of T-Bones best. Also NY cut or fillets.

:eek::eek::eek: One does not stick a fork in steak to test for doneness..Bye bye juice. One presses down slightly in the middle of the steak with their finger to see how much "give" it has.

Damn purist!

Damn purist!

Well, hell.. If you're going to pay that much for a good cut of beef, why would you abuse it?

well done filet ..damn paulie..that is simply too embaressing to address on a message board...

grill the damned steaks..we grill in the snow....now i like my steak medium rare....alt likes her steak tossed on the grill...turned over quickly and bleeding all over the plate...no one eats their steak more than medium and we frown on that

use a beer or wine marinade...

Bones, well done filet is still like eating a piece of butter. It still melts in your mouth.

I don't eat rare meat. I can stomach medium, though.

The animal's blood doesn't pique my hunger, I guess.

The red stuff (jus) that comes off a cooked steak isn't blood.

Not that you have to like it, just that its not blood.

If it was blood it would be coagulated.

well done filet ..damn paulie..that is simply too embaressing to address on a message board...

grill the damned steaks..we grill in the snow....now i like my steak medium rare....alt likes her steak tossed on the grill...turned over quickly and bleeding all over the plate...no one eats their steak more than medium and we frown on that

use a beer or wine marinade...

Bones, well done filet is still like eating a piece of butter. It still melts in your mouth.

I don't eat rare meat. I can stomach medium, though.

The animal's blood doesn't pique my hunger, I guess.

The red stuff (jus) that comes off a cooked steak isn't blood.

Not that you have to like it, just that its not blood.

If it was blood it would be coagulated.

My mother used that one when I was a child.

It hasn't worked yet :D

If you want to get technical about myoglobins and oxygen and red blood cells, we could.

Last edited:
Pre-heated the oven to 50 degrees, and fried the steaks, slathered in butter, for a few minutes each side, then baked them for like 10 minutes.

Delicious! Thankies, everyone!

frankly using anything but salt and pepper ruins the taste inho, unless you get choice or lower,where you need to add taste, if you are going to add a bunch of seasoning etc. then don't waste your money on prime.... be careful Safeways etc. tell you its prime, but it aint.

best place I ever found to order meat....

Buy steaks! Order USDA Prime beef online by Allen Brothers

Before noon, I'll take the steaks out and press sea salt onto both sides, cover and refrigerate until I'm ready to take them out of the grill. The sea salt has to be fairly big chunks. As it sits for several hours, the chunks dissolve into the steak. It's fantastic when done.

I've been to Peter Luger's. It was awesome.

bingo, I use sea salt too....but I don't fridge them, I think the warm air allows the meat to open up and accept the salt more thoroughly......then I lock it in by searing them.

If the meat is tender & almost falling apart before you cook them then medium-rare is good. If they are firm like sirloin then you might as well cook them medium-well. Fillet Mignon, Rib-eye, Porterhouse, New York Strip & T-Bone are best medium-rare coated with soy sauce & pink in the middle. You could easily poke your finger through those cuts raw. Below is a list of steak in order from best to worst.

This is Heavy Marbled Kobe Ribeye Raw - Serve it Medium-Rare Like the Fillet Mignon above
217496594.jpg

I have tried Kobe (Wagyu) steaks....frankly they are just too much flavor, marbling is fine but the taste gets.....cloying(?)....a great prime Bone In ribeye is just right in my humble opinion. A full 2 inches thick.

you people buy steaks? Hmmm, Must suck.

and for the record, Dry aging and then grilling to a medium rare is the ONLY way to go for maximum flavor. If a steaks internal temperature rises to above 130 degrees, congratulations you have just cooked dog food.

Broil them in your oven.

The more resistance, the more done.
It should give nicely after initial resistance. Use the back of the fork.

If the meat is tender & almost falling apart before you cook them then medium-rare is good. If they are firm like sirloin then you might as well cook them medium-well. Fillet Mignon, Rib-eye, Porterhouse, New York Strip & T-Bone are best medium-rare coated with soy sauce & pink in the middle. You could easily poke your finger through those cuts raw. Below is a list of steak in order from best to worst.

This is Heavy Marbled Kobe Ribeye Raw - Serve it Medium-Rare Like the Fillet Mignon above
217496594.jpg

I have tried Kobe (Wagyu) steaks....frankly they are just too much flavor, marbling is fine but the taste gets.....cloying(?)....a great prime Bone In ribeye is just right in my humble opinion. A full 2 inches thick.

I still want to try Kobe. If somebody else pays for it. I don't mind flavor. I don't like hard fat, gristle or great big chunks of fat...I own't eat them. I can handle it in small increments. Bone in ribeyes tend to have hard fat and soft fat, and the cooking of a bone-in is too uneven. The outside will be completely overdone while that next to the bone is raw, and that drives me crazy. Plus the hard fat rind that doesn't soften up...though a full 2 inches thick might get rid of that particular problem. I try to get at least 3/4".

My sister makes rib roast every year for Christmas and it is killer. I've never quite mastered that either.

Forum List

Back