How Perry got rich

How Rick Perry Got Rich While Working Government Jobs - Conor Friedersdorf, The Atlantic - NationalJournal.com

Perry bought another 10 acres of undeveloped land in 1993. That property drew interest from Michael Dell, a computer magnate who needed Perry's tract to connect his new home to municipal sewer lines. Dell took the property off Perry's hands for $465,000, more than triple what Perry had paid for it two years earlier. Perry reported a $342,994 profit on the sale in his 1995 tax return.

Texas Democrats have repeatedly questioned the sale over the years, in part because Mike Toomey - an influential lobbyist who would later become Perry's chief of staff - closed the deal for Perry while Perry was out of town. Perry has always maintained he didn't know that the land would be so valuable to Dell when he purchased the property.

Here's another example:

Perry purchased the land from state Sen. Troy Fraser, R-Horseshoe Bay, in 2001 for $314,770. Six years later, Perry sold it for $1.1 million, pulling a profit of $823,776. Perry has attributed the gain to a favorable market for Hill Country land. "We bought a piece of property, the property appreciated and we sold it," Perry said last year.

Most state employees never see $1 million dollars. Then again, when you're "connected" like the governor...gee, somehow you're able to get these wonderful pieces of land and remarkably...they appreciate.

Wonder how much people who owned neighboring plots made?

Obama Says He Regrets Land Deal With Fundraiser

CHICAGO. Dec. 16 -- Antoin "Tony" Rezko is a political insider, an energetic Chicago dealmaker and campaign fundraiser often in the headlines for being on the wrong side of good government. Indicted in October on influence-peddling charges, he also has a habit of befriending prospective political stars.

One of them was Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.), who was offered a job by Rezko in the early 1990s while a top student at Harvard Law School. Obama did not take it, but over the years, the two men stayed in touch, and Rezko backed Obama's successful 2004 U.S. Senate campaign, raising money and contributing his own.

In June 2005, in what Obama now describes as a "boneheaded" mistake, Obama and Rezko's wife bought adjacent properties on Chicago's South Side, closing the deals on the same day. Seven months later, wanting a bigger yard for his $1.65 million house, Obama bought a slice of the Rezko property for $104,500.

After news of the deal broke last month in the Chicago Tribune, Obama said he had erred by creating the appearance that Rezko had done him a favor by selling him a portion of the lot. For the first time since he entered the national spotlight, the 45-year-old freshman senator found himself on the defensive, discussing a personal decision he had come to regret.

Yeah those Pols, they sure are geniuses, aren't they?

They pretty much seem to find windfall investments once they attain power.

Odd coincidence, that.

Odd coincidence, that.

No different than CEO's getting sweet retirement packages and stock options.

Get real. We live in a world of greased palms and good old boy networks.

You guys forgave every crooked deal Clinton did because he brought home the bacon on jobs. Now you are all offended because the OTHER guy does it? Really?

The weird thing is it never seems to sink into them just how hypocrafil they are.

They have this weird brain thing were they can just erase all the past to fit their party over EVERYTHING mode.

I wonder how people get like that?

what the fuck is that?....Hypocrafil?....

The weird thing is it never seems to sink into them just how hypocrafil they are.

They have this weird brain thing were they can just erase all the past to fit their party over EVERYTHING mode.

Near as I can tell it's a combination of apocryphal and hypocritical. As a newly minted word, I kinda like it.

So I will take that as a no that you can not scrape enough brain cells fof your beard or that you could not get them in your ear and or they did not restart.

Why dont you just have another cheese cake and admire your Rovian beauty as it grows.

Us other posters are going to talk politics now

i thought a good Democrat would never make fun of an overweight person?.......i guess i was wrong.....

Near as I can tell it's a combination of apocryphal and hypocritical. As a newly minted word, I kinda like it.

ok....but what the hell does it mean?.....:lol:

Odd coincidence, that.

You guys forgave every crooked deal Clinton did because he brought home the bacon on jobs. Now you are all offended because the OTHER guy does it? Really?

Who is this "YOU GUYS" you're addressing?

You mean me? Obviously you do since you quoted my post.

Note please, JB, that I am casting aspirsions on politicians generally.

If you are NOT offended that politicians of both parties all seem to find these windfall sweetheart investments, then why not?

Is your partisanship so blinding you that you support crooks?

Or are you of the opinion that only one party does this?

These are serious issues and it seems to me like partisans of both stripes treat this issue like a football game.

You partisan are the problem this nation faces, not the solution.

You'll forgive players on your team any crime.

Truly its disgusting.

Hypocrafil?

How Rick Perry Got Rich While Working Government Jobs - Conor Friedersdorf, The Atlantic - NationalJournal.com

Perry bought another 10 acres of undeveloped land in 1993. That property drew interest from Michael Dell, a computer magnate who needed Perry's tract to connect his new home to municipal sewer lines. Dell took the property off Perry's hands for $465,000, more than triple what Perry had paid for it two years earlier. Perry reported a $342,994 profit on the sale in his 1995 tax return.

Texas Democrats have repeatedly questioned the sale over the years, in part because Mike Toomey - an influential lobbyist who would later become Perry's chief of staff - closed the deal for Perry while Perry was out of town. Perry has always maintained he didn't know that the land would be so valuable to Dell when he purchased the property.

Here's another example:

Perry purchased the land from state Sen. Troy Fraser, R-Horseshoe Bay, in 2001 for $314,770. Six years later, Perry sold it for $1.1 million, pulling a profit of $823,776. Perry has attributed the gain to a favorable market for Hill Country land. "We bought a piece of property, the property appreciated and we sold it," Perry said last year.

Most state employees never see $1 million dollars. Then again, when you're "connected" like the governor...gee, somehow you're able to get these wonderful pieces of land and remarkably...they appreciate.

Wonder how much people who owned neighboring plots made?

Seriously, if you were even slightly informed about Texas hill country real estate you would know there is ZERO remarkable about Perry being able to sell that property for a huge gain based upon when he bought and sold it. It was property in Horseshoe Bay off of Lake LBJ, one of the most in demand lakes in Texas. Property values skyrocketed in the early and mid 2000s on almost every lake in the hill country - especially LBJ. You don't know dick about Texas, so either shut up or continue to look like a moron.

Odd coincidence, that.

Who is this "YOU GUYS" you're addressing?

You mean me? Obviously you do since you quoted my post.

Note please, JB, that I am casting aspirsions on politicians generally.

If you are NOT offended that politicians of both parties all seem to find these windfall sweetheart investments, then why not?

Is your partisanship so blinding you that you support crooks?

Or are you of the opinion that only one party does this?

These are serious issues and it seems to me like partisans of both stripes treat this issue like a football game.

You partisan are the problem this nation faces, not the solution.

You'll forgive players on your team any crime.

Truly its disgusting.

I actually work on the operating theory that all politicians are crooks. If they aren't making a shitload of money besides their pawltry salaries (really, much less than an executive in private industry makes) I have to kind of assume they are incompetent.

They are all crooks. But as long as that crook gets me what I want, I don't really care that much. As long as I get what I want.

New Topics

Forum List

Back