How much should doctors make?

atlasshrugged

Jul 12, 2012
I'm an undergrad student planning on going to medical school in 2014. Naturally, I'm heavily interested in new developments connected to the American Healthcare Act. I have a few fears about government healthcare. I'm mostly hesitant because of the expansion of Medicaid to millions of people. It's a system with more paper pushers than providers and it's a pain in the rear for any actual healthcare to get done. But that's a topic for another day. A long term fear of mine stems from the general idea of the government getting a stranglehold on the largest sector of American business.

With our current system, almost all of us feel that hospitals and insurance companies have far too much control over our health and our wallets. We can get almost any test or procedure done, but it will cost us. But what will happen if the government plays a larger role in deciding what tests and and procedures are approved? They must either deny more procedures or they must decrease how much they reimburse physicians. I'd bet a large amount of money that politicians will side with the latter of those options in hopes of gaining more votes.

This leads into my ultimate question. How much should a physician make each year? What about a radiologist or a heart surgeon? Brain surgeons?

Tell me what you think. If you disagree with my earlier assumptions, that's fine too.

They will always be fine no matter how the economy is to be honest. And they are gonna make make more and more every year. I didn't detail this right now because I don't have time. But they make a lot and will always

They will always be fine no matter how the economy is to be honest. And they are gonna make make more and more every year. I didn't detail this right now because I don't have time. But they make a lot and will always

Good point. It's true that they'll never be poor, but that doesn't solve every problem. Right now the cheapest reasonable options for med school are between $30,000 and $50,000 a year for tuition (unless you are a resident of Texas or a few other lucky states). On top of that, very few people can hold a job and keep up with the courses. Finally, once I graduate I will have between 3 and 8 additional years of unpaid residency. So, I'm essentially committing to $200,000 to $300,000 of student debts. If I make it through, it will be worth it and those debts will be paid off in under ten years and that's what keeps me going when I think about giving up. What will happen if that carrot at the end of the stick gets a little less enticing? I'm afraid that some of the brightest students will switch to other lucrative careers and the quality of doctors will go down just like the quality of teachers has decreased in my state.

If you are looking for a reason why doctors charge so much...... two words...

malpractice insurance.

Good point. It's true that they'll never be poor, but that doesn't solve every problem. Right now the cheapest reasonable options for med school are between $30,000 and $50,000 a year for tuition (unless you are a resident of Texas or a few other lucky states). On top of that, very few people can hold a job and keep up with the courses. Finally, once I graduate I will have between 3 and 8 additional years of unpaid residency. So, I'm essentially committing to $200,000 to $300,000 of student debts. If I make it through, it will be worth it and those debts will be paid off in under ten years and that's what keeps me going when I think about giving up. What will happen if that carrot at the end of the stick gets a little less enticing? I'm afraid that some of the brightest students will switch to other lucrative careers and the quality of doctors will go down just like the quality of teachers has decreased in my state.

Well yeah the time and residency is a problem...too many years and resident isn't great pay...you could pay it off in the first couple years....if you are far go for it. You will easily pay it off. And my cousin made the mistake of planning on medical school then he flopped during the last year....it's stressing his parents out.

May I ask what state though?

I know of an orthopedic surgeon....it took a lot of time but he's an easy millionare right now

Well yeah the time and residency is a problem...too many years and resident isn't great pay...you could pay it off in the first couple years....if you are far go for it. You will easily pay it off. And my cousin made the mistake of planning on medical school then he flopped during the last year....it's stressing his parents out.

Yes, I'm from Utah and in most counties the average elementary teacher starts at $32,000. I will still go into medicine regardless of these changes, but it bums me out to think that I'll work so hard for a decade just for people to tell me I'm not worth it. I find it comical that people whine about how expensive medicine is, but they never step back and realize how awesome it is just to have it available.

Yes, I'm from Utah and in most counties the average elementary teacher starts at $32,000. I will still go into medicine regardless of these changes, but it bums me out to think that I'll work so hard for a decade just for people to tell me I'm not worth it. I find it comical that people whine about how expensive medicine is, but they never step back and realize how awesome it is just to have it available.

Who's telling you it's not worth it? It really depends on you....what other careers are you looking into? And if you're willing to take the time it's worth it.

Also remember the best thing about being a doctor is you will find a job and not worry about losing it and also you will not worry about making little money. This job guarantees you great money and you will never be unemployed.

Who's telling you it's not worth it? It really depends on you....what other careers are you looking into? And if you're willing to take the time it's worth it.

Also remember the best thing about being a doctor is you will find a job and not worry about losing it and also you will not worry about making little money. This job guarantees you great money and you will never be unemployed.

Nobody tells me it's not worth it. They complain about doctors making so much and in the mean time I'm thinking "Oh, so ten years of living in poverty, making no money, and working my butt off isn't worth that much money? Thanks." I know I'll love it, and I'm usually a passive guy, but if the government tries telling me that I'm selfish for taking deserved money and providing a priceless service, I'll be very vocal.

Nobody tells me it's not worth it. They complain about doctors making so much and in the mean time I'm thinking "Oh, so ten years of living in poverty, making no money, and working my butt off isn't worth that much money? Thanks." I know I'll love it, and I'm usually a passive guy, but if the government tries telling me that I'm selfish for taking deserved money and providing a priceless service, I'll be very vocal.

Go ahead with it if you can be happy and have enough money to take care of yourself.....let them complain all they want. I've actually seen doctors make a lot more today then yesterday....they keep making more and more money lol

oh they will not be telling you that you are not worth it...... what they are telling you is they dont want to pay for you.... they want someone else to pay for them..... but you are worth every cent.....

they will want the very best out of you.... all the tests...all the bells and whistles.....

just not money out of their pockets.... the nanny state will pay for them to get everything they want.

I'm an undergrad student planning on going to medical school in 2014. Naturally, I'm heavily interested in new developments connected to the American Healthcare Act. I have a few fears about government healthcare. I'm mostly hesitant because of the expansion of Medicaid to millions of people. It's a system with more paper pushers than providers and it's a pain in the rear for any actual healthcare to get done. But that's a topic for another day. A long term fear of mine stems from the general idea of the government getting a stranglehold on the largest sector of American business.

With our current system, almost all of us feel that hospitals and insurance companies have far too much control over our health and our wallets. We can get almost any test or procedure done, but it will cost us. But what will happen if the government plays a larger role in deciding what tests and and procedures are approved? They must either deny more procedures or they must decrease how much they reimburse physicians. I'd bet a large amount of money that politicians will side with the latter of those options in hopes of gaining more votes.

This leads into my ultimate question. How much should a physician make each year? What about a radiologist or a heart surgeon? Brain surgeons?

Tell me what you think. If you disagree with my earlier assumptions, that's fine too.

I think you nailed it. They will charge us and arbitrarily deny Service, about as much as they can get away with. Add Chaos to the equation, and the effect multiplies.

Just for reference, residents are typically paid. The pay isn't great (in the 30k-50k a year range, IIRC), but it's not free work.

don't know how much a doctor should make. I do know this however...If a doctor wants to be treated as a normal person, and not have to pay malpractice insurance. He should be paid like a normal person. If he wants to be paid an ungodly amount of money than he should be held to a godly standard.

What does one become a doctor for? What is the motivation? To earn a living helping people, or make a lot of money out of the misfortune of others?
If education were democratically available as in some other countries, a doctor could leave school without mountains of debt and the necessity of charging enormous sums. That would help. The important element, though, is individual motivation.

Forum List

Back