How political correctness has ruined this country

And in reflecting on the validity of the point in the OP, in the last month or three months, or whatever, how many posts have you seen criticizing Obama both personally and for his policies, and in response how many posts by liberals calling the criticizer racist?

I don't see how that makes any difference at all.

There have probably been thousand of posts criticizing the $trillion spending spree he went on in his first few weeks as President. Criticizing the President is not racist. During the election anyone who stated they were not voting for him were accused of not voting for him because he was black and for no other reason. In other words, they would have voted for him if he was white regardless of political party and philosophy. The only reason they weren't voting for him was that the was black. Which is a preposterous accusation.

Immie

And in reflecting on the validity of the point in the OP, in the last month or three months, or whatever, how many posts have you seen criticizing Obama both personally and for his policies, and in response how many posts by liberals calling the criticizer racist?

There have probably been thousand of posts criticizing the $trillion spending spree he went on in his first few weeks as President. Criticizing the President is not racist. During the election anyone who stated they were not voting for him were accused of not voting for him because he was black and for no other reason. In other words, they would have voted for him if he was white regardless of political party and philosophy. The only reason they weren't voting for him was that the was black. Which is a preposterous accusation.

Immie
That isn't true. People that weren't voting for him claimed they were being called racist because of it.

Immie
That isn't true. People that weren't voting for him claimed they were being called racist because of it.

Because that was what they were being accused of.

We were made to feel like racist for no other reason than the fact that we were not voting for him. They played the race card throughout the election.

Immie

Immie

We were made to feel like racist for no other reason than the fact that we were not voting for him. They played the race card throughout the election.

Immie
You'll have to find some instances for me to believe that. I was a Hillary supporter and while I watched Hillary being called a racist by rabid Obamabots I was never called one myself.

Immie
You'll have to find some instances for me to believe that. I was a Hillary supporter and while I watched Hillary being called a racist by rabid Obamabots I was never called one myself.

Here are just a couple of links that discuss being racist if you vote against Obama:

Stephanopoulos: Those Against Obama Because He's Black Won't Vote for Any Democrat | NewsBusters.org

Chgo Sun-Times: Now Greeley Says It's Racist Not to Vote Obama | NewsBusters.org

Pat Dollard | Young Americans | Blog Archive » White Democrats That Don’t Vote For Obama Are Racist

Racist voters spell trouble for Obama in West Virginia? // Current

Google = racist vote against obama

You will find plenty of links to stories that claim that people who vote against Obama are racist. Now remember, if the net says it people on these sites (both sides) pick it up and run with it. Partisans on these sites took up the cause and those who were opposed to Obama were accused of being racists.

Now, I realize that this goes both ways. If I remember correctly those who voted against McCain were accused of being anti-vet, but that one really didn't take off as well, but it could have.

Immie

Last edited:

That is the subject of the OT, which asserted that liberals accuse folks as being racist if they criticize Obama.

I just do see that happening with few exceptions, like the one I mentioned earlier.

Do you think the OP is right, or me?

Immie

In my experience, the vast number of liberals made no such accusation. Did a few fringe nuts? Sure. Painting the entire liberal group or saying this is commonplace as the OP does is not accurate, in my experience.

Immie

Here are just a couple of links that discuss being racist if you vote against Obama:

Stephanopoulos: Those Against Obama Because He's Black Won't Vote for Any Democrat | NewsBusters.org

Chgo Sun-Times: Now Greeley Says It's Racist Not to Vote Obama | NewsBusters.org

Pat Dollard | Young Americans | Blog Archive » White Democrats That Don’t Vote For Obama Are Racist

You will find plenty of links to stories that claim that people who vote against Obama are racist. Now remember, if the net says it people on these sites (both sides) pick it up and run with it. Partisans on these sites took up the cause and those who were opposed to Obama were accused of being racists.

Now, I realize that this goes both ways. If I remember correctly those who voted against McCain were accused of being anti-vet, but that one really didn't take off as well, but it could have.

Immie

I think I see why we have the difference in perception. Consider the excerpt from your first cite:

During the roundtable, Sam Donaldson proposed that the country is ready for an African-American President, but noted how “he said he thinks he'll lose some votes because of that, and so the question is what does the word 'some' mean? In critical elections, not just in the South, it may mean something.” Moderator Stephanopoulos then jumped in: “I guess I think that anyone who's not going to vote for Barack Obama because he is black isn't going to vote for a Democrat anyway.” Donaldson, however, soon explained that he was referring to Democratic primary voters: “But I'm talking about the race for the nomination.”

Now you say this is an example of saying that anyone who voted against Obama is a racist. But I see that as a discussion in general terms, discussing that *some* people will vote against Obama because he is black (and as Donaldson pointed out, the question is what is some).

To me, that is a lot different than saying if you vote for Obama you are racist.

I think it is a fact that some voted against Obama simply because he is black, and also some voted for him simply because he is black. That is a racist motivation. But I have never asserted that simply because someone did or did not support Obama they must be racist.

As I said, yes there was a lot of discussion of the effect of racism in the election. If you deemed that to be an assertion that anyone voting against Obama is a racist I could see why you would have your perception.

That is the subject of the OT, which asserted that liberals accuse folks as being racist if they criticize Obama.

I just do see that happening with few exceptions, like the one I mentioned earlier.

Do you think the OP is right, or me?

I think the OP is correct. PC'ness is an assualt on free speach.

What has been posted in the last three months does not matter because we are not looking at a racism argument over that time period. We are looking at a philosophic argument. Racism has not applied since Obama won the election, but given certain circumstances, it can raise its ugly head again.

Immie

In my experience, the vast number of liberals made no such accusation. Did a few fringe nuts? Sure. Painting the entire liberal group or saying this is commonplace as the OP does is not accurate, in my experience.[/QUOTE]

True! That is without a doubt true. But, neither did they decry its use.

The same goes for conservatives. The vast majority of them did not accuse liberals of being "Un-American" for not supporting the War in Iraq aka War on Terrorism, but they... or should I say "we" and include myself?... did not stand up and scream "bullshit" either.

Immie

I think I see why we have the difference in perception. Consider the excerpt from your first cite:

During the roundtable, Sam Donaldson proposed that the country is ready for an African-American President, but noted how “he said he thinks he'll lose some votes because of that, and so the question is what does the word 'some' mean? In critical elections, not just in the South, it may mean something.” Moderator Stephanopoulos then jumped in: “I guess I think that anyone who's not going to vote for Barack Obama because he is black isn't going to vote for a Democrat anyway.” Donaldson, however, soon explained that he was referring to Democratic primary voters: “But I'm talking about the race for the nomination.”

Now you say this is an example of saying that anyone who voted against Obama is a racist. But I see that as a discussion in general terms, discussing that *some* people will vote against Obama because he is black (and as Donaldson pointed out, the question is what is some).

To me, that is a lot different than saying if you vote for Obama you are racist.

No, read what Stephanopolus said.

I think it is a fact that some voted against Obama simply because he is black, and also some voted for him simply because he is black. That is a racist motivation. But I have never asserted that simply because someone did or did not support Obama they must be racist.

Undoubtably, but everyone which was the insinuation?

When the campaign began, I looked at Barack Obama and said, "Now there is a man that I can vote for", but as the election grew nearer, I got less and less enchanted with both parties. By the end I refused to vote for either one. That makes me racist?

As I said, yes there was a lot of discussion of the effect of racism in the election. If you deemed that to be an assertion that anyone voting against Obama is a racist I could see why you would have your perception.

Tell me what else it could have been. There was a reason for the discussion and that reason was that the Obama camp made it a part of the discussion.

Immie

“I guess I think that anyone who's not going to vote for Barack Obama because he is black isn't going to vote for a Democrat anyway.”

OK. He is referencing anyone who's not going to vote for Barack Obama because he is black.

Did you vote against Obama because he is black? If so then IMO you are a racist and maybe that is why you felt like you were being called one.

In not, Stephenopolous' statement was not referring to you.

Undoubtably, but everyone which was the insinuation?

What insuation did I make? This is my point. You are taking a discussion that some are racist as an insuation that everyone who voted against Obama is a racist.

Where we disagree is I don't think that is a fair inference. Clearly some are racist. To state that is not an insuation that everone is a racist.

When the campaign began, I looked at Barack Obama and said, "Now there is a man that I can vote for", but as the election grew nearer, I got less and less enchanted with both parties. By the end I refused to vote for either one. That makes me racist?

Of course not.

Tell me what else it could have been. There was a reason for the discussion and that reason was that the Obama camp made it a part of the discussion.

Immie

Because it is a fact that racism played a role to some degree. On both sides. Lots of cons pointed out that some blacks who voted for Obama are being racist. So is it fair to write an OP about how conservates are too PC because everyone who supports Obama is a racist to conservatives?

Last edited:

“I guess I think that anyone who's not going to vote for Barack Obama because he is black isn't going to vote for a Democrat anyway

OK. He is referencing anyone who's not going to vote for Barack Obama because he is black.

Did you vote against Obama because he is black? If so then IMO you are a racist and maybe that is why you felt like you were being called one.

What insuation did I make? This is my point. You are taking a discussion that some are racist as an insuation that everyone who voted against Obama is a racist.

Where we disagree is I don't think that is a fair inference. Clearly some are racist. To state that is not an insuation that everone is a racist.

Of course not.

Immie

Because it is a fact that racism played a role to some degree. On both sides. Lots of cons pointed out that some blacks who voted for Obama are being racist. So is it fair to write an OP about how conservates are too PC because everyone who supports Obama is a racist to conservatives?

Your "I am Lord Iriemort" is really cheesy, and down right immature. Just sayin...

“I guess I think that anyone who's not going to vote for Barack Obama because he is black isn't going to vote for a Democrat anyway.”

Maybe, then I misread the quote, but the others are clear.

Not your insinuation. You made none. However,The insinuation made by the people at the time was clear. If you are not voting for Barack Obama, it is because you are a racist.

No, it is not. However, if you read those links and others in that goggle, you will see that it was a hot topic of the times and it wasn't simply one or two accusations. It was a hot topic because the Obama camp wanted to make it a hot topic.

Of course not.

You may feel that way... the Obama camp did not want us to believe that.

Immie

Because it is a fact that racism played a role to some degree. On both sides. Lots of cons pointed out that some blacks who voted for Obama are being racist. So is it fair to write an OP about how conservates are too PC because everyone who supports Obama is a racist to conservatives?[/QUOTE]

The cons answered the lib accusations with the response in defense of themselves. Also, I made it perfectly clear that both sides are guilty of the same kinds of actions.

Immie

Last edited:

Immie

Immie
I'll look at your other links later...but the one from Dollard is just another claim that it is said that if you don't vote for Obama you are racist. And if you read Stephanopolus's quote it doesn't say what you are claiming it says.

I'll look at your other links later...but the one from Dollard is just another claim that it is said that if you don't vote for Obama you are racist. And if you read Stephanopolus's quote it doesn't say what you are claiming it says.

Just goggle what I showed. You'll see this was a very hot topic.

Why? Because the Obama camp made it a hot topic.

Immie

Of course not.

Immie

Your "I am Lord Iriemort" is really cheesy, and down right immature. Just sayin...

Thanks for your opinion. Others have commented to me that they thought it is funny, which was the vein in which it was created. I'll take it down after a while.

What do you think about Publius' reaction that he won't even write my name, referring to me in posts as "she (though he knows I'm a he) who will not be named"?

What do you think about Publius' reaction that he won't even write my name, referring to me in posts as "she (though he knows I'm a he) who will not be named"?

I had not read that P.I. was doing that, but I think (except for the she/he part) it is kind of funny. Now, you will forever be known as "he who shall not be named." :D Or at least until I forget about this post.

Immie

Immie
I won't deny that the Obama camp did accuse Hillary Clinton of being a racist. But that isn't what I'm talking about. You stated that many posters/voters were called racists because they wouldn't vote for Obama. As I stated above, I have not experienced that or seen anyone make that charge and from what I can see you aren't able to find any evidence that would change my mind.

Immie
I won't deny that the Obama camp did accuse Hillary Clinton of being a racist. But that isn't what I'm talking about. You stated that many posters/voters were called racists because they wouldn't vote for Obama. As I stated above, I have not experienced that or seen anyone make that charge and from what I can see you aren't able to find any evidence that would change my mind.

That is fine... you are just an obstinate woman anyway... and I say that in jest, so please take it that way! ;) Lord, I hope you are a lady and I have not mistaken your gender over the net.

I'm sorry, but I am not willing to search through tens of thousands of posts to convince you of the fact. You may not have felt it, but I did.

I provided what evidence I could. If you do not believe that liberal posters ran with that talking point, then you are more than welcomed to continue living in your dream world.

Immie

Last edited:

Forum List

Back