How Our Youth Views Gay Marriage

IndependntLogic

Jul 14, 2011
My wife and I volunteer at my daughter's high school. I taught Sunday School at our church back in Texas. As a champion public speaker at Toastmaster's International, I am always invited to judge at the forensics competitions. They always debate the hottest contemporary issues and gay marriage was one of them. Virtually every kid I spoke to who was assigned the "Con" position hated it because they considered it a loser. I spoke to a very impressive young man from a school about calling it a civil union as a compromise. He said the problem is that lots of gays go to church too. Lots of churches don't view homosexuality as a sin. Therefore, it is UnConstitutional for the government to deny them a spiritual ceremony based on the views of the church and its' congregants. Boof. Smart kid.
Even the kids from the most Conservative Christian families know that in 20 years, gay marriage won't be an issue. Virtually every show on The Disney Channel and The Family Channel has a sympathetic gay character. Gays are no longer viewed as freaks or somehow "less than". The percentage of Americans who approve of gay marriage was 20% a couple decades ago. Now it's 50% and that is directly attributable to younger people. In another 20 years, the majority of people who can't deal with it will be dead and the young people of today will be in their 40's & 50's.
Gay marraige will be like inter-racial marriage or the thought of having a black president was, 20 - 50 years ago. Of course back then, the thought of either of those being accepted by mainstream America, was ludicrous and fought viciously by Conservatives. Now, even the most Conservative Republicans will deny they would have ever had a problem with either of those. For example, McCain denies ever being against having a street named after MLK.
Thus it will be with gay marriage. The kids who will be running our country 20 years from now, think it's just plain stupid that old people have a problem with it. So ConservaRepubs can fight this all they want but eventually the inevitible will happen. Gay marriage will be legal in every state and gays will have all the rights and "equal protection under the law" that we straight people do. Which is after all, how it should be.

Forum List

Back