How the GOP won the economic spin war: 3 theories

I thought he ran on ending the failed policies of George W Bush?
Obama's track record is that he spent with abandon. The deficit was within normal range for GDP until he took over.
usgs_line.php

The story line that Obama inherited an intractable mess is merely excuses for his failures in office.

Uhhh...Dude, the recession started in 2008 and hit the deficit hard in 2009. He inherited a 1.3 trillion yearly defecit. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Why do you keep on going with the rhetoric? Do you honestly believe that the deficit was not a problem before Obama took office? I don't want to play the blame game because both parties are responsible. Now both parties need to stop with ideological bull shit and come up with a solution and it better not be a privitize everything solution.

I thought he ran on ending the failed policies of George W Bush?
Obama's track record is that he spent with abandon. The deficit was within normal range for GDP until he took over.
usgs_line.php

The story line that Obama inherited an intractable mess is merely excuses for his failures in office.

Uhhh...Dude, the recession started in 2008 and hit the deficit hard in 2009. He inherited a 1.3 trillion yearly defecit. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Why do you keep on going with the rhetoric? Do you honestly believe that the deficit was not a problem before Obama took office? I don't want to play the blame game because both parties are responsible. Now both parties need to stop with ideological bull shit and come up with a solution and it better not be a privitize everything solution.

Are you not able to read a chart? Do you not see that the deficit as a percentage of GDP skyrocketed under Obama? What is hard to understand about that?
And if it was a problem before he took office, how is increasing spendign a way to deal with it?

How the GOP won the economic spin war: 3 theories - Yahoo! News

New York – A majority of Americans buy the GOP's claims that slashing spending would strengthen the fragile recovery — even if many economists disagree

And

2. Voters don't understand economics
Americans care more about creating jobs than reducing federal debt, says Steve Benen at Washington Monthly. Yet they keep repeating the GOP's "ridiculous message" that cutting spending will help create jobs, and slashing taxes will somehow reduce the deficit when "tackling the deficit would make matters worse, not better, for those hurting most." What's behind this jarring disconnect? "Public ignorance."

If anyone knew economics including the dipshat GOP they would know that cutting spending and lowering taxes isn't going to create jobs and reduce deficit at the same time, something has to give.

True. People must learned that increased spending and inoy ncreasing taxes is a bad idea. But since the dems did it any way and made things worse, the idea of giving them free range to increase taxes so they can increase spending again is fucking stoopid.

so people want to keep more of thier money and force the government not to waste thier tax money.

Spin Wars?

The GOP doesn't need to spin $14.4 trillion in debt, 9%+ UE, GE paid no taxes and works in the WH, 3 new wars, Obama doesn't need permission to war b/c he said so.

krist only a blind fool would support the dems and obama.

New York – A majority of Americans buy the GOP's claims that slashing spending would strengthen the fragile recovery — even if many economists disagree

And

Americans care more about creating jobs than reducing federal debt, says Steve Benen at Washington Monthly. Yet they keep repeating the GOP's "ridiculous message" that cutting spending will help create jobs, and slashing taxes will somehow reduce the deficit when "tackling the deficit would make matters worse, not better, for those hurting most." What's behind this jarring disconnect? "Public ignorance."

If anyone knew economics including the dipshat GOP they would know that cutting spending and lowering taxes isn't going to create jobs and reduce deficit at the same time, something has to give.

Name calling is only going to create enemies.

GOP knows deficits do not hurt until it comes time to pay on them. So increasing the debt by lowering taxes will result in more money in the economy for a couple years.

But make things worse in the long run.

And

True. People must learned that increased spending and inoy ncreasing taxes is a bad idea. But since the dems did it any way and made things worse, the idea of giving them free range to increase taxes so they can increase spending again is fucking stoopid.

so people want to keep more of thier money and force the government not to waste thier tax money.

Spin Wars?

The GOP doesn't need to spin $14.4 trillion in debt, 9%+ UE, GE paid no taxes and works in the WH, 3 new wars, Obama doesn't need permission to war b/c he said so.

krist only a blind fool would support the dems and obama.

agreed, only a fool would support the previous admin as well.

Cut taxes, cut spending in half, do away with everything except SS ( because people paid into it
for their entire working life ) and the military. All the rest of that shit can simply go away.

If there is a state dept. of "whatever", then there is no need for a Federal Dept. of "whatever".

Then we'd find that there is plenty of money and by getting rid of all the Fed Depts businesses
would flock to get into America and hire people.

States rights I love it.

The only problem would be some cry babies saying that one state is better off than another and its not fair. waaaaaaaaaaaa

The last time the government actually cut taxes and spending and let the economy work itself out was 1920/21.

Unemployment dropped from 12% down to 4% in 18 months. A year later you could not find an unemployed person in America.

Contrast that with the FDR Depression where Progressives tried to centrally plan and terrorize American businesses and gave us misery that surpasses the 7 Biblical lean years and did not end until Hitler invaded France
Sounds great until you apply historical context. WW I had ended in 1918 leaving the economies of Europe in shambles. That vacuum allowed American industrial exports to dominate. And those laissez faire policies let Wall Street speculators run wild in an unregulated market setting up Hoover's 1929 crash which devastated our own economy.

It took FDR to save us from the fate that befell the foundering European states. Fascism or Communism.

Damn that history stuff! It always refudiates (thanks, Sarah!) that laissez faire mentality!

The last time the government actually cut taxes and spending and let the economy work itself out was 1920/21.

Unemployment dropped from 12% down to 4% in 18 months. A year later you could not find an unemployed person in America.

Contrast that with the FDR Depression where Progressives tried to centrally plan and terrorize American businesses and gave us misery that surpasses the 7 Biblical lean years and did not end until Hitler invaded France
Sounds great until you apply historical context. WW I had ended in 1918 leaving the economies of Europe in shambles. That vacuum allowed American industrial exports to dominate. And those laissez faire policies let Wall Street speculators run wild in an unregulated market setting up Hoover's 1929 crash which devastated our own economy.

It took FDR to save us from the fate that befell the foundering European states. Fascism or Communism.

Damn that history stuff! It always refudiates (thanks, Sarah!) that laissez faire mentality!

Don't you have a toilet to inspect rather than bothering us with misinformation you learned in 7th grade history?

Don't you have a toilet to inspect rather than bothering us with misinformation you learned in 7th grade history?
Well argued! Insightful, concise and thoughtful. You must have picked up some debate coaching points from Rush Limbaugh. Now, go rest and get a cookie. The grown ups are talking.

Are you not able to read a chart? Do you not see that the deficit as a percentage of GDP skyrocketed under Obama? What is hard to understand about that?
And if it was a problem before he took office, how is increasing spendign a way to deal with it?

I can see it but you fail to acknowledge the fact that Obama was handed a 1.3 trillion yearly deficit before he ever did anything. TARP, stimulus 1 and the GM bailout were handed to him for the 2009 budget. Can you not see that? Or are you that naive?

I can see it but you fail to acknowledge the fact that Obama was handed a 1.3 trillion yearly deficit before he ever did anything. TARP, stimulus 1 and the GM bailout were handed to him for the 2009 budget. Can you not see that? Or are you that naive?

DO you see the the deficit as a percentage of GDP skyrocketed under Obama, whose response was to spend more money? Yes or no?

DO you see the the deficit as a percentage of GDP skyrocketed under Obama, whose response was to spend more money? Yes or no?

I just told you in the previous post. I'm not going to argue with you if you're going to ignore my point.

I think you just answered my question in the previous post as well...Yes you are that naive.

Interstate commerce?

Of course the constitution give the federal government the right to regulate interstate commerce.

This is something for another place but why should issues that involve one state only be interfered with by the federal government.

Education for example. We have county school boards, state boards of education, and the federal dept of education. Cut federal money to schools and let each state fix their own problems with solutions that work for that state.

But like I said this is something for another discussion.

And

There is no economic war spin. The economy sucks. Got it????

How is it inaccurate? If it's misinformation then what really happened? I'm waiting....

How the GOP won the economic spin war: 3 theories

What I find astounding is the fact that you continue to think its ONLY the GOP, Flaylo.

It takes an an amzing facts filter to arrive at such a partisan POV.

I know we are different but you have become one of my fav posters on these boards. It seems to be very rare to see people from the left (this is not a attack on the left, just what I have noticed) point out that both side have failed us yet it is expected from everyone on the right.

How is it inaccurate? If it's misinformation then what really happened? I'm waiting....

FDR ushered in the new progressive nanny state that is part and parcel of what is currently crushing us as well as what prolonged the economic malaise of the 20's & 30's... and BTW... WW II is what pulled us out of the great depression.

Last edited:

FDR ushered in the new progressive nanny state that is part and parcel of what is currently crushing us as well as what prolonged the economic malaise of the 20's & 30's... and BTW... WW II is what pulled us out of the great depression.

Correct. It is amazing that all we have is history to look at and yet people manage to blame Harding/Coolidge for FDR's 12 year prolonged depression. Funny how WWII destroyed most of the world creating a demand for manufacturing from the US... also a lot of FDR's policies being repealed right around the same time allowing a "free market" to force itself to correction by pure world historic demand for any 1 nations goods...

Obama is hoping for the same crap today, float the economy until WWIII saves us? He's doing his best to start WWIII it seems.

If you understood history, you'd realize that cutting spending and cutting taxes gave us the greatest period of Economic growth in American history and brought use out of the 1920 Depression which was much deeper than the 1929 Depression.

But hey, clearly cutting taxes and spending is a bad idea. Clearly we need to do what Hoover and FDR did. The Great Depression only lasted 12 years. Clearly using the same methods to get out of it will work better this time. We are alot smarter now and know how to intervene in the economy much better. Doing the same exact thing is going to give us different results.

Forum List

Back