How Much Power does a President have...

Domestically, not much if congress is against them. If they are the same party it becomes more of a buddy system to assure they get reelected (at the tax payers expense).

Between ignoring the Constitution, signing statements, and executive orders I would say they have pretty much limitless powers.

What can they do on their own?

The majority of a President's powers are percieved, not real. Since FDR, the Executive Office of the President has spread its wings alot. Obama will get more leeway for a couple of reasons. One, he will be the first Black President. Two, he will have a Deomcrat Congress. However, he won't the support he wants from Congress, because they have to get relelected too.

Domestic powers of the US President-

Ensure that US laws are carried
Oversee the creation of new regulatory bodies(ie. Homeland Security)
Create the National Budget
Levey tariffs
propose legislation

I believe this is about it.

The majority of a President's powers are percieved, not real. Since FDR, the Executive Office of the President has spread its wings alot. Obama will get more leeway for a couple of reasons. One, he will be the first Black President. Two, he will have a Deomcrat Congress. However, he won't the support he wants from Congress, because they have to get relelected too.

Domestic powers of the US President-

Ensure that US laws are carried
Oversee the creation of new regulatory bodies(ie. Homeland Security)
Create the National Budget
Levey tariffs
propose legislation

I believe this is about it.

Presidential power did get a bit of a boost after FDR, but got contracted again after Nixon perverted executive power. After Bush came to power, the president, by abuse of executive power, through things like signing statements and claiming executive privilege for things that were not privileged tried to undo the balance of power. But like any extremist effort, the pendulum smacks back. I suspect you will find that the next president will be on a significantly shorter leash, regardless of party affiliation, though to be fair, I suspect that leash will be much tighter around McCain's neck should he win... and Palin would never be permitted to extend the power of the VP by so much as a millimeter.

You forgot the President Commands the entire Military. And short of a Congressional Vote to deny funds he can use them for at least 90 days anywhere he wants.

All American presidents will put Israel's interests above the United States.

Even when a policy is bad for the U.S.

We always go lock-step with Israel no matter the issue.

Why?? :confused:

Because most US presidents thus far have been God fearing. The Jews are chosen people of God and you just don't screw with the Chosen people of God.

More importantly though is because Israel is the most stable democracy in the region. They are our ally and they have more of a problem with terroism than anywhere else in the world. We have never put Israel's interests above our own, but we will do what can for them for this reason.

Because most US presidents thus far have been God fearing. The Jews are chosen people of God and you just don't screw with the Chosen people of God.

More importantly though is because Israel is the most stable democracy in the region. They are our ally and they have more of a problem with terroism than anywhere else in the world. We have never put Israel's interests above our own, but we will do what can for them for this reason.
I hope and pray President Obama changes that dynamic.

Israel is the worse underhanded enemy America has in the world.

**************************************<---Count the Points on those stars.
The Star Of David: Represents the "SHEPARD" The Protector & Sheerer of the Sheep.
SOME PEOPLE WANT TO BE SHEEP! Corralled, Led to Graze, Sheered & Slatered at the Shepard's Direction.

As For Chosen Of God... (Came from: They Chose God ~ of Many Types!)

Last edited:
Presidential power did get a bit of a boost after FDR, but got contracted again after Nixon perverted executive power. After Bush came to power, the president, by abuse of executive power, through things like signing statements and claiming executive privilege for things that were not privileged tried to undo the balance of power. But like any extremist effort, the pendulum smacks back. I suspect you will find that the next president will be on a significantly shorter leash, regardless of party affiliation, though to be fair, I suspect that leash will be much tighter around McCain's neck should he win... and Palin would never be permitted to extend the power of the VP by so much as a millimeter.

Wow Jillian, I have to hand it to you, you can keep up the venom. I think Sarah Palin must have run over your pet cat. Such a hater you are.

Obama will get more leeway for a couple of reasons. One, he will be the first Black President.

I've read that if you don't vote for Obama it's because you're racist. I just saw a black woman on tv who said she voted for Obama primarily because he was black. Is this not also racist?

If Obama wins you believe he will get 'more leeway' because he will be the first black president.

Why should he? What difference does it make that he is black?

Forum List

Back