How not to get electrocuted in your bathtub.

westwall

WHEN GUNS ARE BANNED ONLY THE RICH WILL HAVE GUNS
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 21, 2010
Nevada
This guy is pretty damned funny. Some very useful information presented in a funny way.

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

Look, the guy in the video is an idiot. I used to be an electronics engineer, and here are the facts:

1). Any outlet in the bathroom will be a GFI, so you cannot get fatally shocked there unless it is defective.

2). The power from the wall adapter is LVDC, likely 5VDC, no chance of getting a shock there.

3). The ground potential of the plumbing to the tub are also irrelevant in the use of a smartphone. Keep toasters, TV's, radios, and even hair dryers away from water. Again, they will be plugged into a GFI circuit, but nothing is perfect.

4). The only way to get a smartphone shock and burn like the girl did is by a fault with the lithium battery. Or rather, the compartment which sealed it. It must have let water in and her hand completed the circuit. Since the battery can discharge a high current for a short period of time, that is how she got burned. Was there a danger of fatal electrocution? No. To get a fatal electrocution, stop the heart, it would take about 25-40mA across the chest. Not possible to do in this case.

Look, the guy in the video is an idiot. I used to be an electronics engineer, and here are the facts:

1). Any outlet in the bathroom will be a GFI, so you cannot get fatally shocked there unless it is defective.

2). The power from the wall adapter is LVDC, likely 5VDC, no chance of getting a shock there.

3). The ground potential of the plumbing to the tub are also irrelevant in the use of a smartphone. Keep toasters, TV's, radios, and even hair dryers away from water. Again, they will be plugged into a GFI circuit, but nothing is perfect.

4). The only way to get a smartphone shock and burn like the girl did is by a fault with the lithium battery. Or rather, the compartment which sealed it. It must have let water in and her hand completed the circuit. Since the battery can discharge a high current for a short period of time, that is how she got burned. Was there a danger of fatal electrocution? No. To get a fatal electrocution, stop the heart, it would take about 25-40mA across the chest. Not possible to do in this case.

??? GFI outlet? how do people commit suicide or murder by throwing the toaster in the water?

I googled-----what if the persons who did your bathroom did not do GFI outlets?

Nice story, but you forgot to factor in the Russians.

You're assuming it wasn't an older home that didn't have GFI outlets in the bathroom.

??? GFI outlet? how do people commit suicide or murder by throwing the toaster in the water?

That was before GFI was mandatory in wet areas of your home.

You haven't watched Colombo?

You're assuming it wasn't an older home that didn't have GFI outlets in the bathroom.

Anythings possible but in the wall or in the box, GFIC is required in all houses to meet code, and frankly, as easy as it is to put a GFI breaker in your box, your a fool not to have it. If your house is that old and still has fuses in it, etc., a real rarity, then likely the whole house wiring is an overloaded death trap anyway just waiting to short and cause a fire. It's just a matter of time till something gets you.

Anythings possible but in the wall or in the box, GFIC is required in all houses to meet code, and frankly, as easy as it is to put a GFI breaker in your box, your a fool not to have it. If your house is that old and still has fuses in it, etc., a real rarity, then likely the whole house wiring is an overloaded death trap anyway just waiting to short and cause a fire. It's just a matter of time till something gets you.
It wasn't a requirement when older homes were built.

Guys, you are straying from the point. Fuck the GFI. The point of the OP was about getting shocked with a smartphone. The power source there is the battery, not the house wiring, or even the wall charger.

Now, do you want me to tell you that it takes nerve gas to make a lithium ion battery? Lithium is an alkali metal, very close to sodium, and I'm sure you know how dangerous sodium is in water and when it burns. Anything alkali is highly reactive.

Guys, you are straying from the point. Fuck the GFI. The point of the OP was about getting shocked with a smartphone. The power source there is the battery, not the house wiring, or even the wall charger.

Now, do you want me to tell you that it takes nerve gas to make a lithium ion battery? Lithium is an alkali metal, very close to sodium, and I'm sure you know how dangerous sodium is in water and when it burns. Anything alkali is highly reactive.
If I'm not mistaken, the point of the OP was to share useful information from a funny guy on YouTube sharing important info on a tragic incident.

If I'm not mistaken, the point of the OP was to share useful information from a funny guy on YouTube sharing important info on a tragic incident.

What does the guy start off talking about? Then maybe I should tell you how to sit in a tub of water holding a live 600 VAC wire and not get electrocuted. The video guy is so stupid, he grabbed a hold of his own shoddily built Jacobs Ladder rather than kill the power. Don't let him near my house. You go watch the video.

What does the guy start off talking about? Then maybe I should tell you how to sit in a tub of water holding a live 600 VAC wire and not get electrocuted. The video guy is so stupid, he grabbed a hold of his own shoddily built Jacobs Ladder rather than kill the power. Don't let him near my house. You go watch the video.
Do us all a favor and STF.....

Forum List

Back