How the Homeschooling Movement Can Be the Catalyst for Freedom in America

The single biggest problem with homeschooling is that the kind of home life that would allow for homeschooling, i.e., a family with a single working parent and one stay at home parent, is fast going extinct.

A very large percentage of Americans have a hard enough time making ends meet on two incomes, much less being able to keep a parent at home to work with a child enough for that child to actually succeed at home schooling.

If you could "solve" that problem, which likely isn't possible short of offering government handouts to subsidize the "traditional" nuclear family approach, the other issue you face is that when home schooling works, students are very successful. Unfortunately, a very common trend is to see home schooled children dumped into public schools when it becomes clear the process is failing. At which point they're often a grade or two behind their peers in critical skills.

Teaching isn't an easy thing. I just do not get why everyone seems to insist that "anyone can teach."

Well after a long hiatus from this website while at school, I am back for spring break with nothing to do. For those of you who don’t know me I joined over my Christmas break on a mission to civilize the country I love from its often ignorant populace. I am still on that mission. I am a fiscal conservative with some socially liberal biases (gay rights, a secular government, abortion, etc.). Hey everyone. I look forward to the debates.
Perhaps home schooling is just as effective as public or private schooling, perhaps even more effective as far as test results go. Call me crazy, but I just can’t buy into the whole “He/She did well on a test so that means they are smart shtick.” Public schools provide kids with something they can’t get at home. They have friends, problems, tough choices to make and all of those things prepare you for the real world. I know parents want to protect their children, and I (knock on wood) do not have to worry about that just yet, but I can speak for my own experiences. You get your first kiss on the bus, you turn down your first joint on the playground (you smoke your first one there too), you deal with girls, bullies, teachers, other cultures and the list goes on. I personally feel that all homeschooling does is stave off a kids problems to a later point in their life where they are not as equipped to handle them as their public schooled counter-parts. It’s a selfish decision by the parents in an effort to maintain their children as the fleeting images they once knew. I am a college senior who was just accepted to Temple’s J.D. program so anyone who wants to hit me from the well what has public school done for you bore, try another angle.

At what point will this be as good or better than the usual home schooling?

BBC News - Today - Ethiopia children 'master tablet PCs'

But who decides what goes on the tablets. Our educators can't even make a National Recommended Reading List.

So what if a country like India makes a better tablet education system than the US but we can't implement such a system because teachers don't want it?

psik

Last edited:

Forum List

Back