How to block the ads on this website.

Ghostery is another one that works really well.
blocks ads, pop ups and data mining apps that try to slip in through the net. You can control which ones are allowed or not.

Does anyone ever click on any of those ads, ever? Does anyone ever visit those ad sites at a later time because they saw them advertised on their favorite messageboard?

I don't. I avoid those ad sites.

Maybe if they all went like PBS: "this site is made available to you by paid memberships and by our sponsors: '.....'site, '.....'R Us, '....'hub, and '.....' . Please support our sponsors by clicking on their link.

A little message that size at the top of each page would work fine.

Just click on a few ads once in a while; only a few people have ever ended up hospitalized for doing that.

Adblock and all the rest are using a feature built into Windows: the Hosts file. It is a simple text file of URL addresses (123.456.789.000) followed by website names (www.google.com). It functions as a local DNS server and it is the first thing any browser will check. If the URL listed for a website happens to be self (127.0.0.1), the attempt to link will fail immediately.

Go to <www.hphosts-file.net> The site maintains an extensive list of sources of ads and/or malware. There are detained instructions as to how to use the file. It is simply copied into a directory of Windows, though it requires admin approval. Read the instructions. I did it and the ads on this site absolutely disappeared and not one has ever come back. There is a minor speed enhancement as your machine is not spending time loading ads. Some sites have said "we see you are using AdBlock" and then attempted to convince me that AdBlock (ie, blocking ads) was risky, but that's bullshit. I have run into one site that refused to work for me because its ads were blocked. I suppose that's their right. But I wouldn't undo this for all the tea in China.

It would be far smarter to have a few ads on the board with people not using ad blockers, than to have the over whelming and aggressive ones we have and everyone blocks them. Advertisers know the number of searches and views on their ads.

On Firefox, having Adobe Flash active is crippling. Disabling Flash will do wonders for Firefox on any page. Go into add-ons, then plugins, then set Flash to "ask to activate".

Ad blockers are a mixed blessing. They blocks ads, but they eat a lot of CPU and memory. They may actually slow down a browser. I have a faster PC now, pages here load instantly (provided Flash is disabled), so I can leave the ads.

I was having an interesting Firefox issue when I visited Weather Underground. It kept switching to a page saying "Urgent Firefox Security Update!", with the Firefox logo, and asking to download a file. Very obviously malware, so I didn't bite. That whole site is down at the moment.

Why would a computer be slowed by an ad blocker? Wunderground is down for Chrome as well.

Forum List

Back