How much harm should be allowed,....if any?

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
I am not much on any modification of the body of any type, but the list is long of things people can do to themselves, or have others do to them. When is enough,..... enough? I ask because if a person dies from from one of these modifications, shouldn't it be murder? What makes a bullet death worse than a thousand needles of a tattoo infection death?

All kinds of sexual and painful BDSM domination can eventually lead to death, as more is demanded by the sex partners, so I include that as well.

Explicit ornamentsBody piercing - Permanent placement of jewelry through an artificial fistula; sometimes further modified by stretching
Ear piercing - The most common type of body modification
Pearling - Also known as genital beading
Neck ring- Multiple Neck rings or spiral are worn to stretch the neck (in reality lowering of the shoulders).
Scrotal implants[2]
Eyeball tattooing - Injection of a pigment into the cornea.
Extraocular implant (eyeball jewelry) - The implantation of jewelry in the outer layer of the eye.
Surface Piercing - A surface piercing is a piercing where the entrance and exit holes are pierced through the same flat area of skin.
Microdermal implants[3][4]
Transdermal implant - implantation of an object below the dermis, but which exits the skin at one or more points
[edit] Surgical augmentationIn contrast to the explicit ornaments, the following procedures are primarily not meant to be exposed per se, but rather function to augment another part of the body, like the skin in a subdermal implant.

Breast implants - Insertion of silicone bags filled with silicone gel or saline solution into the breasts to increase their size, or to restore a more normal appearance after surgery
Silicone injection [5]
Subdermal implant - implantation of an object that resides entirely below the dermis, including Horn implants [6]
[edit] Removal or splitHair cutting
Hair removal
Male circumcision - the partial or full removal of the foreskin, sometimes also the frenulum--conversely some men choose to take up foreskin restoration.
Female genital cutting - removal of the labia minora or the clitoral hood
Frenectomy [7]
Genital bisection - splitting of both the underside and the top of the penis, including Genital inversion [8]
Meatotomy - splitting of the underside of the glans penis
Headsplitting - splitting of both the underside and the top of the glans penis
Nipple removal [9]
Nipple splitting [10]
Nullification involves the voluntary removal of body parts. Body parts that are removed by those practicing body nullification are for example fingers, penis (penectomy), testicles (castration), clitoris, labia or nipples. Sometimes people who desire a nullification may be diagnosed with body integrity identity disorder or apotemnophilia.[11]
Subincision - splitting of the underside of the penis, also called urethrotomy
Suspensory ligament of the penis
Lingual frenectomy [12]
Tongue splitting - bisection of the tongue similar to a snake's
Trepanation, drilling a hole into the skull [13][14][15]
[edit] Applying long-term forceBody modifications occurring as the end result of long term activities or practices

Corsetry or tightlacing - binding of the waist and shaping of the torso
Cranial binding - modification of the shape of infants' heads, now extremely rare
Breast ironing - Pressing (sometimes with a heated object) the breasts of a pubescent female to prevent their growth.
Foot binding - compression of the feet of girls to modify them for aesthetic reasons
Anal stretching [16]
Non-surgical elongation of organs by prolonged stretching using weights or spacing devices. Some cultural traditions prescribe for or encourage members of one sex (or both) to have one organ stretched till permanent re-dimensioning has occurred, such as:
The 'giraffe-like' stretched necks (sometimes also other organs) of women among the Burmese Kayan tribe, the result of wearing brass coils around them. This compresses the collarbone and upper ribs but is not medically dangerous. It is a myth that removing the rings will cause the neck to 'flop'; Padaung women remove them regularly for cleaning etc.
Stretched lip piercings - achieved by inserting ever larger plates, such as those made of clay used by some Amazonian tribes.
[edit] OthersBranding - controlled burning or cauterizing of tissue to encourage intentional scarring
Ear shaping [17] (which includes Ear cropping [18], Ear pointing or "elfing" [19])
Scarification - cutting or removal of dermis with the intent to encourage intentional scarring or keloiding
Tooth filing [20]
Body modification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
enough is enough when the person getting these things, thinks it is enough for themselves.

we can't babysit people.

that is freedom.

I am not much on any modification of the body of any type, but the list is long of things people can do to themselves, or have others do to them. When is enough,..... enough? I ask because if a person dies from from one of these modifications, shouldn't it be murder? What makes a bullet death worse than a thousand needles of a tattoo infection death

My guess is that more often than not, a bullet death was unsought.

As long as my insurance or government health-care is not covering it or any complications resulting from it, then I don't care.

just because you pay taxes, doesn't give you the right to control another person's life....that's not in the constitution.

there is much that i don't want my tax dollars going towards, like the 100% increase in defense spending....or faith based initiatives....or oil subsidies....or agriculture subsidies... or towards the health care of a mountain hiker, or mt bike rider, or the user of a motorcycle or the health care of a promiscuous guy or gal etc etc etc etc etc but guess what? my tax dollars do go towards these things....

it's tough to keep freedom...especially when it's something that is just bizarre and nutty like some of the things listed in the op, but guess what again? IT'S NONE of our business.

There are certain things we do which if our insurance companies catch us will raise our rates. That is part of having a good system. Think you have an improvement? Suggest it. I always tell the company which holds my home owner's policy to check yards for dangerous trees whenever possible - an ounce of removal beats paying for a 1000 lb branch in your living room.

But really I will say whatever tattoos or modifications you want should be allowed. Got some metal in you? Well I might not let you through airport security w/o taking it off. But when it doesn't involve me, whatever. I am for small government.

For the most part our legal system and health regulations keep tattoo shops and the like safe. Would be curious what the percentages of acceptable injuries are.

just because you pay taxes, doesn't give you the right to control another person's life....that's not in the constitution.

there is much that i don't want my tax dollars going towards, like the 100% increase in defense spending....or faith based initiatives....or oil subsidies....or agriculture subsidies... or towards the health care of a mountain hiker, or mt bike rider, or the user of a motorcycle or the health care of a promiscuous guy or gal etc etc etc etc etc but guess what? my tax dollars do go towards these things....

it's tough to keep freedom...especially when it's something that is just bizarre and nutty like some of the things listed in the op, but guess what again? IT'S NONE of our business.

I disagree. If it is elective or self inflicted, then I should not have to pay. If this were allowed then everyone would be getting plastic surgery just to keep up with the latest Hollywood fashion trend.

As for these wars, us out of the loop citizens have little idea what significance they play.

I disagree. If it is elective or self inflicted, then I should not have to pay. If this were allowed then everyone would be getting plastic surgery just to keep up with the latest Hollywood fashion trend.

As for these wars, us out of the loop citizens have little idea what significance they play.

people do ALL kinds of strange things to themselves that are not even in the op....

being promiscuous is just one of them....that can cause harm to them... and people eat wrong and get illnesses from too many cheeseburgers and crapola....

people participate in high risk sports activities, and people work high risk, dangerous jobs..............

WHERE will your CONTROLLING of other people's personal choices end? you want a NANNY STATE where you can control every individual in the usa because you pay pennies per person in taxes???

I call bull crud on that!

live, and let live!

enough already!

people do ALL kinds of strange things to themselves that are not even in the op....

being promiscuous is just one of them....that can cause harm to them... and people eat wrong and get illnesses from too many cheeseburgers and crapola....

people participate in high risk sports activities, and people work high risk, dangerous jobs..............

WHERE will your CONTROLLING of other people's personal choices end? you want a NANNY STATE where you can control every individual in the usa because you pay pennies per person in taxes???

live, and let live!

enough already!

The Nanny State is a direct result of government healthcare. Now your health & risk is the governments business.

live, and let live!

enough already!

The Nanny State is a direct result of government healthcare. Now your health & risk is the governments business.

i disagree.

If you choose to walk across a street and get hit by a car can I refuse to pay for any care you might need? What if you choose to eat out and get food poisoning?

As for self inflicted, suppose you opt for corrective eye surgery and end up with a severe infection, can I refuse to pay for that?

You have no more business dictating how what other people do than I have dictating what you do. If you honestly think the deciding factor is your money you either loose outright, because the government does not care what you think once they have it, or you tell the government they have no business in health care at all.

Forum List

Back