How Much Say Should Your Employer Have Over You?

Johnney said:
insurance is going to go up regardless. when you get a 5% raise, rates go up 6. (just numbers i threw out there) you cant win.

and how does my smoking off the clock, im my house, car, different state have to do with anything about the company image? im not wearing a sign that says where i work, or have a tattoo across my head about it.

Merlins right, if they have to abide by the companies rules 24/7, pay them 24/7. thats about the most ridiculous thing ive heard in a while. so when can we expect the over weight people to get pink slips? hey its a choice they made (well most of the time its a choice they made, i can understand medical). what about people who cuss off the clock?
wanna kill taxes? leaglize some good old doobage and tax the hell out of it. fucking dopers would pay.

what about fat gay smokers....what about them.... :tinfoil:

pegwinn said:
I I just finished my third job search since retireing from the service. Trust me, getting a job is not a right anymore than smoking is. Once there you, not the employer, decide when or if conditions become worth the hassles of quitting over.

Aha! Therein lies your problem - you may be out of the service, but you still have the military mindset. While I was in, I was the same as you. I was a soldier 24 -7, and that's the way it ought to be.

But it's different out here in the civilian world. Your boss is just another civilian. He makes more than you, but he's not a colonel and he can't have you shot - or even worse - make you do pushups.

:tank:

and how does my smoking off the clock, im my house, car, different state have to do with anything about the company image?

When someone smokes, they smell like smoke.. They can wash their clothes 150 times, but they still smell like smoke. While this doesn't affect the company when you're away from it, I think it affects the company while you're at work, even if you don't smoke at work.

Not saying it's right - if I was told I couldn't smoke, even away from company property, by the powers that be, I'd walk. I don't care how well the job pays - when it starts affecting my personal life, I'm gone.

Shattered said:
When someone smokes, they smell like smoke.. They can wash their clothes 150 times, but they still smell like smoke. While this doesn't affect the company when you're away from it, I think it affects the company while you're at work, even if you don't smoke at work.

Not saying it's right - if I was told I couldn't smoke, even away from company property, by the powers that be, I'd walk. I don't care how well the job pays - when it starts affecting my personal life, I'm gone.

My point is that this is not a choice you should have to make. Employers have absolutely no right whatever to impose such rules on their employees.

Where does it stop? Can an environmentally conscious employer demand that you walk to work? Yes, that's a ridiculous example, but no more so than the issue under discussion.

Eventually, an employer that makes such ridiculous demands is going to find himself without employees.. Without employees, he/she can't make any production quota. Without making quota, they go out of business, making more room for reasonable employers.

However, when it comes to smoking, there's no shortage of people willing to work for a company that doesn't tolerate smoking at all. Each person just has to decide where their limits are.

Employers can only make such rules if employees allow it.

Shattered said:
Eventually, an employer that makes such ridiculous demands is going to find himself without employees.. Without employees, he/she can't make any production quota. Without making quota, they go out of business, making more room for reasonable employers.

However, when it comes to smoking, there's no shortage of people willing to work for a company that doesn't tolerate smoking at all. Each person just has to decide where their limits are.

Employers can only make such rules if employees allow it.

Wonder how long it will take for one of theses "healthy" CEO's to get caught doing unhealthy drugs? or something else for that matter. Setting themselves up for a long fall.

dilloduck said:
Wonder how long it will take for one of theses "healthy" CEO's to get caught doing unhealthy drugs? or something else for that matter. Setting themselves for a long fall.

They've probably got some sick/wicked vice in life.. Nobody can be that tight-assed, and be perfect themselves...

heres a far reacher

you go to a bar thats filled with heavy smokers and you stay for a few hours. now obsiously second hand smoke gets into your lungs or there would be all the crying about it. go to work the next day and get a piss test, fail and get fired. hey you dotn smoke, why you getting fired?

Shattered said:

personally i would have walked too. my home life isnt supposed to affect y work life, so why should my work like affect my home life?

Johnney said:
heres a far reacher

you go to a bar thats filled with heavy smokers and you stay for a few hours. now obsiously second hand smoke gets into your lungs or there would be all the crying about it. go to work the next day and get a piss test, fail and get fired. hey you dotn smoke, why you getting fired?

If you don't smoke, the odds are *pretty* good you're not going to want to stay some place that's filled with heavy smokers... I'd think, anyway.

Shattered said:
If you don't smoke, the odds are *pretty* good you're not going to want to stay some place that's filled with heavy smokers... I'd think, anyway.
i know it doesnt bother some people. when i used to drink alot we had a fwe people with us that didnt smoke, but stayed in smoky bars

Johnney said:
i know it doesnt bother some people. when i used to drink alot we had a fwe people with us that didnt smoke, but stayed in smoky bars

Cigars bother me... I can't tolerate being around them.

Forum List

Back