How sexy is classical music?

I think that the sexiest classical music is Pergolesi - Stabat Mater - the whole thing, but, I have to admit, I've yet to meet anyone who agrees :crybaby:

Close second is baroque music, particularly Tomaso Albinoni, ie

And to a lesser degree maybe:

Also, Beethovens 7th Symphony

I think that the sexiest classical music is Pergolesi - Stabat Mater - the whole thing, but, I have to admit, I've yet to meet anyone who agrees :crybaby:

The mind is a very complicated thing. My mind generally needs visual stimuli to find classical music sexy, but that's me. I accept that others can be different in this regard :).

The mind is a very complicated thing. My mind generally needs visual stimuli to find classical music sexy, but that's me. I accept that others can be different in this regard :).

I guess I have a good imagination :wink:

Hmmmm.....that's all that counts! :biggrin::p

Agreed :). I'm like that with books. Let's just say that sometimes I have to stop reading particularly steamy passages on public transit or risk more then my imagination being too stirred :p...

Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

I apologise for the length of this post, but when I must mention Richard Wagner and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in one post, this is going to be lengthy. The music of Wagner and the words of Goethe are both an almost religious experience.

W. A. Mozart and Franz Schubert belong to our Germanic mind and heart, Richard Wagner and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe are of our Germanic soul and blood.

Wagner and Goethe flow through our veins and into the core of our very being.

Richard Wagner "Eine Faust-Ouvertüre, WWV 59, D minor". Richard Wagner originally composed this during 1839-40, meaning it to be a Symphony, somewhere along the way he decided that it shouldn't be a Symphony, during the next fifteen years he constantly revised this composition, the final revising happening in 1855 and the result this single-movement Ouvertüre.

Franz Liszt did compose a Symphony though.

This is "Eine Faust-Symphonie in drei Charakterbildern" ("A Faust Symphony in three character sketches") which Liszt composed in 1854.

The Wagner and the Liszt are of course based on the play "Faust" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Goethe is pronounced Gerter.

Goethe began writing "Faust" in 1772, this is known as "Urfaust", this would all form into "Faust. Eine Tragödie", or more commonly in English called "Faust: The First Part of The Tragedy", it was completed in 1806 and published in 1808.

"Faust" is absolutely the greatest work of German literature ever produced, it's only parallel would have to be The Bible.

"Faust I" First Edition, 1808.

Goethe_Faust_I_1808.jpg

Goethe completed in 1831 "Faust. Der Tragödie zweiter Teil", or more commonly in English called "Faust: The Second Part of the Tragedy", this was published in 1831.

"Faust II" First Edition, 1831.

800px-Titelblatt_Faust_II_1832.jpg

The great film director F. W. Murnau in 1929 made a film version of "Faust", it is of course exceptional, it's available on DVD and I highly recommend it.

Faust (1926 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So back to Richard Wagner. Here is an oil painting from 1894, the artist is Wilhelm Beckmann.

It shows from left to right, Cosima Wagner (Richard's wife, she had previously been married to Franz Liszt), Richard Wagner, Franz Liszt and Hans von Wolzogen who was a well-known Belletrist (Man of Letters in English) and Publisher. In 1878 Hans von Wolzogen, with encouragement from Richard Wagner would establish a monthly newsletter "Bayreuther Blätter", meaning basically Bayreuth Pages, this was produced for the Bayreuther Festspiele (Bayreuth Festival)

Bayreuth is pronounced Bye-royt.

wagnerliszt.jpg

The Bayreuther Festspielhaus (Bayreuth Festival Theatre) in 1882.

Bayreuthfest.jpg

The Bayreuther Festspielhaus in 2006, it's official name is the Richard-Wagner-Festspielhaus.

festspielhaus-bayreuth.de.jpeg

So, Richard Wagner "Eine Faust-Ouvertüre, WWV 59, D minor".

The below performance is from 1950 and has excellent sound quality, the Conductor is Jascha Horenstein.

The orchestra are Sinfonieorchester des Südwestrundfunks, a radio orchestra who were in Baden-Baden and Freiburg im Breisgau, both in Baden-Württemberg (where my Mama's family are from, but that's Heidelberg)

Sinfonieorchester des Südwestrundfunks, known in English just as the Southwest German Radio Symphony Orchestra, they were founded in 1946 and gave their last concert a few weeks ago, because they're now merging with Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart (Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra), this merger isn't in any way popular either I might add.

The duration of the composition is 10 minutes and 20 seconds. Like all Wagner, it is majestic and passionate, almost making one dizzy at times, the man was and is a God.

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
Nobody ever cares about classical music. It seems you can't use it to get a girl. It goes even in a geek category, I guess. But I made an experiment, and I decided to play to my classmates the Chopin's Barcarolle. Guess what they all liked it, and one of the girls who I didn't think would ever look my direction, decided to go out with me. So, here is the question, why only my piano teacher hammers about practicing classical, and nobody else cares?

I apologise for the length of this post, but when I must mention Richard Wagner and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in one post, this is going to be lengthy. The music of Wagner and the words of Goethe are both an almost religious experience.

W. A. Mozart and Franz Schubert belong to our Germanic mind and heart, Richard Wagner and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe are of our Germanic soul and blood.

Richard Wagner "Eine Faust-Ouvertüre, WWV 59, D minor". Richard Wagner originally composed this during 1839-40, meaning it to be a Symphony, somewhere along the way he decided that it shouldn't be a Symphony, during the next fifteen years he constantly revised this composition, the final revising happening in 1855 and the result this single-movement Ouvertüre.

This is "Eine Faust-Symphonie in drei Charakterbildern" ("A Faust Symphony in three character sketches") which Liszt composed in 1854.

The Wagner and the Liszt are of course based on the play "Faust" by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Goethe began writing "Faust" in 1772, this is known as "Urfaust", this would all form into "Faust. Eine Tragödie", or more commonly in English called "Faust: The First Part of The Tragedy", it was completed in 1806 and published in 1808.

"Faust" is absolutely the greatest work of German literature ever produced, it's only parallel would have to be The Bible.

Goethe_Faust_I_1808.jpg

Goethe completed in 1831 "Faust. Der Tragödie zweiter Teil", or more commonly in English called "Faust: The Second Part of the Tragedy", this was published in 1831.

The great film director F. W. Murnau in 1929 made a film version of "Faust", it is of course exceptional, it's available on DVD and I highly recommend it.

So back to Richard Wagner. Here is an oil painting from 1894, the artist is Wilhelm Beckmann.

It shows from left to right, Cosima Wagner (Richard's wife, she had previously been married to Franz Liszt), Richard Wagner, Franz Liszt and Hans von Wolzogen who was a well-known Belletrist (Man of Letters in English) and Publisher. In 1878 Hans von Wolzogen, with encouragement from Richard Wagner would establish a monthly newsletter "Bayreuther Blätter", meaning basically Bayreuth Pages, this was produced for the Bayreuther Festspiele (Bayreuth Festival)

wagnerliszt.jpg

Bayreuthfest.jpg

The Bayreuther Festspielhaus in 2006, it's official name is the Richard-Wagner-Festspielhaus.

The below performance is from 1950 and has excellent sound quality, the Conductor is Jascha Horenstein.

The orchestra are Sinfonieorchester des Südwestrundfunks, a radio orchestra who were in Baden-Baden and Freiburg im Breisgau, both in Baden-Württemberg (where my Mama's family are from, but that's Heidelberg)

Sinfonieorchester des Südwestrundfunks, known in English just as the Southwest German Radio Symphony Orchestra, they were founded in 1946 and gave their last concert a few weeks ago, because they're now merging with Radio-Sinfonieorchester Stuttgart (Stuttgart Radio Symphony Orchestra), this merger isn't in any way popular either I might add.

The duration of the composition is 10 minutes and 20 seconds. Like all Wagner, it is majestic and passionate, almost making one dizzy at times, the man was and is a God.

Edited to add comment.

I'm posting that again, I'm Spamming the thread :eek-52:

It's Wagner, he was and is a God, so you're getting the composition posted twice, whether you like it or not :smoke:

Richard Wagner "Eine Faust-Ouvertüre, WWV 59, D minor".

Performance from 1950, the Conductor is Jascha Horenstein, the orchestra are Sinfonieorchester des Südwestrundfunks.

Goethe_Faust_I_1808.jpg

wagnerliszt.jpg

Bayreuthfest.jpg

Edited to add comment.

I love how you incorporate some background information with your posts on music, so they are very informative as well. Thanks sweetie, Lucy! :)

If this is all getting too boring for people, then just let me know or something.

Antonín Dvořák "Holoubek, Op. 110, B. 198" ("Holoubek" is mainly known as "The Wild Dove"), this is a Symphonic Poem, Dvořák composed this in 1896.

He composed five Symphonic Poems, all in 1896 and four of them were based around the Balladée collection "Kytice" (Kytice means Bouquet) by Czech folklorist Karel Jaromír Erben.

Karel Jaromír Erben - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jan_Vil%C3%ADmek_-_Karel_Jarom%C3%ADr_Erben.jpg

The première of "Holoubek, Op. 110, B. 198" was on 20 March 1898 in Brünn, Mähren (or what the Czech's call Brno, Morava) and the Conductor was Leoš Janáček, himself an interesting composer, but mainly known for being a musical theorist and folklorist.

The below performance of Antonín Dvořák's "Holoubek, Op. 110, B. 198" was recorded on the 3rd April, 1951 in Prag, the orchestra is the Česká Filharmonie and the Conductor is Václav Talich.

Václav Talich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The duration of the below performance is 19 minutes and 29 seconds, it's all exceptionally wonderful and people should listen to all of it.

Goethe_Faust_I_1808.jpg

wagnerliszt.jpg

Bayreuthfest.jpg

Edited to add comment.

I love how you incorporate some background information with your posts on music, so they are very informative as well. Thanks sweetie, Lucy! :)

Well it's an obsession, I do get concerned that people might find it boring, but it being an obsession I like to give the cultural background information regarding the pieces of music, I of course am unable to stop myself :smoke:

My Great-Grandfather, who's now 98 years young, it's all his fault, he gave me many of his obsessions. Of course where Richard Wagner, Franz Schubert, W. A Mozart and Johann Wolfgang von Goethe are concerned it's branded into the DNA.

I add my Great-Grandmother is now 96 years-young. Her parents died when they were 106 years-old and 104 years-old, they died within a few days of each other, she died first and then five days later he died, they had been married from 1918 until they died, a marvellous happening.

So I've been in the wonderful situation, of not only knowing Great-Grandparents, but also one set of Great-Great Grandparents.

However, thanks Chris, I'm pleased that you like what I comment :thup:

Edited to add comment.

Last edited:
I like it all including classical. I grew up with listening all kinds of music. Music broadens your horizons.

Forum List

Back