*How Much Does What You Do, Or Believe: Effect Who You Are?

Sorry bout that,

James,

Personally I believe it's a matter of how one puts their beliefs into action that defines who and what a person is...

For example... At one time I seriously considered a career in Law Enforcement. I decided not be because my belief in Justice over Legality would have made me a very poor police officer. I would have been likely to shoot a repeat, violent offender and plant a gun on the body if I felt it was likely the court system would have turned them back out on the street.

On the other hand, I almost got myself fired a couple years ago because I refused to work on a construction plan for a Planned Parenthood facility in Worcester, MA for moral reasons.

It's about how one puts one's beliefs into action in your every day life, your work, and your life in general that makes one a good or bad person.

At least those are my thoughts on the issue.

1. So its what we believe about ourselves that define whom we become, the job has nothing to do with it?
2. Our *self image* defines whom we are, and nothing but that?
3. So you had an issue about the planned parenthood site, but then after weighing losing your job, you acquiesced?
4. So in that instance you chose the job over your beliefs?
5. And seeing you injected this fact, how do you feel about that now?
6. I really didn't want to make this personal, folks, but I guess its hard to do when asking these sort of questions.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

1. So its what we believe about ourselves that define whom we become, the job has nothing to do with it?
2. Our *self image* defines whom we are, and nothing but that?
3. So you had an issue about the planned parenthood site, but then after weighing losing your job, you acquiesced?
4. So in that instance you chose the job over your beliefs?
5. And seeing you injected this fact, how do you feel about that now?

1. That depends on the individual. In many cases people will go into specific career fields because of their belief system. Very few people will engage in a career that is completely contrary to their beliefs, unless there is Significant financial interest involved.

2. No. I was able to arrange to swap the job with the other Designer in the Department in return for taking two jobs that he had on his desk. If I had not been able to work out that arrangement, I would have been fired for Insubordination and Refusal to Complete Assigned Tasks.

3-5. No, but I understand that wasn't quite clear in my first comments. I was quite ready to lose my job over the issue. I have had a similar issue with a co-worker who doesn't like that I carry my pepper spray onto company property in direct opposition to our "No Weapons" policy. I've told him that if he thinks it's that big a deal he can report me and then take on my workload when the company fires me. He seems amazed that I am willing to lose my job over it.

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

Chesswars, you OP is fine. What you do defines what you are. What you think defines who you are. It may come from your religion, but I think it really comes from your heart.

1. So your saying its from the heart, not your mind, so you think its your heart that leads you to the choice of what sort of job you will take, and maybe perhaps you already know where that job will lead you, so you go with that path in order to fulfill who you already are?
2. And humankind in general, never make that mistake of taking on the wrong sort of job, we are just following our hearts to its final conclusions?
3. I do not agree with that sort or reasoning, I think life is more complex that that, and I think no one decides to be a whore or murderer, but some how they end up there anyway.:confused:
4. How do you think a person becomes a whore or a murderer?
5. Great question!

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Generally speaking, I would say greed, low self esteem on the part of the prostitute, and sickness on the part of the murderer. Just off the top of my head.

People choose the careers where they think they can be successful and enjoy...heart.

I chose a job with little financial gain although school records indicated a high IQ (Then, lol!) and a family of successful people. I just didn't have the personality for "dog eat dog" careers! I had a love for children and followed my heart.

1. I think that people whom whore themselves don't always have to be a prostitute, but how does a prostitute decide to be one?
2. I would say they didn't find love within the home network, from the beginning, they never knew what love was, and they long for it, and that in-turn relates to why they end up giving strangers *love*, sex, *in their mind*, for money.
3. Proper guidance as a youth, in the lessons of love, showing love, accepting love from your parents, if its given, which isn't always the case, this is a *major factor*, on if you become a whore, the inability to accept the love given can tend to guide your path from an early age, and can make you follow a path to being a whore, in nature, if not in fact.
4. Humans are a creature of nature/habit, we follow patterns that are set at an early age, these patterns and choices stay with us, and help define us, as humans, we who know this have to work very hard to reach those who are following a destructive path, out of respect for our fellow man/women/child.
5. A murderer......, now how do I think they come about?
6. I think that a murderer is a person not unlike a whore, who didn't receive love much from his/her parents, they didn't feel included, more or less castaways, hurt to their core as a child, unreachable, from others, and usually practiced killing before they try it on humans, hunters are always in danger of follow a path to kill humans, they know very well the outcome, and know the finality of killing, and they learn to enjoy it.
7. This I think defines a murderer, he/she; *feels nothing*.
8. People whom laugh when you get hurt, those types of people I would watch carefully, if they were known to be my friend.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. I think that everyone has a *moral compass* which it indeed guides us, our innate principles, that somehow take root within ourselves, that can over come a job that would normally make others into something they never signed on for, but the job itself grinds most people down, but on some it sharpens them as a human being, and does not grind off the corners in their lives, till they submit to what effects it has on 90% of most people, doing that very same job.
2. So how does a person develop a strong *moral compass*?
3. So what is a *moral compass*?
4. And where can I get a new one if mine is broken, you may then ask?
5. If indeed you agree this is what indeed effects our lives to any degree *at all*.
6. Does an atheist have a automatic, *moral compass*, he/she looks on, unknowingly?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

1. In understanding human nature/habits, your own or others, just remember this, *Even a cactus makes a flower*.
2. So what you see isn't always what is, and what you think is, isn't always the true reality.
3. If I were to try to reach over the internet and try to help you, yet your nature couldn't accept my help, and you were offended, was I made better or worse, from trying to help you, *if* it didn't take, or if you are hurt or offended instead of being helped, does that weigh on me, or should it be exclusively your fault, and am I at fault for even reaching out to you a fellow human being?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

1. A question for the ages.
2. Is what you do make who you end up being?
3. Does what you believe in religion effect who you are?
4. Is it possible to be something better than what your doing/believing, even when it is trying to make you become something different than you wanted it too?
5. Am I likely to be a better person in certain fields of work, or a worse person in other fields?
6. If I am a pig farmer, what does that make me as a person?
7. If I perform abortions, what does that make me?
8. If I provide the lethal injections to criminals what does that make me?
9. If I clean up dead animals from the road ways, what does that make me?
10. If I am a banker who's job it is to foreclose on people, what does that make me?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
1. It's been asked before, but OK. *If so who?*
2. Depends what the doing is. *So what you do, does make you whom you become to a degree?, your saying?*
3. It's a big factor. *So some religions may lead you to a better ending then?*
4. There is nothing that would make me different than I wanted it too. That's for fuckin' whimps. *This isn't just about you, its about us, and the humankind in general, so who you are has no reflection on what you do, *at all*? and what is it that you do???*
5. Can't answer that. I'm not you. *Again, this isn't about you or me, its about the human condition, and how what we do can and does effect our being.*
6. A provider for the masses and your family. *You again missed the point.*
7. A cold person in most situations. *Could be you understood the point here*, *nice*.
8. A person carrying out a lawful order, as ordered by a judge. *What if its proven through DNA after the death of a person, said person was indeed innocent, who you were the one that injected said dead person? Could that have an effect on you then?*
9. A person who picks up dead animals on a road way. *Missed the point again.*
10. A person who is doing their job.
10.*Again.*, this may be over your head.*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
1) Saw something very similar on the ol' MSNBC board a few years back. Don't know who.
2) Yes, for example. What I did was go to Le' Cordon Bleu in France for a culinary degree. I then worked my way up to chef and owner of my own establishments. That's what I became. Just one example of many.
3) Yep!
4) I provide for my family very well. That's my main obligation in life, and the one I take most seriously.
5) Fair enough.
6) No I didn't. You asked if you were a pig farmer, what does that make you?
8) I wouldn't worry about it. That's for those who wrongfully prosecuted to worry about it. I would have just been carrying out an order.
9) No I didn't. You asked if you clean up dead animals on the roadway, what does that make you.
10) It's not over my head, If it's ones job to foreclose on people who can't care take of their personal responsibilities, then by foreclosing, one would be doing their job.

Sorry bout that,

This gets really complicated very fast. Does your existence in itself exist? Sadly we are limited by language ,the very thing that allows us to think, as to how deeply we can think and because of this none of this can be answered.

1. Sure this is the question most can't even fathom, even after reading it.
2. Its way over their heads.
3. Do all choices in life come with certain proven ramifications?
4. If I were a embalmer, would I be presupposed to having no pity to death, or the dieing?
5. Embalming would be my gig, and the more I embalm the better my pay, so after awhile I would be numb to death, and suffering, wouldn't that make me into something I may have not planned on?
6. This is in-fact a very deep subject, and not for the weak minded.
7. Take caution folks.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Of course it is impossible to fathom given if you think deep enough then you begin tripping over the definition of words. The only ones who claim to comprehend merely have not thought deep enough to get into that issue.

Sorry bout that,

1. I think that everyone has a *moral compass* which it indeed guides us, our innate principles, that somehow take root within ourselves, that can over come a job that would normally make others into something they never signed on for, but the job itself grinds most people down, but on some it sharpens them as a human being, and does not grind off the corners in their lives, till they submit to what effects it has on 90% of most people, doing that very same job.
2. So how does a person develop a strong *moral compass*?
3. So what is a *moral compass*?
4. And where can I get a new one if mine is broken, you may then ask?
5. If indeed you agree this is what indeed effects our lives to any degree *at all*.
6. Does an atheist have a automatic, *moral compass*, he/she looks on, unknowingly?

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

What an excellent post, Sir James. That is what this is all about. My father once said, "Where did you brother and you get all this righteousness? You certainly didn't get it from me! " I didn't think at the time he meant "self righteousness, but my brother and myself grew up to be direct opposites of my parents. Not that they weren't good, but not loving, either.

So where did we get our moral compass? Never went to church, didn't know the phrase, "I love you..." Interesting thoughts. Yet, it was innate. But how? (Actually, I know the answer, but it is a spiritual one)

Last edited:
Your Moral compass is created by what everyone else does(Humans aren't really all that smart)

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

1. It's been asked before, but OK. *If so who?*
2. Depends what the doing is. *So what you do, does make you whom you become to a degree?, your saying?*
3. It's a big factor. *So some religions may lead you to a better ending then?*
4. There is nothing that would make me different than I wanted it too. That's for fuckin' whimps. *This isn't just about you, its about us, and the humankind in general, so who you are has no reflection on what you do, *at all*? and what is it that you do???*
5. Can't answer that. I'm not you. *Again, this isn't about you or me, its about the human condition, and how what we do can and does effect our being.*
6. A provider for the masses and your family. *You again missed the point.*
7. A cold person in most situations. *Could be you understood the point here*, *nice*.
8. A person carrying out a lawful order, as ordered by a judge. *What if its proven through DNA after the death of a person, said person was indeed innocent, who you were the one that injected said dead person? Could that have an effect on you then?*
9. A person who picks up dead animals on a road way. *Missed the point again.*
10. A person who is doing their job.
10.*Again.*, this may be over your head.*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas
1) Saw something very similar on the ol' MSNBC board a few years back. Don't know who. * I don't know man, I guess you want me to take your word for it then?, but then if their was some mention of this kind of topic, then it could be googled?*
2) Yes, for example. What I did was go to Le' Cordon Bleu in France for a culinary degree. I then worked my way up to chef and owner of my own establishments. That's what I became. Just one example of many. *So you think seeing you got a job cooking, then having your own joint, somehow this had made you what you are? What you could of been doing something else you think would of made you a whole different type of person then?*
3) Yep! *So which religion offers the best life experience, or reality in your mind?*
4) I provide for my family very well. That's my main obligation in life, and the one I take most seriously. *We should be willing to do that as just a normal consideration to reality, but how does your work effect you personally, not how it reflects on your family, does your job make you something you hadn't expected it too, is what this is about.*
5) Fair enough.*If you will expect that your choice in a job has no effect on you as a person, then why do others think differently?*
6) No I didn't. You asked if you were a pig farmer, what does that make you? *Being a pig farmer would of course have its own set of draw backs, which would indeed have an effect on you as a person, or partner in life, pigs have a certain connotation, and in-turn have a certain amount of draw backs.*
8) I wouldn't worry about it. That's for those who wrongfully prosecuted to worry about it. I would have just been carrying out an order. *But, your the one who did the order, you did what you were told, but still your hands made the mistake, and that innocent mans blood is on your hands, some would say, never mind others made the call, your hands carried it out.*
9) No I didn't. You asked if you clean up dead animals on the roadway, what does that make you. *A person who has to carry away the dead, and destroy it, has a certain amount of issues to deal with, I think it would wear really fast on a person, and be harmful to the mindset too, some jobs have a built in negative aspect to them, doing this is one that I see would be very difficult.*
10) It's not over my head, If it's ones job to foreclose on people who can't care take of their personal responsibilities, then by foreclosing, one would be doing their job. *I'd say this job would have certain ramifications too, many pitfalls to avoid, I can only imagine.*

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Sorry bout that,

Sorry bout that,

This gets really complicated very fast. Does your existence in itself exist? Sadly we are limited by language ,the very thing that allows us to think, as to how deeply we can think and because of this none of this can be answered.

1. Sure this is the question most can't even fathom, even after reading it.
2. Its way over their heads.
3. Do all choices in life come with certain proven ramifications?
4. If I were a embalmer, would I be presupposed to having no pity to death, or the dieing?
5. Embalming would be my gig, and the more I embalm the better my pay, so after awhile I would be numb to death, and suffering, wouldn't that make me into something I may have not planned on?
6. This is in-fact a very deep subject, and not for the weak minded.
7. Take caution folks.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Of course it is impossible to fathom given if you think deep enough then you begin tripping over the definition of words. The only ones who claim to comprehend merely have not thought deep enough to get into that issue.

1. Perhaps its true, maybe your having problems as are many about their career choice, and what its helped you become?
2. We all learn from our surroundings, and situations, it tends to mold us unknowingly, we spend time in a field and when we come out, we don't really take a look at what effect its having on us, we look the other way, make excuses, for our actions.
3. We plan reasons to excuse ourselves, we work it into the mix, in order to justify our beings.
4. We humans have the capability to turn off the, *reality switch*, and become nonjudgmental towards our own beings.
5. We excuse our actions on a daily bases, and walk away free and clean without a hint of something amiss, we indeed fool ourselves.
6. But when things go bad, we blame God, we cry out to God many times that life isn't fair, and those whom have no God, they are alone with the guilt of nothingness, blank stair, into the abyss, how one deals with that I can only imagine, for if humans have no God to blame, then we have nothing to complain about, we just live a life as a elk in the woods, awaiting the wolves to come and haul us to the ground and chomp our bones.
7. Its hard not to blame God, its in our fiber, as humans, we are so weak, and incapable to understand the realities of life, we are born, and one day our bodies die, and if everythngs right and good, those whom loved us, make sure we are properly buried.
8. And this is where ones beliefs kick in, having God as a system of belief, does indeed help ones family when those whom live within it die, they have God to blame, and that takes away some of the sting of the loss of the loved ones, its something God designed into humanity himself, and its always worked in the past, but as long as you don't go over the top with the anger at God, its fine, its expected, and its comforting to know we all have God to blame to a degree, but you have to realize that its not all Gods fault, its just a reality of life, and those whom have died wake up in heaven as long as they are right with God.
9. I try my best not to blame God for for these realities, and its one of my best accomplishments, to tell the truth, its been difficult, and I have been through some tough times, but I have stood firm by God, and held my ground, the ground that God has placed me on, and the evil elements of this world try to attack me, and displace me.
10. The best Biblical scripture, that describes this is, "Yea though I walk through the valley of shadow of death, I will fear no evil", Psalm 23.....
11. Never truer words have been spoken.

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Code:
I exist therefore I think I exist.

Or you think you exist therefore you exist merely by the thought of existing ( again this gets to complex to comprehend)

Forum List

Back