How much effort do you put into "buy American"

Sep 12, 2008
My parents put in a lot of effort, being good union folk. I personally think it is a bit of a scam, so I don't bother. Best product at best price is the only way to go.

My father passionately hated the Japanese. He had to deal with them on a regular basis in the south pacific between 1942 and 1945, so he earned his bigotry the hard way. (I started getting interested in Anime after he died. I think if he knew I was watching that stuff, he would haunt me.) He went way out of his way to not buy japanese anything. However..

in 1973 the old dodge just gave up the ghost and he had to get a new car. He spent a long time over the decision, and I think it cost him a great deal of angst, but he wound up getting a Toyota. He drove it clear up until 1984, when he got a Ford, which lasted until 2001.

Do you make a big point of buy american? How far do you go out of your way price wise to make that choice? Do you feel you are getting value for time/money for the effort? Why is Buy american a good choice for you?

The best price/quality combination wins my dollar. If that's Japanese or Chinese, so be it.

In my personal experience, American-made hand tools are almost always better than Chinese-made tools. On the other hand, you can't beat the Chinese when it comes to plasticware. And my first car will be Japanese or Korean, not American.

Forum List

Back