how to choose. Marines or Army

bschu14

Rookie
May 29, 2011
So this is my first post here and I have been checking out this site for a while and love it, Very informed people, some not so much, But for the most part you get a straight answer.

ANYWAYS,
I have wanted to join the military all of my life, its kinda a family thing. but i have family in every branch and doing everything imaginable.

Heres my question,
It seems that the marines and army are very similar, of course i know the armys bigger and that the marines are a more amphibous infantry but how does one choose between the two. whats the big factor that sets the marines apart from the infantry, to me they seem so similar

Part two,
I have always been kinda a rough guy, i dont mind a fight and i certainly hold my own.
how do i know weather the army or the marines are better for ME... not in general

Thanks to everyone
-BS

Go Coast guard. (If you think you are trying to join a branch because you can"certainly hold your own" you are going in for the wrong reasons.) Just my 20 year mlitary career 2 cents worth. Good luck young one.

Join the Revolutionary Guard of the American Islamic Revolution under the command of His Holiness, the First Shah of the United States, Barrack Hussein Obama :thup:

Last edited:
So this is my first post here and I have been checking out this site for a while and love it, Very informed people, some not so much, But for the most part you get a straight answer.

ANYWAYS,
I have wanted to join the military all of my life, its kinda a family thing. but i have family in every branch and doing everything imaginable.

Heres my question,
It seems that the marines and army are very similar, of course i know the armys bigger and that the marines are a more amphibous infantry but how does one choose between the two. whats the big factor that sets the marines apart from the infantry, to me they seem so similar

Part two,
I have always been kinda a rough guy, i dont mind a fight and i certainly hold my own.
how do i know weather the army or the marines are better for ME... not in general

Thanks to everyone
-BS

There is nothing similar about the Marines or Army. They both hold a completly different culture. No matter what job you choose in the marines you must go to MCT before you go to your MOS school to learn the basics of infantry style combat. So not only do you go to 13 weeks of Boot Camp (Compared to the Army's 9) but you also get 4 weeks of combat training at MCT (Which the Army does not do) (8 weeks if your infantry) and then your MOS school. Then there are the sustainment requirements. The Marines have a harder physical fitness test with an extra mile on the run (Marines 3 miles / Army 2 miles) and an additionally required bi annual field physical fitness test which some dread more than the bi annual pft. In addition, the marine marksmanship standards (up to 500 yards and 4 fireing positions, with the kd course and 2 field fireing course of fire) are WAY harder than that of the Army ( supported position with targets up to 300 yards away) and you must take a yearly swim qual (which the army does not do). Furthermore, if you do not advance in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program it seriously hinders you ability to get promoted. Whereas the army has no such program requirement. Moreover the culture is much different! The Marines dont advertise benefits, job skills, and college, because it only wants people that want to be there for no other reason but to serve their country as a United States Marine. This is evident in the Commercials you hear on the radio, bilboards, tv, posters, etc. Whereas the Army advertises military benefits. Then theres the deployments. The Marines get all of the hot places in Afghanistan and Iraq. I could go on forever but the marines have a coultre of killing and the Army has a culture centerd around ensuring the comfort of the service member. But you must choose for yourself. If youwant to join to serve in combat as I did then more power to ya!

The difference is from day one! The Army lacks motovation and intensity

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TlXlo1YUQ]YouTube - ‪Marine Corps Receiving Vs Army Reception‬‏[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

ANYWAYS,

Heres my question,

Part two,

Thanks to everyone
-BS

There is nothing similar about the Marines or Army. They both hold a completly different culture. No matter what job you choose in the marines you must go to MCT before you go to your MOS school to learn the basics of infantry style combat. So not only do you go to 13 weeks of Boot Camp (Compared to the Army's 9) but you also get 4 weeks of combat training at MCT (Which the Army does not do) (8 weeks if your infantry) and then your MOS school Then there are the sustainment requirements. The Marines have a harder physical fitness test with an extra mile on the run (Marines 3 miles / Army 2 miles) and an additionally required bi annual field physical fitness test which some dread more than the bi annual pft. In addition, the marine marksmanship standards (up to 500 yards and 4 fireing positions, with the kd course and 2 field fireing course of fire) are WAY higher than that of the Army ( supported position with targets up to 300 yards away) and you must take a yearly swim qual (which the army does not do). Furthermore, if you do not advance in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program it seriously hinders you ability to get promoted. Whereas the army has no such program requirement. Moreover the culture is much different! The Marines dont advertise benefits, job skills, and college, because it only wants people that want to be there for no other reason but to serve their country as a United States Marine. This is evident in the Commercials you hear on the radio, bilboards, tv, posters, etc. Whereas the Army advertises military benefits. Then theres the deployments. The Marines get all of the hot places in Afghanistan and Iraq. I could go on forever but the marines have a coultre of killing and the Army has a culture centerd around ensuring the comfort of the service member. But you must choose for yourself. If youwant to join to serve in combat as I did then more power to ya!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_TlXlo1YUQ]YouTube - ‪Marine Corps Receiving Vs Army Reception‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qthj9pUnWAU&feature=related]YouTube - ‪US Marine Corps Drill Instructor vs US Army Drill Sergeant‬‏[/ame]

I agree with what you said but your vid sucked. Come on, marine induction center vs. female army induction center? Really? Come on.

Oh and again, join the damn Coast guard. They have the highest Asvab requirements for a reason. Coastie or Air force is the way to go.

Rank advancement is slower in the Marinrs then the Army

Thats because of a number of things. Mainly the retention rate is higher so Marines exit at a slower rate than the Army. This helps ensure that the fella that is your boss in combat actually knows his shit and isnt just a guy who holds a rank that needed to be filled because of a loss of man power and they had no one else more qualified to give it to.

ANYWAYS,

Heres my question,

Part two,

Thanks to everyone
-BS

There is nothing similar about the Marines or Army. They both hold a completly different culture. No matter what job you choose in the marines you must go to MCT before you go to your MOS school to learn the basics of infantry style combat. So not only do you go to 13 weeks of Boot Camp (Compared to the Army's 9) but you also get 4 weeks of combat training at MCT (Which the Army does not do) (8 weeks if your infantry) and then your MOS school Then there are the sustainment requirements. The Marines have a harder physical fitness test with an extra mile on the run (Marines 3 miles / Army 2 miles) and an additionally required bi annual field physical fitness test which some dread more than the bi annual pft. In addition, the marine marksmanship standards (up to 500 yards and 4 fireing positions, with the kd course and 2 field fireing course of fire) are WAY higher than that of the Army ( supported position with targets up to 300 yards away) and you must take a yearly swim qual (which the army does not do). Furthermore, if you do not advance in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Program it seriously hinders you ability to get promoted. Whereas the army has no such program requirement. Moreover the culture is much different! The Marines dont advertise benefits, job skills, and college, because it only wants people that want to be there for no other reason but to serve their country as a United States Marine. This is evident in the Commercials you hear on the radio, bilboards, tv, posters, etc. Whereas the Army advertises military benefits. Then theres the deployments. The Marines get all of the hot places in Afghanistan and Iraq. I could go on forever but the marines have a coultre of killing and the Army has a culture centerd around ensuring the comfort of the service member. But you must choose for yourself. If youwant to join to serve in combat as I did then more power to ya! But it really comes down to what kind of job you want to do. So what jobs are you looking at?

I agree with what you said but your vid sucked. Come on, marine induction center vs. female army induction center? Really? Come on.

Thats not a female induction center. In the Army they have both male and female drill sergeants no matter what the gender of your platoon. In many forts the army has bi gender platoons. They do this by putting them on different floors of the barraks.

This is fort benning Ga where the army trains its infantry. Notice the female drill sergeant.

Last edited by a moderator:

ANYWAYS,

Heres my question,

Part two,

Thanks to everyone
-BS

What do you want to do after you get out of the military and do you already have a job skill that will provide for you after the military? If you're joining out of patriotism or to learn a job skill determines a lot.

Talk to a recruiter. Not to take anything away from the greatest Military on the planet I'm biased toward Marines. If you can make it through Boot Camp you join a unique club. Even old farts like me still greet other former Marines with "Semper Fi".

thats another part of why i want to join the military, i dont honestly know what i want to do as a career. i have nothing set in stone. im only 18

and im afraid that if i dont join then later on in life ill regret never doing it.

thats another part of why i want to join the military, i dont honestly know what i want to do as a career. i have nothing set in stone. im only 18

and im afraid that if i dont join then later on in life ill regret never doing it.

What job would you like to do? What questions do you have? Ive served in both so fire away.

Last edited:

Entering any career, especially the military, shouldn't be because 'I didn't know what else to do'. While you could find a purpose in the process, there's also the possibility you could come to learn there was a reason you felt no real desire you went the route you did and that it's not a direction for which you are suited.

ANYWAYS,

Heres my question,

Part two,

Thanks to everyone
-BS
If you're gay and want to fight......Join the MARINES..........Always remember, there may be times when you may spend days, weeks, months on end holed up on a ship witha bunch dudes, where a whole lotta male to male grab ass is goin' on.....That's the NAVY way......The MARINES are NAVY, no getting around it!

If you're straight and want to fight, join the ARMY.....Much more access to hot wet pussy.

But seriously, it all depends on what you're looking for...Talk to a recruiter. Talk to those who have served.....And always remember, if ya' really want to go bad ass, and be a part of the finest, go ARMY, and then go RANGER......Ain't a MARINE on this planet who can kick a RANGERS ass.......It's why selected MARINES are sent to RANGER school......They've got nothing that compares.........NOTHING!

:cool:

Last edited:

ANYWAYS,

Heres my question,

Part two,

Thanks to everyone
-BS
If you're gay and want to fight......Join the MARINES..........Always remember, there may be times when you may spend days, weeks, months on end holed up on a ship witha bunch dudes, where a whole lotta male to male grab ass is goin' on.....That's the NAVY way......The MARINES are NAVY, no getting around it!

If you're straight and want to fight, join the ARMY.....Much more access to hot wet pussy.

But seriously, it all depends on what you're looking for...Talk to a recruiter. Talk to those who have served.....And always remember, if ya' really want to go bad ass, and be a part of the finest, go ARMY, and then go RANGER......Ain't a MARINE on this planet who can kick a RANGERS ass.......It's why selected MARINES are sent to RANGER school......They've got nothing that compares.........NOTHING!

We sent our grunts to ranger school as an end of first enlistment reward to 2 guys who werent reinlisting. They wanted to have some fun. And school seats are limited. Thats why they are "selected". Plus we send our grunts to Infantry squad leaders course and have little need for Ranger School. As far as the "Navy Way" BS I refuse to respond to such nonsense. Judge the infantry of the Marines vs the infantry in the Army by the areas they get deployed to. The larger the risk and the thougher the mission the more likely they will send Marines. And I've served in both services.

Last edited:

ANYWAYS,

Heres my question,

Part two,

Thanks to everyone
-BS

Just a touch biased aren't we......... :eusa_whistle:
:lol:

Forum List

Back