CDZ How to become a Lawyer Without a Diploma?

Jul 25, 2019
Becoming a lawyer without a bachelor's degree is possible. The route to access is full of pitfalls, but the goal is not impossible. With a lot of determination and motivation on your part, you can become a lawyer.

How to become a lawyer without a bachelor's degree?
The simple capacity in law gives the possibility to the non-graduates to access the studies of this matter. They can enroll in higher education and after a while, they can get a diploma equivalent to the baccalaureate, regardless of the degree they have provided they are over 17 years old. The training for obtaining this certificate lasts two years and the courses take place exclusively in the evening at the university. The student must then pass two exams at the end of each year of study to be able to enjoy his diploma. The courses focus mainly on law courses that include civil law, commercial law, administrative law, constitutional law, civil procedure, and enforcement, criminal law, criminal procedure, political economy,

What alternatives after this training?
Once the student obtains this ability in law, he has the choice between several options. He can first continue their studies at the 1st year law degree university or L1. If he has obtained an average of at least 15 out of 20 on the 1st and 2nd year exams of capacity, he has the opportunity to enter directly into the second year of a law degree. If he is not interested in any of these options, he can enter the first year of DUT Legal Careers or BTS in Notary. Or for the bravest, category B public service competitions are also waiting for them.

But to be able to join a regional training center for the legal profession, one must, after the acquisition of capacity in law, pursue studies in law degree. Once Bacc +3 is in your pocket, you have to continue your studies and enter the first year of a law degree. In the same way as students who have started university studies with a bachelor's degree, the holders of legal capacity can after the master pass the entrance examination to claim to become lawyers. In this sense, the Onisep says that 50 institutions in France present this training to allow students with no degree to still pursue their law studies. And for overseas residents, note that the University of Reunion, the University of the West Indies, the University of French Polynesia, the University of New Caledonia all have this training. And to motivate the majority, the trainers rely on the concrete example of Mr. Jean-Louis Debré, the current president of the Constitutional Council and former examining magistrate has followed this training before obtaining this place as he did not have a bachelor's degree

Be prepared for a trip to the twilight zone, or the spam bin!

I think there are only a couple states in the US that allow you to bypass law school. Virginia and Louisiana do. There may be a 3rd. I forget. It is something I see sporadically referenced every few years.

California does not require law school or even an undergraduate degree.

You can register to study by apprentice to a judge. At the end of your first year you have to take the baby bar Criminal Procedure, Contracts and Torts.
You have to pass that to continue. You still have to Take the bar.

You can register to study by apprentice to a judge. At the end of your first year you have to take the baby bar Criminal Procedure, Contracts and Torts.

They do require you have at least 60 college hours though. In Virginia, you can "read the law" which is more or less an apprenticeship but you have to have a bachelor's degree and your tutor lawyer has to meet some requirements. I think Louisiana is a bit more nebular. IIRC, you have to have worked in an area of law for a long period of time (I think 10 years IIRC) and you are limited to that area of practice upon admission to the bar, so it is more oriented toward law firm/court/prosecutor staff.

They do require you have at least 60 college hours though. In Virginia, you can "read the law" which is more or less an apprenticeship but you have to have a bachelor's degree and your tutor lawyer has to meet some requirements. I think Louisiana is a bit more nebular. IIRC, you have to have worked in an area of law for a long period of time (I think 10 years IIRC) and you are limited to that area of practice upon admission to the bar, so it is more oriented toward law firm/court/prosecutor staff.
Not in California. You don't need zip. Just a judge willing to file a performance review. We have such a wicked bar exam they figure that's enough.

New Topics

Forum List

Back