How should the new and old testaments be handled in terms of homosexuals?

Jesus never said one word (according to the new testament) about being gay, whether it was right or wrong.

There's a lot in the old testament about it, but everytime I bring up one of the many evil quotes in the old testament I'm told we're essentially supposed to ignore it and that the new testament cleans the slate of the old testament. So I assume we should also ignore what it says about being gay if we should ignore what it says about genocide/infanticide and the promoting of more of those things in the future.

So what would Jesus do? Maybe he hates gays? Maybe he thinks gays are more moral than straights? How do we know besides just a total blind guess?

Another post to prove your idiocy? Read 1 Corinthians chapter 6.

The only people Jesus ever spoke up against were the Sadducees and the Pharisees. Maybe you should read a little bit about them before you try to pin God down to a position He does not have.

"Dare any of you, having a matter against another, go to law before the unjust, and not before the saints?"

Where does it say anything even remotely about being gay in there? Enlighten me

You do realize that that Chapter is longer than 20 words, don't you. I told you to read it, not make my copy and paste it. If you are not going to put any effort into this at all you will never learn.

The law of the old testament is for believers to kill non-believers, even if they're family members.

If you took the old testament seriously you'd either be in jail or dead.

no,no, I was talking about the Bible not the Koran. put a chapter and verse with that statement. i bet you cant.

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)
The thing is that the standard was so high based on jewish law to give someone the death penalty that it made it almost impossible implement.

What the Torah is telling you is that the sins are very serious.

And yes homosexuality is a serious sin.

Below is what is involved to implement the death penality based on jewish law.

Judaism & Capital Punishment - ChabadLive (Chabad House of Hendon)

First of all there have to be two witnesses to the actual crime. Even strong circumstantial evidence is inadmissible for the purposes of capital punishment. Secondly, the witnesses need to give an official ‘warning’ to the perpetrator that if he commits the offence he is liable to the death penalty. The perpetrator needs to clearly accept this warning and commit the crime within a few seconds of the warning, thus distinguishing the act as utterly premeditated and the sinner completely aware of the consequences. Even if all the above conditions are satisfied there is still no certainty of conviction as the witnesses are subject to very aggressive cross-examination. If certain details of the witnesses testimonies do not correspond or if they are inaccurate in describing the full cirmcustances surrounding the event they can be disqualified and the conviction will not be secured.

Furthermore, according to the Talmud, "any doubts in a capital crimes should always be for the benefit of the accused" (Baba Batra 50B, Sanhedrin 79A). A judge who had argued initially for condemnation can subsequently argue for acquittal, but one who had argued for acquittal cannot not later argue for condemnation. Acquittal in capital cases required only a simple majority of one vote, condemnation required a majority of two.

A ‘guilty’ verdict can be reversed to acquittal if errors are revealed, but new evidence to reverse an ‘innocent’ decision to ‘gulity’ is not accepted!

Rabbinic attitudes concerning the death penalty are, as expected diverse: "a Sanhedrin that effects an execution once in seven years is branded ‘a destructive Court’" Rabbi Elizer Ben Azariah said "once in seventy years." Rabbis Tarfon and Akiba said, "If we were members of a Sanhedrin, nobody would ever be put to death." ( Makkot 7A). In that same Gemarra, however, Rabbi Simeon Ben Gamaliel dissented: "If we never condemned anyone to death, we might be considered guilty of promoting violence and bloodshed.... [We] could also multiply shedders of blood in Israel"

Still there were exceptional periods in Jewish history that required radical action. According to Rambam: One who murders without clear proof that he is the murderer, i.e. there were not two witnesses, or without warning having been administered by two witnesses, the king has authority to execute him and to perfect the world in accordance with what the hour requires…. The king is empowered to take the measures necessary to inspire fear, and to break the hands of the world's evil people. ( Mishneh Torah, Laws of Kings 3:1)

To conclude let us quote from Rambam’s own analysis of the terrible nature of murder Rambam (Laws of Murderers 4:9) explains why the Torah was so insistent on the murderer's punishment despite the numerous obstacles and even safeguards against conviction and execution.

“Although there are sins more severe than murder, none so involve the destruction of human society…. Whoever has committed this crime is classed as a 'rasha,' an evildoer, and all the other mitzvoth he performed during his whole life cannot weigh against this sin, neither will they save him from punishment.”

Perhaps that’s why Lord Stevens said what he said – but surely it would apply to all murderes - not just of policemen

Jesus never said one word (according to the new testament) about being gay, whether it was right or wrong.

There's a lot in the old testament about it, but everytime I bring up one of the many evil quotes in the old testament I'm told we're essentially supposed to ignore it and that the new testament cleans the slate of the old testament. So I assume we should also ignore what it says about being gay if we should ignore what it says about genocide/infanticide and the promoting of more of those things in the future.

So what would Jesus do? Maybe he hates gays? Maybe he thinks gays are more moral than straights? How do we know besides just a total blind guess?

No God does not hate them. He hates the sin - because it hurts us and others. But we've ALL sinned and /or struggle with it. Fornication is fornication and lust is lust. Adultery is just as harmful. He knows it hurts us and others, so He wants to help us away from it. The whole point of Him paying our debt, to know Him/His love and to love one another.

Jesus would love and accept them and also witness to them. However, only by His Spirit do people get convicted and turn away. So they need to KNOW Him first, which means believing in Him. FULLY believing in Him. (Read how many times the Gospel of John says "believe" - wowza) And upon that moment, we want to turn away from sin, not out of obligation, not out of being obedient for obedience sake, but because of the revelation of His love. The revelation of Jesus Christ's love (and no condemnation) is what helps us repent. His love is like no other. God's love and grace continues to amaze me. That said, sin still hurts us, and we need to call it as it is - a sin.

As for Jesus not speaking out specifically against homosexuality, he neither spoke about incest - but we don't see that sin on the chopping block. People just try to justify their sin sometimes, that means all of us.

We have all fallen short, but the Lord Jesus Christ made a way - all what He did on the Cross, and only He can pay our debt. . Love covers a mulitude of sins.

Thank Him so much.

How does the event of two consenting adults making love in the privacy of their home hurt you or others?

Did God not want human beings to enjoy the pleasure of being in love and making love?

Buddhists view the precept of sexual misconduct differently than Christians do sin. We are enjoined that we share a committment with our lover, that we don't break up another couple, that the sexual activity be consenting and with adults, and that we do no harm.

Homosexuals are not made to feel their relationships are sinful and invalid. We must abide by the same conduct laws. Here is the Third Precept on Sexual Misconduct:

"Aware of the suffering caused by sexual misconduct, I undertake to cultivate responsibility and learn ways to protect the safety and integrity of individuals, couples, families, and society. I am determined not to engage in sexual relations without love and a long- term commitment. To preserve the happiness of myself and others, I am determined to respect my commitments and the commitments of others. I will do everything in my power to protect children from sexual abuse and to prevent couples and families from being broken by sexual misconduct."
http://dharma.ncf.ca/introduction/precepts/precept-3.html

I feel sorry for any gay or lesbian person who considers themselves Christian. They must tie themselves in knots having sex with people they don't love or forced celibacy. Being gay is not just about sex. It's about the identity of ones very being. To be told your entire identify is flawed much be so painful for them.

Last edited:
Well see homosexuals, like every other person in humanity, needs to have faith in Jesus Christ and repent of their sins.

Why would you expect some unique standard because they take pleasure from members of their same gender?

Sure, if you're a Christian, Catholic, etc.., but would'nt you want to make a clear cut reference that you can go to? Defining their place. Same-sex friendly, where the lines are not blurred and there is no gray area..

Different preachers and those who have "spoken" to God have continually used OR abused the good book for their own purposes, needs and interpretations.

Then there is the Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, etc..

A small adjustment in which you can account for everything.

Like have . . . I don't know.

God created Ken and created Barbie from a rib from Ken . . . then he created Edna and Eve . . . and finally Adam and Steve.

Interpreting it would be simple.

Unless you like arguing and cherish these debates over interpretation.

no,no, I was talking about the Bible not the Koran. put a chapter and verse with that statement. i bet you cant.

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12 NLT)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. "The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him." (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 NLT)

If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst. (Deuteronomy 13:7-12 NAB)

Suppose a man or woman among you, in one of your towns that the LORD your God is giving you, has done evil in the sight of the LORD your God and has violated the covenant by serving other gods or by worshiping the sun, the moon, or any of the forces of heaven, which I have strictly forbidden. When you hear about it, investigate the matter thoroughly. If it is true that this detestable thing has been done in Israel, then that man or woman must be taken to the gates of the town and stoned to death. (Deuteronomy 17:2-5 NLT)

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Romans 1:24-32 NLT)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Excellent, you have quoted the law ! Now, What did Jesus saw about the law ?

You said the Bible, not the New Testament. Hence the whole point of the thread in me asking how the old testament should be handled, Jesus says NOTHING about people being gay. Nothing good or bad.

Do we take the old testament seriously? In that case you christians have a lot of killing to do and your view of homophobia is correct according to the Bible.

If we should ignore the old testament and take the new testament seriously than you can't say your reason for being a homophone is Bible-backed.

Excellent, you have quoted the law ! Now, What did Jesus saw about the law ?

You said the Bible, not the New Testament. Hence the whole point of the thread in me asking how the old testament should be handled, Jesus says NOTHING about people being gay. Nothing good or bad.

Do we take the old testament seriously? In that case you christians have a lot of killing to do and your view of homophobia is correct according to the Bible.

If we should ignore the old testament and take the new testament seriously than you can't say your reason for being a homophone is Bible-backed.

I am no homophobe. How some one lives there life and what they do in there bedroom has no bearing on my life. The new testament IS the bible. Now you are so close to your answer just dig a little bit more and you will have it !

Did Jesus support Slavery?

I don't care about what jesus supported, however, slavery in the time of the Torah was was a lot different than slavery today.

For example, if you had a slave and you had one pillow, you were supposed to give it to the slave.

But once he put his head on the pillow you were allowed to beat him with a cane as long as he could recover in a week

Did Jesus support Slavery?

I don't care about what jesus supported, however, slavery in the time of the Torah was was a lot different than slavery today.

For example, if you had a slave and you had one pillow, you were supposed to give it to the slave.

But once he put his head on the pillow you were allowed to beat him with a cane as long as he could recover in a week

Huh? Ware did that come from? slave ownership and there treatment is covered as well in both books of the Bible. Ill treatment is not condoned in either of them.

Source?

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

Source?

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21 NAB)

"He Who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surley be put to death.- Exodus 21-16

That says something about slavery doesn't it ? Beating slaves and women is not condoned even in the old testament. Slavery was hoe things were done back then. It did not give permission to mistreat or beat them.

Last edited:

"He Who kidnaps a man and sells him, or if he is found in his hand, shall surley be put to death.- Exodus 21-16

That says something about slavery doesn't it ? Beating slaves and women is not condoned even in the old testament. Slavery was hoe things were done back then. It did not give permission to mistreat or beat them.

How about sexual slavery?

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

I don't want to bother writing all this so, I am just going to copy and paste.

Torah on the Web - Virtual Beit Midrash - P57mish

Jewish law required that a slave could go free in the seventh year of
service (Exodus 21:2), although his family would not be freed;
although if he came into servitude with a wife, that wife would also
be freed. The slave could, however, indicate that they perferred
bondage to freedom. Every fiftieth year (the "Jubilee"), the slaves
with their families would be emancipated, and property (except house
property in a walled city) would revert to its original owner. (Lev
XXV:8-55).

In Judaism, there is also the concept of an "Eved Canani", a
non-Jewish slave, who is the property of a Jew, as is discussed in
Vayikrah 25:46. This concept of slavery is nothing like slavery that
occurred in America to the Negroes. The slaves were not kidnapped, but
rather were purchased from themselves; i.e., they were offered a sum
of money, or guaranteed shelter and food, in exchange for becoming
slaves. The obligation to treat your slave humanely applies to both
Jewish and non-Jewish slave, as does the obligation to make sure they
have all necessary comforts, even at the expense of their master's own
comfort (e.g., if there are not enough pillows for all, the master
must provide his slaves with pillows before himself).

Slavery is clearly discussed in the Torah, especially in reference to
Canaan, who was cursed by his grandfather Noach to be destined to be
the slaves to the rest of mankind, as stated and repeated a number of
times in Beraishis 9:25-27.

I don't want to bother writing all this so, I am just going to copy and paste.

Torah on the Web - Virtual Beit Midrash - P57mish

Jewish law required that a slave could go free in the seventh year of
service (Exodus 21:2), although his family would not be freed;
although if he came into servitude with a wife, that wife would also
be freed. The slave could, however, indicate that they perferred
bondage to freedom. Every fiftieth year (the "Jubilee"), the slaves
with their families would be emancipated, and property (except house
property in a walled city) would revert to its original owner. (Lev
XXV:8-55).

In Judaism, there is also the concept of an "Eved Canani", a
non-Jewish slave, who is the property of a Jew, as is discussed in
Vayikrah 25:46. This concept of slavery is nothing like slavery that
occurred in America to the Negroes. The slaves were not kidnapped, but
rather were purchased from themselves; i.e., they were offered a sum
of money, or guaranteed shelter and food, in exchange for becoming
slaves. The obligation to treat your slave humanely applies to both
Jewish and non-Jewish slave, as does the obligation to make sure they
have all necessary comforts, even at the expense of their master's own
comfort (e.g., if there are not enough pillows for all, the master
must provide his slaves with pillows before himself).

Slavery is clearly discussed in the Torah, especially in reference to
Canaan, who was cursed by his grandfather Noach to be destined to be
the slaves to the rest of mankind, as stated and repeated a number of
times in Beraishis 9:25-27.

Good post.

How about sexual slavery?

When a man sells his daughter as a slave, she will not be freed at the end of six years as the men are. If she does not please the man who bought her, he may allow her to be bought back again. But he is not allowed to sell her to foreigners, since he is the one who broke the contract with her. And if the slave girl's owner arranges for her to marry his son, he may no longer treat her as a slave girl, but he must treat her as his daughter. If he himself marries her and then takes another wife, he may not reduce her food or clothing or fail to sleep with her as his wife. If he fails in any of these three ways, she may leave as a free woman without making any payment. (Exodus 21:7-11 NLT)

You need to read more. You are getting close. You also need to consider the times and then go look at the new testament. Don't look at them as two different books, that's not what they are. Do you know what Jesus had to say about the old testament and the law ?

At that time slavery was very common. However, the jewish laws regarding slavery dictated treating slaves much more humanely, than was done during that time period.

I would invite everyone here, regardless of who you are, what behavior you engage in, come to God. Learn about His plan of Happiness and experiment on His word. Try it out and learn for yourself. He will teach us all. It doesn't matter if we are black, white, gay, straight, old, or young. If we turn to God and repent of our sins He will give us happiness and peace.

Forum List

Back