How should emergency medical care be handled in an ideal world?

In the scenario described below, in an ideal world, which of the following is best-

• The patient is left to die

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • The patient is saved at the expense of the hospital's owners

• The patient is saved at the expense of other, paying patients

• The patient is saved at taxpayer expense

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • The patient is saved, saddled with debt, and one of the above three pays anyway

• The person is saved at the expense of a magical money tree that exists in ideal tea party la la land

• Total voters
I recently took a fun ride to the hospital in an ambulance because I coudldn't breathe (asthmatic bronchitis). No insurance either.

The ONLY concern on the minds of those treating me was MAKING SURE I DIDNT DIE. They weren't worried about money.....although the next day their business office was.

There is a community resource in our area which is a pool of money donated by the hospital and other major corproations, the United Way, Salvation Army, Red Cross, etc that provides assistance to the uninsured/unemployed/low income who have medical bills. If for whatever reason you can't pay the bill, you are automatically referred to this organization for assistance/consideration.

That is were we are now with my ambulance ride and hospital bills. They will likely be covered by this foundation. Thank God. :)

And Thank God the good people in the ER were more concerned about my medical care than payment. They did an awesome job and when the hospital called the next day to do a "survey" on my care, I named names as to who took such good care of me. They deserve to have their name on a wall of fame (which the hospital DOES have .... doctors, nurses and other patient care level employees have their name posted on this wall when they're singled out for positive praise in a survey).

That's my experience....I think this is how it should work. But, I could be wrong. I have been before.

Jeny

Well, this is all moot because we all know that nobody ever has to die, unless they want to, because ObamaCare is now the law of the land!

They're fully treated, given a private room at the best facility available and the bill is passed on to the Obama voters because they believe nobody should have to pay for anything... except the "evil rich" of course.

They're fully treated, given a private room at the best facility available and the bill is passed on to the Obama voters because they believe nobody should have to pay for anything... except the "evil rich" of course.

Yet another rightie who prefers to laugh at the idea of there even being a health care problem rather than proposing any alternative solutions.

Since most of the hospital's I know are non-profit...I put the patient is saved at the expense of the hospital's owners.

Since its a non-profit - that won't work - the owners have no profits with which to part. So clearly in that case the money comes out of the pockets of paying patients.

Funny how our local non-profit hospital always has money to remodel and upgrade. Heck, all their rooms are now private rooms. I remember being in a hospital and sharing a room with 3 old ladies when I was 16. I hated it. No tv, no nothing, just medical care. Now they have everything and they charge for it, big time. I see no reason for private rooms at the cost of health-care to the poor.

I see no reason for it for anyone except the wealthy and those who medical needs require it. The purpose of a hospital is to treat people who are sick and injured, not to provide a hotel room. God forbid I require hospitalization anytime soon, but if I do, I'm fine sharing a room if it means a huge chunk of the hospital bill is cheaper. With technology nowadays - hospitals don't even really need TV's to keep patients entertained - all they need is a wifi connection.[/QUOTE]

You think the owners aren't getting a check? Heck, years ago the head of the Red Cross was getting more than the president PLUS expenses. How about they get a smaller check, stop doing so much remodeling on the hospital and put that money into paying for those that need the care?

Forum List

Back