How Much

WillowTree

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Are union dues per month?

Is it true that you have to pay union dues monthly even if you are not working?

Are union dues tax deductible?

Can an electrician operate a hammer?

1) Depends

2) Depends

3) Yes

4) Yes. I'm IBEW and operate jack hamers, drive forklifts, etc

Union dues are usually a percentage of one's pay determined by by-laws and contract. They go up with raises etc...

You can claim union dues on your tax return.

If you get a paycheck while a union member union dues will be taken. No paycheck, no dues.

Some electricians can operate a hammer. lol

My brother died fairly young (48). He'd been in the Boilermaker 101 since he was 18 years old.

30 years.

After his death, I contacted the Union HQ regarding life insurance and any vested funds.

He had to stop paying dues a couple years before his death because he was out of work and flat-ass broke.

Not a penny from the Union.

My brother died fairly young (48). He'd been in the Boilermaker 101 since he was 18 years old.

30 years.

After his death, I contacted the Union HQ regarding life insurance and any vested funds.

He had to stop paying dues a couple years before his death because he was out of work and flat-ass broke.

Not a penny from the Union.

Hmmm.....Maybe I'll call the company I work for or the lodge I belong to a couple of years after I leave and ask them for life insurance. :cool:

Bottom line: If you stop paying dues you are no longer a member of that organization.

Forum List

Back