How the Welsh founded America

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
I was told this while back but thought that I would check it out. I was in Bala today. Its beautiful, like the rest of Wales.

GO BRITANNIA! Wales: Welsh in the New World
During the early part of the 18th century, the Welsh language was a major tongue in the streets of Philadelphia, many of whose streets were laid out by such as Thomas Wynn of Caerwys, North Wales, personal physician to William Penn (his house Wynnewood remains standing, the first stone-built house in the state). Large tracts of land to the north and west of the city were given Welsh names: Uwchlyn, Bala Cynwyd, Bryn Mawr, Llanerch, Merion, St. David's, North Wales, Gwynedd, Treddyffryn, and so on -- all of which remain today in an area called "Main Line."

At the same time Welsh Anglicans were becoming prominent in Philadelphia. The Welsh Society of Philadelphia was begun in 1729, and thus it is the oldest ethnic society of its kind in the US. Since its founding, it has provided many men of distinction throughout the ensuing centuries, making their influence felt in politics, agriculture, and the administration of justice, as well as in industry, particularly mining and the manufacturing of iron and steel.

On a plaque mounted on the east facade of the imposing City Hall in Philadelphia, the following inscription is seen:

Perpetuating the Welsh heritage, and commemorating the vision and virtue of the following Welsh patriots in the founding of the City, Commonwealth, and Nation William Penn, 1644-1718, proclaimed freedom of religion and planned New Wales, later named Pennsylvania. Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826, third President of the United States, composed the Declaration of Independence. Robert Morris, 1734-1806, foremost financier of the American Revolution and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Gouverneur Morris, 1752-1816, wrote the final draft of the Constitution of the United States. John Marshall, 1755-1835, Chief Justice of the United States and father of American constitutional law.According to the Welsh Society of Philadelphia, 16 signers of the Declaration of Independence were of Welsh descent: George Clymer, Stephen Hopkins, Robert Morris, William Floyd, Francis Hopkinson, John Morton, Britton Gwinnett, Thomas Jefferson, John Penn, George Read, John Hewes, Francis Lewis, James Smith, Williams Hooper, Lewis Morris, and William Williams.

Wow. It’s like you’re admitting America was founded by white Christians and that we all benefit from the society they created.

Careful Tommy, you may get accused of glorifying white privilege.

yeah Welsh were very important at the founding of American and before America they were some of the first Colonists . Daniel Boone and lots of other explorers and Frontiers men were Welsh and Davy Crocket also . Lewis of Lewis and Clark was Welsh . At one time Jones [Welsh] and Smith [English] were the most common names in the USA or America according to lore or reality . Quite a few of the FOUNDERS and Authors and signers of Americas Founding Documents were Welsh . Captain of the Mayflower was Welsh as well as most or all of the colonists on board . Pretty impressive to me when one realizes the small amount of Welsh in Wales at the time . Disagreement , discussions , corrections and further info is appreciated .

i think that 'hilary' is Welsh and was dug up at birth in Scranton Pennsylvania which is an American town full of many people of Welsh Heritage .

I was told this while back but thought that I would check it out. I was in Bala today. Its beautiful, like the rest of Wales.

During the early part of the 18th century, the Welsh language was a major tongue in the streets of Philadelphia, many of whose streets were laid out by such as Thomas Wynn of Caerwys, North Wales, personal physician to William Penn (his house Wynnewood remains standing, the first stone-built house in the state). Large tracts of land to the north and west of the city were given Welsh names: Uwchlyn, Bala Cynwyd, Bryn Mawr, Llanerch, Merion, St. David's, North Wales, Gwynedd, Treddyffryn, and so on -- all of which remain today in an area called "Main Line."

At the same time Welsh Anglicans were becoming prominent in Philadelphia. The Welsh Society of Philadelphia was begun in 1729, and thus it is the oldest ethnic society of its kind in the US. Since its founding, it has provided many men of distinction throughout the ensuing centuries, making their influence felt in politics, agriculture, and the administration of justice, as well as in industry, particularly mining and the manufacturing of iron and steel.

On a plaque mounted on the east facade of the imposing City Hall in Philadelphia, the following inscription is seen:

Perpetuating the Welsh heritage, and commemorating the vision and virtue of the following Welsh patriots in the founding of the City, Commonwealth, and Nation William Penn, 1644-1718, proclaimed freedom of religion and planned New Wales, later named Pennsylvania. Thomas Jefferson, 1743-1826, third President of the United States, composed the Declaration of Independence. Robert Morris, 1734-1806, foremost financier of the American Revolution and signer of the Declaration of Independence. Gouverneur Morris, 1752-1816, wrote the final draft of the Constitution of the United States. John Marshall, 1755-1835, Chief Justice of the United States and father of American constitutional law.According to the Welsh Society of Philadelphia, 16 signers of the Declaration of Independence were of Welsh descent: George Clymer, Stephen Hopkins, Robert Morris, William Floyd, Francis Hopkinson, John Morton, Britton Gwinnett, Thomas Jefferson, John Penn, George Read, John Hewes, Francis Lewis, James Smith, Williams Hooper, Lewis Morris, and William Williams.

Indeed, I grew up in close proximity to the "Welsh Tract". I know these names well.

>> As suburbanization spread westward from Philadelphia in the late 19th century (thanks to the railroads), living in a community with a Welsh name acquired a cachet. Some communities in the area formerly comprising the Welsh Tract were subsequently given Welsh or Welsh-sounding names to improve their perceived desirability. Among these were Gladwyne, formerly "Merion Square" (which was given its new name in 1891, although the name is meaningless in Welsh), and Bryn Mawr, formerly "Humphreysville" (which was renamed in 1869).

.... The area is now part of Montgomery, Chester, and Delaware counties. Many towns in the area still bear Welsh names. Some, such as North Wales, Lower Gwynedd, Lower Merion, Upper Merion, Narberth, Bala Cynwyd, Radnor, and Haverford Township, are named after places in Wales. Others, such as Tredyffrin, Uwchlan, and Berwyn have independent Welsh names.

A second "Welsh Tract" of 30,000 acres (120 km2) was granted to Welsh emigrants by William Penn in 1701. It included what is now Pencader Hundred, Delaware, and a part of Cecil County, Maryland.[citation needed] <<​

Bryn Mawr = "big hill" (hill big). Bryn Athyn is not far although not mentioned here.

Wow. It’s like you’re admitting America was founded by white Christians and that we all benefit from the society they created.

Careful Tommy, you may get accused of glorifying white privilege.

What a bizzaro stretch. :cuckoo:

Imperialist colonialist bastard!

Apparently the Welsh had a thriving economy with farming and the coal mines. What would have convinced them to leave a beautiful countryside that their ancestors settled for a thousand years and take the hazardous journey across the ocean with few possessions and settle in a savage new world?

Welsh - Cornish , same thing i think but the Cornish were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as miners . They were Iron ore miners in underound mines around Ispeming and Negaunee and before the open pit mines . They were famous and still are for their PASTY which was a meat pie of potatoes , carrots , onion , beef or meat and different variations depending on what was around and all wrapped in a flour pie crust of sorts . Story goes that they heated the PASTY on a shovel over a candle for lunch as they were underground waiting for lunch . And the pasty is still famous .

Apparently the Welsh had a thriving economy with farming and the coal mines. What would have convinced them to leave a beautiful countryside that their ancestors settled for a thousand years and take the hazardous journey across the ocean with few possessions and settle in a savage new world?

You made fun of Poles for losing their country 3 vs 1 well Wales lost their country 1 vs 1 against Romans then Germanic tribes untill modern Anglos ruled over them for close to 1000 years.

Welsh - Cornish , same thing i think but the Cornish were in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan as miners . They were Iron ore miners in underound mines around Ispeming and Negaunee and before the open pit mines . They were famous and still are for their PASTY which was a meat pie of potatoes , carrots , onion , beef or meat and different variations depending on what was around and all wrapped in a flour pie crust of sorts . Story goes that they heated the PASTY on a shovel over a candle for lunch as they were underground waiting for lunch . And the pasty is still famous .

Welsh are the biggest byatches in Europe.

Just look at Tommy & then at thousands of years of no Welsh nation.

i think that 'hilary' is Welsh and was dug up at birth in Scranton Pennsylvania which is an American town full of many people of Welsh Heritage .

How great it is that Hillary was Welsh, and better yet Abraham Lincoln & Jefferson Davis both had a Welsh heritage, two maniacs who killed 600,000 + Americans.

Jefferson Davis, Benedict Arnold, Jim Jones, JP Morgan, Jesse James, and Hillary Clinton all had signifcant Welsh ancestry, while Abraham Lincoln, W. Bush, Obama, and Dick Cheney all had some Welsh ancestry.

Wow, the Welsh really are grand "Americana" as "American as Apple Pie"

hey , i am American so i am elevated above YOU 'polocks' as an American Sob !! I know a little bit about the Welsh , the 'polocks' , English , Russians , the Finnish , Italians the Chippewa , and Swedes but ' I ' am an American and as such i am part of the best and Greatest race of men and Nation that the world has ever seen Sob . Course the Welsh did a good job of helping to form this Greatest Nation of America from its very beginnings and thats all i responding to in Tommys post Sob . --------------------- now do your job and clean that toilet Sob !!

hey , i am American so i am elevated above YOU 'polocks' as an American Sob !! I know a little bit about the Welsh , the 'polocks' , English , Russians , the Finnish , Italians the Chippewa , and Swedes but ' I ' am an American and as such i am part of the best race of men and Nation that the world has ever seen Sob . Course the Welsh did a good job of helping to form this Greatest Nation of America from its very beginnings and thats all i responding to in Tommys post Sob . --------------------- now do your job clean that toilet Sob !!

America's a FAKE nation, there's no real American ethnic heritage.
It's a mish-mash of different groups, which is an INSULT to real people's heritages all over.

Welsh and Cornish are definitely NOT the same thing. Welsh is Wales, Cornish is Cornwall. Different regions. Both languages (along with Breton) are in the Brythonic or "P-Celtic" branch and to some extent mutually intelligible although Cornish has no speakers left.

It was a hard life in Wales.All the mines and ,pretty much all the land, was owned by the (English) gentry. Welsh children were punished for speaking Welsh in school and the US reprerented a fresh start.

There were religious aspects as well. Wales is non conformist or "Chapel" and England is Anglican or "Church". Non conformity is an integral part of Welshness.

A lot of Welsh people headed to Patagonia as well and there is still a thriving welsh community down there.

Patagonia: A 'Wales beyond Wales'

Forum List

Back