How much is your gerocery bill?

I'm looking at $400 a month for a family of 3. My husband has suggested that we are excessive, I disagree. So I thought I'd ask and see what everyone else says:)

It depends, you could do it for $200 per month or $1200 per month. Depends on what you buy, where you buy it, if you use coupons or store brands and if you buy in bulk. I rarely use coupons but I buy mostly store brands and I buy in bulk so our grocery bill for two will average $250 to $300 per month.

I'm not a coupon girl, I used to be but I don't have much time for it now. It really depends on the product if I buy name brand or store brand, but since we do most of our shopping at the commissary the prices are really reasonable.

I'm not a coupon girl, I used to be but I don't have much time for it now. It really depends on the product if I buy name brand or store brand, but since we do most of our shopping at the commissary the prices are really reasonable.
I was in the service and I know how easy it is to assume the Commissary or BX has the lowest prices, but that's not necessarily so. How much shopping you do off base/post?

Commissary? $400 per month might be a little high for three people but probably not by much. Again, it depends on what you buy. We don't shop at the commissary, I'm not a retiree, we shop the sales, especially for the higher priced items like meats and will go to different stores depending on what is on sale, as long as they're located close to each other. Don't want to offset the savings with higher car fuel costs.

My dad's retired Army and shops just as much at Safeway as he does at the commissary.

Last edited:
You could cut down on or eliminate meat. You feel better, you're healthier and you save a bundle.

I'm looking at $400 a month for a family of 3. My husband has suggested that we are excessive, I disagree. So I thought I'd ask and see what everyone else says:)

:eek:

i run about $400...... a week..... for 3.

For two of us around $240 a month. We both shop and try to keep it between $50 - $70 a week. The freezer is full now so this week we'll get only essentials.

I was in the service and I know how easy it is to assume the Commissary or BX has the lowest prices, but that's not necessarily so. How much shopping you do off base/post?

Not much.

Unfortuantly there aren't a lot of cheaper grocery stores around here. I buy all my meat at the commissary, it's good quality and fairly priced. I tend to buy produce from a smaller store near us. However I'm always weary of buying meats and even veggies from the local stores because I've had a few people tell me they've gotten sick buying locally because of venders trying to stay cheap and bringing food over from Mexico.

I wished we lived close enough to a Commissary we could go to all the time......

But I spent $300 at Sams, and at least that much more at Giant Eagle this month, for 2 people.......

We can easily spend a $100 week for the two of us, and we don't really limit ourselves either.

I wished we lived close enough to a Commissary we could go to all the time......

But I spent $300 at Sams, and at least that much more at Giant Eagle this month, for 2 people.......

I'm moving within the next month or so back to my hometown. My daughter likes Giant Eagle and Costco. It's gonna be fun shopping at places like that again.

Forum List

Back