How much warming, business as usual, will methane produce?

Steve Case

Rookie
Feb 14, 2020
Milwaukee - WI
Here's a typical news headline (yesterday):

Methane issues at Peterborough landfill a concern for nearby residents
The Peterborough Examiner*

They say:

“In the first two decades after its release, methane
is 84 times more potent than carbon dioxide.”

You know what? That doesn't actually tell you how much warming methane will cause. In degrees Celsius by 2100 or if it doubles in concentration I bet no one on these boards can say how much that is.

Methane is in the atmosphere at about 1800 ppb and is increasing about 6 or 7 ppb annually.
Source: NOAA's ERSL* Earth System Research Laboratory

* Board won't let me post a link because I just signed up.

About as much as CO2....0...

The fact is that there is no radiative greenhouse effect. Convection and conduction completely overwhelm any sort of energy moment via radiation in the troposphere where the radiative greenhouse effect is supposed to happen. Radiation is such a small player in the energy movement through the troposphere that any effect it might have on global temperatures is insignifigant.

There is a greenhouse effect, it just isn't driven by radiation..it is the result of incoming solar energy and pressure...and the composition of the atmosphere is irrelevant...there are multiple planets in the solar system that prove this beyond argument,

As the climate crisis heats up, flooded farms in the Midwest can’t plant corn

I think that the farmers might be having a bit of a problem now.

They want desperately to believe Donald Trump but they know from their own experience that climate change is real.

So they’re hearing from the Republicans it’s a hoax but when they go outside they say no it’s real.

not only that, but farm bankruptcies are skyrocketing and the only reason farm income is up is because Donald Trump gave them over $32 billion in free money.

They want desperately to believe Donald Trump but they know from their own experience that climate change is real.

So they’re hearing from the Republicans it’s a hoax but when they go outside they say no it’s real.

not only that, but farm bankruptcies are skyrocketing and the only reason farm income is up is because Donald Trump gave them over $32 billion in free money.

Climate is always changing...there is not a shred of actual evidence that we have anything to do with it. The earth has yet to completely warm out of the little ice age.

Do you perhaps have any idea what the ideal temperature is for life on planet earth?

The fact is, that if you believe you can detect a fraction of a degree of warming, or cooling in the climate over the course of decades, you have been duped. I doubt very seriously that you could detect a half a degree of temperature change between mid morning and noon...much less detect the same amount of change in the climate over a course of decades. Don't be a dupe.

It is always hilarious when warmists resort to a single day, month or year weather event, but utterly fail to see the big picture of previous decades. Then beat up on a President who doesn't effect the weather or climate at all.

Your topic deflection, and partisan attack is boring and stupid.

They say:

You know what? That doesn't actually tell you how much warming methane will cause. In degrees Celsius by 2100 or if it doubles in concentration I bet no one on these boards can say how much that is.

Methane is in the atmosphere at about 1800 ppb and is increasing about 6 or 7 ppb annually.

Yeah that potency argument is silly since it doesn't tell us what we read need to know, what is the sum of its actual absorption impact on IR, to warm forcing formula as per the IPCC reports.

They say:

Suck the methane out of the landfill and use it for fuel. It would cause alot of warming, which is a good thing .

Methane itself isn't a big contributor to global warming ... Earth's atmosphere is a very corrosive environment and hydrocarbons quickly oxidizes into carbon dioxide ... methane's half-life in the atmosphere is only about 15 years ... with such limited amounts and a short life span, methane's contribution to global warming is well within instrumentation error ... more than just folks here on these boards, no one an say how much ...

Not that our natural gas infrastructure isn't a leaky son-of-a-bitch ... I've heard claims of up to 12% leakage between the well-head and end-user ... but that's not an issue with global warming and more of an issue with things blowing up ... like our homes and businesses ...

ETA: Welcome to the USMB ... I think I'm already in love with you ...

Methane itself isn't a big contributor to global warming ... Earth's atmosphere is a very corrosive environment and hydrocarbons quickly oxidizes into carbon dioxide ... methane's half-life in the atmosphere is only about 15 years ... with such limited amounts and a short life span, methane's contribution to global warming is well within instrumentation error ... more than just folks here on these boards, no one an say how much ...

Not that our natural gas infrastructure isn't a leaky son-of-a-bitch ... I've heard claims of up to 12% leakage between the well-head and end-user ... but that's not an issue with global warming and more of an issue with things blowing up ... like our homes and businesses ...

ETA: Welcome to the USMB ... I think I'm already in love with you ...

There are several sources saying that half life is really around 7-10 years, as this source from PHYS.org

"Methane is a relatively potent greenhouse gas with a high global warming potential of 72 (averaged over 20 years) or 25 (averaged over 100 years). Methane in the atmosphere is eventually oxidized, producing carbon dioxide and water. As a result, methane in the atmosphere has a half life of seven years."

bolding mine

Forum List

Back