How society benefits from banning same-sex marriage

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by manifold, Jul 30, 2012.

1. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,936
    When it comes to (acceptable) lawful infringement on an individual's pursuit of happiness, the first hurdle for me, acceptability-wise, is that it MUST offer some benefit to society as a whole. That alone doesn't make it acceptable IMO, but the absence of any societal benefit certainly makes it unnecessary, and therefore unacceptable by default. When it comes to same-sex marriage, I can't get past this first hurdle. I've been asking people for years to give me an example, any example, of how banning same-sex marriage is good 'for the many' so to speak, and so far nobody has accepted the challenge in earnest.

So please explain, if you can, how our society would be better off if we ban same-sex marriage.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,338
    There is no major benefit of same sex marriage.

3. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,936
    People seeking same-marriage would likely disagree with you wholeheartedly.

But regardless, that isn't the question. The question is what is the benefit to infringing upon a same-sex couple's pursuit of happiness.

4. Si modo

Si modo Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,703
    I neither want a ban on it, nor do I want a government stamp of approval. It's something the government needs to get out of altogether. It never should have BEEN involved, except for the contractual aspects of it.

5. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,992
    Sure. But the government is involved. I recognize that you don't want it to be, but it is.

Since it is, is there any reason that same-sex marriages should be discriminated against?

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Deregulated User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +380
    "Marriage" as recognized by the law for the purpose of home ownership, power of attorney, etc, and "marriage" from a religious standpoint are two totally different things.

I think gays should get the same rights and protections under the law that hetero-sexual couples do... while any religious establishment retains the right to refuse marrying gays in the name of their own religion if they so choose. Asking anything more or less of either side is just being overbearing, IMO.

7. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,992
    There has never been talk of anyone forcing religions that don't support same-sex marriage to perform them.

8. Avorysuds

Avorysuds Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,141
    Seeing as the constitution does not discriminate against gender, sexuality or race I don't see how anyone can make a case that 2 people of the same sex should not be allowed to be married and have that opinion enforced by the Government.

It's pure corruption based on bigotry, plain and simple.

As for the case that there needs to be a benefit to society, where did that come from? Should we outlaw smoking, or eating sugar because there is no benefit to society? Where is this rule being handed down from, the constitution?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. manifold

manifold Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,936
    I find nothing material in your philosophical viewpoint with which to take issue, except that it doesn't pass pragmatic muster. You see, the government is already involved, and deeply. As long as there is a mechanism in place that allows two consenting adults to participate in a government sponsored institution offering financial and lawful benefits, any two consenting adults ought to qualify... unless of course there is a strong societal benefit to restricting it. So again, what is the benefit?

10. Some Guy

Some Guy Deregulated User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +380
    Well the term "gay marriage" is thrown around a whole lot. It's hard to tell exactly who's talking about what when they refer to "marriage."