How much Higher Education do you have?

and you EZ?...

I have a BS in education with a license to teach Kindergarten to 12th grade Special needs kids with Mildly Mental Handicaps, Autism and Learning Disabilities.

Working on my masters, 6 credit hours at a time. The $$ is in my way-grad school is expensive.

I have a BSBA in general business, and I will finish the requirements for a BSBA in Accounting in 13 days. I will begin the Masters of Accountancy program next August, and I will graduate in April of 2011.

I have a BSBA in general business, and I will finish the requirements for a BSBA in Accounting in 13 days. I will begin the Masters of Accountancy program next August, and I will graduate in April of 2011.

U of A, I assume? You probably walk all over me every day! :lol:

Nah, all my classes are confined to the Walton College and Walker Hall (which is the new graduate business building), so I'm nowhere near senior walk. In fact, I haven't even been on that side of campus in two years, except to go to the registrar's office.

Nah, all my classes are confined to the Walton College and Walker Hall (which is the new graduate business building), so I'm nowhere near senior walk. In fact, I haven't even been on that side of campus in two years, except to go to the registrar's office.

That's right! It's been a while. I've been gone too long to know Walker Hall, but I think I remember where it was planned. I spent all my time up at Waterman. There used to be a running joke about sticking the lawyers next to the bioweapons lab. :razz:

and you EZ?...

I have a BS in education with a license to teach Kindergarten to 12th grade Special needs kids with Mildly Mental Handicaps, Autism and Learning Disabilities.

Working on my masters, 6 credit hours at a time. The $$ is in my way-grad school is expensive.

One time I told one of my Physics professors that he needed to go to the Education Department and learn how to teach. I don't think he appreciated that very much.

and you EZ?...

One time I told one of my Physics professors that he needed to go to the Education Department and learn how to teach. I don't think he appreciated that very much.

So did he go? :lol:

I love taking classes, I really do. I appreciate them so much more now that I'm older, and I love the exchange of ideas with my peers and learning new strategies. And I love writing papers, I'd rather do that then take a test any day!

I love taking classes, I really do. I appreciate them so much more now that I'm older, and I love the exchange of ideas with my peers and learning new strategies. And I love writing papers, I'd rather do that then take a test any day!

I hope so, but I doubt it. His teaching style was completely theoretical, so everything he wrote on the board was an equation. His tests consisted of solving equations. His background was in high-energy physics so that's understandable, but did he really understand the meaning of the solution to an equation or the equation itself? That's the problem with a lot of physicists. Most of the time, it's laziness. "Look at me! I can solve this complex equation, but I have no idea what the hell it means!" Most Mathematicians are like this, but Physicists should know better. :eusa_hand:

(I guess that's a pet-peeve of mine. :eusa_angel:)

Can't believe it's going to be less than a month until I finish my first semester. :lol:

That is if I survive all these papers this weekend. One that is a seven page+ paper for Perspectives on East Asia. That topic being U.S. and Japanese Relations between 1937-1952. :eusa_whistle:

Last edited:
and you EZ?...

One of my education students told me the same when she whined about failing because she came to every class and that means she should have at least a B. I told her she didn't know how to be a student in science. Sad thing is, she was specializing in teaching science, she said.

*facepalm*

(BS Chemical Engineering, PhD Organic Chemistry)

One of my education students told me the same when she whined about failing because she came to every class and that means she should have at least a B. I told her she didn't know how to be a student in science. Sad thing is, she was specializing in teaching science, she said.

*facepalm*

:eek: Yeah, I've noticed there are a lot of teachers who shouldn't be teachers. I guess some of them go into teaching because it's so structured and they'll usually be able to find a job just repeating what they've learned. The problem is they never learned how to think in the first place and therefore don't fully understand the material.

(BTW, Organic Chem was always difficult for me because of the memorization required. That's why I went into Physics rather than, say, med school. Kudos to you.)

*facepalm*

:eek: Yeah, I've noticed there are a lot of teachers who shouldn't be teachers. I guess some of them go into teaching because it's so structured and they'll usually be able to find a job just repeating what they've learned. The problem is they never learned how to think in the first place and therefore don't fully understand the material.

(BTW, Organic Chem was always difficult for me because of the memorization required. That's why I went into Physics rather than, say, med school. Kudos to you.)
Actually, I went into academia because it gave me an opportunity to do my own research on my own terms. That's typically the primary reason for those in my field. Teaching wasn't the primary lure, but one had to enjoy it somewhat. I did. I enjoyed seeing the lightbulbs all of a sudden illuminating. I enjoyed it when my enthusiasm for the topic was contagious.

I also know that no matter what, some just will never like it. And, I know that I did not have the time to try every new teaching approach under the sun to reach all the students. I found methods that would reach the most that I could.

(I left academia, though. Several reasons for it. I am happy I did leave, too.)

And, one of the concepts I tried to instill in my students was that organic was not memorization, despite the rumors to the contrary. There are seven fundamental mechanisms. Learn those inside and out (along with the first principles, of course) and you'll never have to memorize a reaction again. How easy is that? Seriously, it's similar to mathematics - you can derive almost everything.

And, physics is the mother of chemistry in reality, so excellent for you! I bet you would have enjoyed physical chemistry.

Last edited:

Same here! I love being a student. Right now I'm auditing a translation class.

I hated school all the way up till my last year of high school. Then I went to college and wanted it to never end. I took just about every course offered for my double major and even repeated some because I enjoyed them so much.

*facepalm*

Actually, I went into academia because it gave me an opportunity to do my own research on my own terms. That's typically the primary reason for those in my field. Teaching wasn't the primary lure, but one had to enjoy it somewhat. I did. I enjoyed seeing the lightbulbs all of a sudden illuminating. I enjoyed it when my enthusiasm for the topic was contagious.

I also know that no matter what, some just will never like it. And, I know that I did not have the time to try every new teaching approach under the sun to reach all the students. I found methods that would reach the most that I could.

(I left academia, though. Several reasons for it. I am happy I did leave, too.)

And, one of the concepts I tried to instill in my students was that organic was not memorization, despite the rumors to the contrary. There are seven fundamental mechanisms. Learn those inside and out (along with the first principles, of course) and you'll never have to memorize a reaction again. How easy is that? Seriously, it's similar to mathematics - you can derive almost everything.

And, physics is the mother of chemistry in reality, so excellent for you! I bet you would have enjoyed physical chemistry.

I should've had you as a teacher! My Organic Chem instructors were very poor. When I was studying for the MCAT, there was just too much memorization and I didn't enjoy it. I'm exactly as you said: learn a few basic principles (or equations) and then solve everything from those.

(BTW, I've taken.... Lemme try to remember... 3 Physical Chemistry courses, I think, in both the Chemistry department and the Physics department. I remember being impressed with the Chemistry student's knowledge of Calculus.)

Forum List

Back