How much is enough?

Taxes should be raised enough to pay for all the government we're getting, when we're getting it.

If you don't like that idea, then cut spending, BUT,

you cut everybody's spending, not just the 'other' guys'. That means defense takes a BIG hit, warmongers.

Why don't you give us a realistic solution to this problem. Remember I said realistic, so you can't use the word Church or charity in your response.

or government. Now you go...

Government system is already in place. So I don't need to suggest anything. Aside from ways to make it more efficient, I wouldn't be looking to abolish what we have altogether. So like I said, you tell us how we do it better by starting over completely. Unless that's not what you are advocating.

You said no unrealistic solutions. Government blows at providing assistance. They waste money, foster dependence, spend money on the wrong things and train people not to be generous on their own. That you have your head in the sand and you're not going to pull it out doesn't make you ignoring that reasonable.

Most Republicans seem to think that raising taxes should never occur. AND they are constantly trying to cut them.

Not true. While President Obama has cut taxes on both individuals and small businesses (17 times!!!), pubs don't seem to do anything but raise them. Ignoring Norquist's lies for a moment, we've all heard the Clown Car Candidates tell us they plan to raise taxes on the very poor and the working class while lowering them on those who make $1MILLION DOLLARS or more.

Look back at other pubs. The only one who didn't raise taxes was the little Shrub and that was only because the dolt couldn't count. Instead, he spent like a drunk sailor and made no effort to pay for his spending. His daddy and other pubs, including the hero of of the right, Crazy Reagan, raised taxes on the working class and poor but not on their cronies. (See fascism thread elsewhere.)

The oldest trick in the book and the one the pubs are the best at is accusing their enemies of what they do. FACT: Republicans are the ultimate tax and spend plutocrats.

Taxes should be raised enough to pay for all the government we're getting, when we're getting it.

If you don't like that idea, then cut spending, BUT,

you cut everybody's spending, not just the 'other' guys'. That means defense takes a BIG hit, warmongers.
That means the welfare state takes a BIG hit, comrade.

taxes should be raised enough to pay for all the government we're getting, when we're getting it.

If you don't like that idea, then cut spending, but,

you cut everybody's spending, not just the 'other' guys'. That means defense takes a big hit, warmongers.
that means the welfare state takes a big hit, comrade.

^^this^^

Anyone who's balanced a household budget knows you have revenue and expenditures.

You can't afford steak if you don't go to work for 4 out of 5 days this week.
Yet we have been buying steak in spite of the fact that we don't have enough revenue coming in, because we've willfully LOWERED our revenues. .

Simple quit buying steaks, try a burger now and then.
Same thing with the government. Reel in the spending, the US should stop being the policemen of the world. Exit the mid-east, protect our own borders and eliminate foreign aid.
This would be a great start, then go after the defense spending... when you spend more than all the other countries in the world combined on your defense budget something is wrong.

A social worker came to this ladys house to help her with all the things that need done after a spouse dies. Would it be better for my tenant if there were no funds to pay for a social worker to help her?

If you think it would be better for all for social services to be cut severly, why do you think that?

Why is the only solution you can think of government? What about putting your cold, stingy fingers in your own wallet instead of sending someone to put theirs in mine?

Why don't you give us a realistic solution to this problem. Remember I said realistic, so you can't use the word Church or charity in your response.

My 86 year old next door neighbor has been widowed for 20 years and lives on her Social Security and a small annuity her husband left her. She had a stroke several months ago and can barely walk, even with a walker. She falls backward at least twice a week and calls my wife, who goes to her house and helps her up.

The Church has someone come to her house every day and one or two of them stay with her, cooks her meals, makes her bed, etc., etc. They even take her to the doctor and her rehab classes once or twice a week.

I help out at my Church food bank twice a month (she attends a different Church) so I bring her a bag of food each time. We get her other groceries when we go shopping for ours.

The only government help she gets is her Social Security check and Medicare and, as I recall, she and her husband paid the premiums for those INSURANCE programs and she is now collecting on the entitlements she paid for.

If she wasn't such a picky eater, meals on wheels would bring her hot meals for FREE. I don't believe they are a government operation, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Most Republicans seem to think that raising taxes should never occur. AND they are constantly trying to cut them.

Not true. While President Obama has cut taxes on both individuals and small businesses (17 times!!!), pubs don't seem to do anything but raise them. Ignoring Norquist's lies for a moment, we've all heard the Clown Car Candidates tell us they plan to raise taxes on the very poor and the working class while lowering them on those who make $1MILLION DOLLARS or more.

Look back at other pubs. The only one who didn't raise taxes was the little Shrub and that was only because the dolt couldn't count. Instead, he spent like a drunk sailor and made no effort to pay for his spending. His daddy and other pubs, including the hero of of the right, Crazy Reagan, raised taxes on the working class and poor but not on their cronies. (See fascism thread elsewhere.)

The oldest trick in the book and the one the pubs are the best at is accusing their enemies of what they do. FACT: Republicans are the ultimate tax and spend plutocrats.

No he hasn't. You're talking about tax credits and other assorted magic tricks.

No he hasn't. You're talking about tax credits and other assorted magic tricks.

that shouldn't be happening in the first stead...

Can't wait until the 16th is amended as GONE.

or government. Now you go...

Government system is already in place. So I don't need to suggest anything. Aside from ways to make it more efficient, I wouldn't be looking to abolish what we have altogether. So like I said, you tell us how we do it better by starting over completely. Unless that's not what you are advocating.

You said no unrealistic solutions. Government blows at providing assistance. They waste money, foster dependence, spend money on the wrong things and train people not to be generous on their own. That you have your head in the sand and you're not going to pull it out doesn't make you ignoring that reasonable.

Still waiting for the better solution that you have...

I described the degree, I didn't give you a specific figure off the top of my head. I don't know what each and every one of those things I listed costs, sorry. But like I said, I'd like to start the conversation with those and see where that gets us.
Interesting.
How can you argue 'bloated defense spending' when you admit you do not have even a basic knoweldge of what is spent, where, and why?

I didn't say I don't have a basic understanding, you did. I have seen the figures and I know that military spending is a decent chunk of our expenses (about 15% of the total I believe). I said I don't know how those military expenses break down item by item.

Question: Are you trying to have a civil conversation with me or act like an asshole and try and show me up? Let me know now, so I don't waste anymore of my time.

I guess the fact that you stop responding tells me you weren't looking to have a real conversation. Can't say I'm too surprised.

The tax code should be radically simplified. Scrap all exemptions, tax credits, etc. and simply impose a flat tax rate on all income (salary, dividends, intrest payments, capital gains, etc.) above a certain level.

Certainly there's a LOT of PORK in governments.

And it's YOU PARTISANS insuring that there will always be a lot of PORK in your governments, too.

Damned fools.

Quote: Originally Posted by zeke
A social worker came to this ladys house to help her with all the things that need done after a spouse dies. Would it be better for my tenant if there were no funds to pay for a social worker to help her?

If you think it would be better for all for social services to be cut severly, why do you think that?
Why is the only solution you can think of government? What about putting your cold, stingy fingers in your own wallet instead of sending someone to put theirs in mine?

I am a landlord ie business owner, not a charity. And I give plenty of "breaks" to those struggling.

But I have a good idea; you send me some of your "charitable contributions" and I will give them to my tenant. OK? Don't wait to long, I need to get paid the balance of the rent.

I'll pretend like helping the less fortunate isn't something that America is about for a second just to humor your question.....
You can refuse to admit that your version of morality is -your- version of morality, but that it is remains a fact.
When exactly was I complaining about the government imposing anything on me?
You aren't answering the question.
I asked you what standing you have to complain should others impose their differing morality on you, as you seek to do to them. This question does not requre an instance of it actually happening to be valid.
Well?
I really don't understand where you're going with this. Why don't you cut to the chase..
1: You have no issue whatsoever with imposing your version of morality on others
2: Should someone try to do the same to you, you'll squeal like a stuck pig

Tell me: who are you to impose your version of morality on others?

Last edited:
What ought the tax rate be? Most Republicans seem to think that raising taxes should never occur. AND they are constantly trying to cut them.

Anyone who's balanced a household budget knows you have revenue and expenditures.

You can't afford steak if you don't go to work for 4 out of 5 days this week.
Yet we have been buying steak in spite of the fact that we don't have enough revenue coming in, because we've willfully LOWERED our revenues. Classic Ant and Grasshopper.
Idleness today at the expense of security tomorrow.

So, what should our top tax rates be?
One can see that working class people pay a higher tax rate than the rich.

whopays.png

And the the middle class has been expected to pick up the slack from corporations buying politicians lowering the the effective corporate tax rate though numerous loopholes and dodges.
corpshare.png

That leaves the rich, who saw their tax rate drop by over HALF over the last 30 years or so. What benefits have we realized from all the economic activity that came from "letting people keep their own money"? Jobs? Higher wages for workers?

I would submit that we have passed the line on the Laffer curve that optimizes income by cutting taxes. Now, decreased tax revenues are actually HURTING us, as we cannot pay down our debt because we CHOOSE to not raise taxes.

The same goes for "limited" government. At what point do you "limit" government so much that it becomes impotent and ineffectual? What is the delineation ?

Until and unless we stake out some intellectual boundaries on the tax issue, we'll forever be caught in the fallacy that "If a little of something is good for you, then a LOT must be GREAT!"

Everyone knows that isn't true. Except for Republicans on taxes and limiting government.
And it makes us look like fools or uncompromising jerks.

We should keep the top ordinary income tax rate where its at but reclassify non exempt capital gains as ordinary income.

Are you seriously making a sweeping generalization about America based upon what you read on a freaking political message board?

Perhaps you need to hang out with a different crowd... You know, people who are already donating their time and money to worthy charitable causes - and not because daddy gubmint tells thenm they have to... You might meet some Christians, so try not to call them all assholes...
Wait...
Isn't there something in the Constitution that prevents the government from forcing others to participate in the Christian virtue of charity?

I think it's in their handbook, but with all the shake-up that's going on at Huffington Post lately nobody is keeping it current...
Further evidence that liberals ignore whatever part of the Constitution that happens to be in their way at that particular moment.

Forum List

Back