"How To Avoid Deportation" Brochure Distributed In San Diego Public Schools

Originally posted by Nate
Good lord José, you are a sad representation of the Mexican people. The reason Mexico is in the position it is in is because of quitters like you. Your country is rich in natural resources, agriculture, and land;

There are few white Americans today who cannot trace their origins back to the huge, massive european immigration waves of the 19th century, Nate.

How many of them followed the advice you now give to poor Mexicans??

"Don't be a quitter!! Stay in your country to build a better Ireland, a better Italy, a better Germany, a better Poland, etc, etc..."

They were for the most part legal immigrants but this is not the point being discussed here. Most members of this Board wouldn't even exist had their european ancestors followed the advice they now give to poor Mexicans.

Telling poor Mexicans to stay in their country to improve it is not only cruel, cold-hearted but also incredibly naive. Mexico is almost 200 years old now... Dozens of generations have remained there "trying to build a better country" to no avail. The country has gone through an awful lot of revolutions, uprisings, etc, etc...

As I said, tell Mexican garbage collectors, dishwashers and toilet-cleaners to stay in Mexico to improve the country is absolutely quixotesque, to say the least:

don-quixote-windmill.gif

1.jpg

gilling_windmills_1968_home.jpg

José;2794858 said:
Originally posted by Nate
Good lord José, you are a sad representation of the Mexican people. The reason Mexico is in the position it is in is because of quitters like you. Your country is rich in natural resources, agriculture, and land;

There are few white Americans today who cannot trace their origins back to the huge, massive european immigration waves of the 19th century, Nate.

How many of them followed the advice you now give to poor Mexicans??

"Don't be a quitter!! Stay in your country to build a better Ireland, a better Italy, a better Germany, a better Poland, etc, etc..."

They were for the most part legal immigrants but this is not the point being discussed here. Most members of this Board wouldn't even exist had their european ancestors followed the advice they now give to poor Mexicans.

My Daddy's family emigrated here from Scotland in the 1920's, Jose'. They had little money, but others from their village had come before so Grandpa was promised a job, and none of them were sick or had a criminal background. The land they lived on, and the trade they used to make a living, were caught up in an estate after the Lord who owned it died. Because the estate reacted by imposing almost 100% tax on wages, the workers were driven off the land...in short, they were refugees. If this upheveal had not occurred, they would not have come and I would not exist...but my folks would still be speaking Scottish Gaellic and our culture would be intact.

I cannot understand your POV myself. Mexico is a beautiful country, and I would imagine most Mexican parents would like for their kids to live in Mexico, among Mexicans, as Mexican citizens if only they could find a way to secure decent jobs and safety from crime. Your people stand to lose so much by moving to the US and assimilating...is that what you really think is best? (Assuming it was even possible.) What of the Mexican poor left behind?

I am more'n willing to work on solutions to bring Mexico back from the brink, and it is not even my country. Why aren't you?

t r u t h o u t | Small-Scale Farmers and Development: Assume a Different Economic Model

José;2794861 said:
Telling poor Mexicans to stay in their country to improve it is not only cruel, cold-hearted but also incredibly naive. Mexico is almost 200 years old now... Dozens of generations have remained there "trying to build a better country" to no avail. The country has gone through an awful lot of revolutions, uprisings, etc, etc...

And Mexico QUADRUPLED its population since 1950. Are you going to blame the people of the United States for something that is the sole responsibility of the Mexican people?

Are you going to let Latin Americans destroy yet another country to house their excess?

Originally posted by Madeline
My Daddy's family emigrated here from Scotland in the 1920's, Jose'. They had little money, but others from their village had come before so Grandpa was promised a job, and none of them were sick or had a criminal background. The land they lived on, and the trade they used to make a living, were caught up in an estate after the Lord who owned it died. Because the estate reacted by imposing almost 100% tax on wages, the workers were driven off the land...in short, they were refugees. If this upheveal had not occurred, they would not have come and I would not exist...but my folks would still be speaking Scottish Gaellic and our culture would be intact.

I cannot understand your POV myself. Mexico is a beautiful country, and I would imagine most Mexican parents would like for their kids to live in Mexico, among Mexicans, as Mexican citizens if only they could find a way to secure decent jobs and safety from crime. Your people stand to lose so much by moving to the US and assimilating...is that what you really think is best? (Assuming it was even possible.) What of the Mexican poor left behind?

I am more'n willing to work on solutions to bring Mexico back from the brink, and it is not even my country. Why aren't you?

Originally posted by Bullfighter
And Mexico QUADRUPLED its population since 1950. Are you going to blame the people of the United States for something that is the sole responsibility of the Mexican people?

Are you going to let Latin Americans destroy yet another country to house their excess?

I challenge you both to find a single post in which I denied America's right to expell illegal residents...

I'm also sympathetic to Madeline's brainstorming exercise to find ways to improve living conditions there.

All I'm saying here is the "stay in Mexico to help improve it" argument is not only cruel when directed at poor people but also incredibly naive, utopian when you consider Mexico's past.

José;2795066 I challenge you both to find a single post in which I denied America's right to expell illegal residents... I'm also sympathetic to Madeline's brainstorming exercise to find ways to improve living conditions there. All I'm saying here is the "[B said:
stay in Mexico to help improve it[/B]" argument is not only cruel when directed at poor people but also incredibly naive, utopian when you consider Mexico's past.

But don't expect everyone to visit your burrito cart when everyone has their own.

They have got to drop their ridiculous culture and step into the 21st century in order to survive.

And the solution to feeding mouths is not to create more mouths to feed.

Forum List

Back