How the Fuck does a Cargo ship ram an US Destroyer even by accident?

I'm sorry, you don't seem to have a grasp on how running lights are visible of a ship.
To Rockwell Tory: Having stood lookout on 35 or so ships amounting to thousands of hours I am pretty sure I know how to spot lights, and how to report them.

Throw in an almost equal amount of time as an unofficial lookout when I was doing quartermaster duty. Basically, the mates on watch spent most of their time in the chartroom. Occasionally, he would come out and check the radar. I could walk over and check the radar if I felt like it. I never did because I put more trust in my eyes.

So in addition to the designated lookout the quartermaster would also keep an out for lights at night, and ships during daylight hours, whenever the ship was on autopilot.

NOTE: Lookouts on merchant ships stand their watch on the bow when weather permits. On either wing of the bridge, or on the monkey bridge depending upon the master’s orders or the licensed officer on watch. The monkey bridge is the open deck above the wheelhouse in the photo:

th
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.twi4i2UBiYglH_c6aI6tygEsDQ&pid=Api&w=261&h=181
If the Crystal approached from A, both running lights and masthead light would be visible, but the damage on the Crystal's port bow and Fitzgerald's starboard side indicates the impact was from abaft the beam or about 120 degrees relative for the Fitzgerald. The Crystal's starboard running light would not be visible at that angle.
To Rockwell Tory: Your are either putting me on, or you are trying to save face for making a boo-boo. There is no way a lookout can fail to see a running light regardless of the angle:

th
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.EjFT7LOGdJ5m4pHLRvIhTAEsEs&pid=Api&w=180&h=181
In answer to your specific question, we have no information on that, as it would would be based on the testimony of the watchstanders on the Fitzgerald.
To Rockwell Tory: I agree on that. The testimony given from both ships will be critical.
The fact that the CO was apparently not on the bridge, and was injured in the collision, would indicate to me that he was completely unaware of the close contact, and the bridge should have notified them if they thought there was a risk of collision.
To Rockwell Tory: No captain is notified of reports from lookouts. In this case, the officer on the bridge might have misjudged the immediate danger. By the time the Crystal was too close it was too late.

You are talking merchant ships, correct?

On my cruiser, a bridge team consisted of an Officer-of-the-Deck (OOD) , Junior Officer Of the Deck (JOOD), plus most sections had a Junior Officer Of the Watch (JOOW), and that is just the officers. We had a port and starboard lookout, quartermaster, helmsman, lee helmsman, Boatswains Mate of the Watch (BMOW), aft lookout on the fantail and a messenger of the watch. I am sure that the watch stations were similar although slightly smaller on the Fitzgerald as there may be no need for a lee helmsman on a gas turbine powered ship.

As to the running lights, if the Crystal is approaching the Fitzgerald from abaft the beam with a target angle of anywhere from 300-330 (from the merchant), it is impossible to see the starboard running light using your own diagram as a reference. If the Fitzgerald was in the upper left corner of the blue box with a heading towards the top of the box/page, the starboard running light of the Crystal could not be seen. That is the purpose of the red and green running lights as to determine the ship's aspect at night.

My Captain's standing orders (on every ship I served on) required he be notified by the OOD when any ship had a CPA of less than X amount of yards if he was not on the bridge. The orders required a specific set of information to be given and every OOD knew it by heart.If the CPA was less than X yards, he would often come to the bridge. In a high traffic area, the Captain often never left the bridge and would often sleep in his bridge chair. Our Captain's sea cabin was just inside the bridge wing door on the starboard side, so he was literally 5 steps fro the bridge.

I served on a destroyer tender as a radar operator, a helmsman on a submarine, JOOW on an aircraft carrier, and OOD on two guided missile cruisers. I was also a qualified Command Duty Officer which meant I could get the ship underway in case of an emergency, without the CO or XO on board. I later served as an engineering officer on a amphib assault carrier.

We apparently are talking two different worlds here, but you can rest assured that my estimates are accurate based on the damage that I have seen on pictures of both ships.

Something ain't right. A couple of years ago the career of a star captain in the Submarine service was ended because he was not following procedure when he called an emergency surface to impress reporters that were apparently aboard but the Sub was under some Japanese fishing boats. If the skipper U.S. Destroyer can let an unidentified ship come close enough to cause a collision there is a freaking problem that reporters are covering up and the skipper should face negligent manslaughter charges.

Kind of strange that there is little or no media speculation about a U.S. Military Ship losing a dozen Sailors in a collision when the media was all over the poor Marine who was photographed pissing on the enemy dead and was dragged back to the States to face Court Martial during the Obama administration.

Kind of strange that there is little or no media speculation about a U.S. Military Ship losing a dozen Sailors in a collision when the media was all over the poor Marine who was photographed pissing on the enemy dead and was dragged back to the States to face Court Martial during the Obama administration.

Learned a long time ago a story involving the Military is only a headline then quickly fades away...unless it advances a political agenda...or can get one elected.

From what I can see, the merchant ship was doing some serious turning and would be impossible for the Navy Ship to NOT hit him. The question remains to be answer, "What the Hell was the Merchant Captain doing?"

I seems like it was the fault of the Navy vessel. It was hit in the starboard side. Generally you are supposed to give way to vessels approaching from starboard. Especially if that ship is much larger than yours.

Before the impact, the Merchant Ship was doing some strange things. It's hard to miss something that is being very erratic like that. Not to mention, if it had been the Navy Vessels fault, it would still be in the news. It's disappeared from the news radar.

From what I can see, the merchant ship was doing some serious turning and would be impossible for the Navy Ship to NOT hit him. The question remains to be answer, "What the Hell was the Merchant Captain doing?"
I believe it has been stated that the time of collision was in question. The U turn performed by the Merchant ship was to render aid and thus no radical course change before collision.

I believe it has been stated that the time of collision was in question. The U turn performed by the Merchant ship was to render aid and thus no radical course change before collision.

Regardless of the reason for the turn, he turned into the Frigate.

This one has me scratching my head:

The deadly collision between a U.S. destroyer and a container ship June 17 took place while the freighter was on autopilot, according to Navy officials.

The Philippines-flagged cargo ship ACX Crystal was under control of a computerized navigation system that was steering and guiding the container vessel, according to officials familiar with preliminary results of an ongoing Navy investigation.

Investigators so far found no evidence the collision was deliberate.

Nevertheless, an accident during computerized navigation raises the possibility the container ship's computer system could have been hacked and the ship deliberately steered into the USS Fitzgerald, an Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer.​

Freighter Was On Autopilot When It Hit U.S. Destroyer
BY: Bill Gertz
June 23, 2017 5:00 am

Freighter Was On Autopilot When It Hit US Destroyer

If the ship was on the Iron Mike that meant there were two lookouts:
Throw in an almost equal amount of time as an unofficial lookout when I was doing quartermaster duty. Basically, the mates on watch spent most of their time in the chartroom. Occasionally, he would come out and check the radar. I could walk over and check the radar if I felt like it. I never did because I put more trust in my eyes.

So in addition to the designated lookout the quartermaster would also keep an out for lights at night, and ships during daylight hours, whenever the ship was on autopilot.

Three lookouts if the mate on watch was actually in the wheelhouse. I just cannot see how three, or two, lookouts could miss their ship making a u-turn.

I just read something that said the freighter was on auto-pilot at the time of the collision. How the hell would that cause it to turn into the naval vessel? And there were no lookouts? Or radar?

New details emerge in USS Fitzgerald collision - CNNPolitics.com

Initial reports suggest that the collision occurred at 1:30 a.m., but the container ship crew did not automatically realize it had happened. The container ship turned back, and it appears the collision was then formally reported around 2:20 a.m.

Appears initial reports of time of collision are in question. The course of the container ship was that it turned around to render aid.

Makes no sense

With radar and tracking programs estimating the speed and trajectory of each ship.......how could you possibly even get close to each other?

Makes no sense

With radar and tracking programs estimating the speed and trajectory of each ship.......how could you possibly even get close to each other?
Navy will investigate. They will not release findings until every i is dotted and every t is crossed..

Recorders from every aspect will be dissected. and analyzed.

It appears even the initial reports of time of collision were incorrectly reported on the news.

Forum List

Back