How much is enough?

TorJohnson

Rookie
Apr 4, 2012
What ought the tax rate be? Most Republicans seem to think that raising taxes should never occur. AND they are constantly trying to cut them.

Anyone who's balanced a household budget knows you have revenue and expenditures.

You can't afford steak if you don't go to work for 4 out of 5 days this week.
Yet we have been buying steak in spite of the fact that we don't have enough revenue coming in, because we've willfully LOWERED our revenues. Classic Ant and Grasshopper.
Idleness today at the expense of security tomorrow.

So, what should our top tax rates be?
One can see that working class people pay a higher tax rate than the rich.

whopays.png

And the the middle class has been expected to pick up the slack from corporations buying politicians lowering the the effective corporate tax rate though numerous loopholes and dodges.
corpshare.png

That leaves the rich, who saw their tax rate drop by over HALF over the last 30 years or so. What benefits have we realized from all the economic activity that came from "letting people keep their own money"? Jobs? Higher wages for workers?

I would submit that we have passed the line on the Laffer curve that optimizes income by cutting taxes. Now, decreased tax revenues are actually HURTING us, as we cannot pay down our debt because we CHOOSE to not raise taxes.

The same goes for "limited" government. At what point do you "limit" government so much that it becomes impotent and ineffectual? What is the delineation ?

Until and unless we stake out some intellectual boundaries on the tax issue, we'll forever be caught in the fallacy that "If a little of something is good for you, then a LOT must be GREAT!"

Everyone knows that isn't true. Except for Republicans on taxes and limiting government.
And it makes us look like fools or uncompromising jerks.

What ought the tax rate be? Most Republicans seem to think that raising taxes should never occur. AND they are constantly trying to cut them.

Anyone who's balanced a household budget knows you have revenue and expenditures.

Yet we have been buying steak in spite of the fact that we don't have enough revenue coming in, because we've willfully LOWERED our revenues. Classic Ant and Grasshopper.

Simple solution: quit buying steak.

Why should the taxpayers have to eat chicken so a bunch of tics on the ass of society can have steak without working for it?

It's time for the tics to go on a diet.

whopays.png

And the the middle class has been expected to pick up the slack from corporations buying politicians lowering the the effective corporate tax rate though numerous loopholes and dodges.
corpshare.png

That leaves the rich, who saw their tax rate drop by over HALF over the last 30 years or so. What benefits have we realized from all the economic activity that came from "letting people keep their own money"? Jobs? Higher wages for workers?

I would submit that we have passed the line on the Laffer curve that optimizes income by cutting taxes. Now, decreased tax revenues are actually HURTING us, as we cannot pay down our debt because we CHOOSE to not raise taxes.

The same goes for "limited" government. At what point do you "limit" government so much that it becomes impotent and ineffectual? What is the delineation ?

Until and unless we stake out some intellectual boundaries on the tax issue, we'll forever be caught in the fallacy that "If a little of something is good for you, then a LOT must be GREAT!"

Everyone knows that isn't true. Except for Republicans on taxes and limiting government.

Great, let's cut government spending to match revenues.

No they don't.

That leaves the rich, who saw their tax rate drop by over HALF over the last 30 years or so.

And yet, they pay more.

At what point do you "limit" government so much that it becomes impotent and ineffectual?

At what point does government stop growing and growing?
Let's cut government by 30% and limit growth after that to the rate of inflation.
Then we'll ask the people if government is too small.

whopays.png

corpshare.png

in my household, when my expenses exceed revenue, I dont go around finding a way to increase revenue for I am likely maxing my revenue as it is.........I simply cut expenses.

whopays.png

corpshare.png

The first thing you do is you stop buying steak. You cut all unnecessary spending first, and if that still doesn't balance you're budget, then you take a second job to generate more revenue.

I'm all for generating more revenue. But if, and only if, the government can prove to me that any extra revenue won't go straight to more unnecessary spending.

Incorrect.
We run deficits because 'we' choose to spend ~43% more money than 'we' take in.

You'll notice the top percent pays more in federal taxation than all other tax payers. So your point is sort of lost completely right there. Again using 10+ yr outdated data doesn't help either.

I think a flat rate of 4% seems fair.

Let's be real... 15% across the board. No loop holes, everyone including companies all pay the same, period.
Bullshit....The feds can run their racket on constitutional lawful duties, imposts and excises, and leave their grimy mitts out of the wallets of the people.

Forum List

Back